Military Aircraft: airshows, operational, whatever, lets see what you have!

Roo

CR Pro
Sep 12, 2013
Melbourne
Another beautiful series. The Spitfire in B&W, WOW!
d055.gif

Well done Roo.
Hi Roo.
Excellent series, but the b&w treatment on the Spitfire, very evocative. (y)(y)

Cheers, Graham.

The color version is nice but the moodiness created by the light, clouds and background screamed for it to be B &W :)

Upvote 0
Thanks Click, Wiebe and Graham

The camera and lens are good as new but I did have my only CFast fail on the Thursday before the show. Being Easter weekend and a small country town, there was no where to get a CFast or even a CF replacement. Switched all my CF cards to the 1D and picked up a SD for the 5D on the Saturday morning - that caused me to get stuck in traffic to the show and I missed getting shots of the 3 Spitfire formation (MkIX, Tr9 and MkXIV)... looked good from the road though!
[...]
How many Yaks/Nanchangs can you fit in one image?

Diagonally one more then if they were horizontal :ROFLMAO:;)

Excellent pictures, I'm not going to repeat the praise for the Spitfire...
W.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Roo.
Very nice series.
I’ll play, Allison top, Rolls Royce bottom, (I believe they are both technically Merlin engines?)
Edit, oops, the Packard would be the ”other Merlin”!

Cheers, Graham.

Allison and Merlin powered P-40s. Which is which?
View attachment 189110

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Roo

CR Pro
Sep 12, 2013
Melbourne
Hi Roo.
Very nice series.
I’ll play, Allison top, Rolls Royce bottom, (I believe they are both technically Merlin engines?)
Edit, oops, the Packard would be the ”other Merlin”!

Cheers, Graham.

Thanks Graham!

Good call - the Allison is a little longer in the nose and has an additional scoop at the top.

Tyabb Airshow (275 of 320).jpg

Tyabb Airshow (276 of 320).jpg

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

dcm

Enjoy the gear you have!
CR Pro
Apr 18, 2013
Colorado, USA
Spotted a fast moving, high altitude. 3-plane trailing formation, typical of bombers, on an abnormal flight path. And look what we have. My dad flew B-36s and B-52s during his USAF career so holds some special meaning for me.

Not the greatest image, but thought I'd share anyway. 1DXII/100-400II/1.4xIII (100% crop).

dvmtthws-20200316-1437131.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Roo

CR Pro
Sep 12, 2013
Melbourne
Spotted a fast moving, high altitude. 3-plane trailing formation, typical of bombers, on an abnormal flight path. And look what we have. My dad flew B-36s and B-52s during his USAF career so holds some special meaning for me.

Not the greatest image, but thought I'd share anyway. 1DXII/100-400II/1.4xIII (100% crop).

View attachment 189260

Don't often see B2s in the wild. Well done! After having Speedweek here and my Easter visit to Warbirds over Wanaka cancelled, I'll take any fix I can get at the moment :ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0

dcm

Enjoy the gear you have!
CR Pro
Apr 18, 2013
Colorado, USA
Don't often see B2s in the wild. Well done! After having Speedweek here and my Easter visit to Warbirds over Wanaka cancelled, I'll take any fix I can get at the moment :ROFLMAO:

Expected a B1 northbound out of Dyess AFB in Texas to Powder River River Training Complex or Ellsworth AFB in South Dakota. Figure they were cruising at FL400 (40K feet - I was standing about 8700 feet) and shooting at about a 45 degree angle, so around 8.5 miles to target.

Not a lot of contrails out there right now with the airline cutbacks. Better chance of catching a military aircraft.

Upvote 0

Roo

CR Pro
Sep 12, 2013
Melbourne
It's never an airshow without a Spitfire - Temora Aviation Museum's MkIX
Tyabb Airshow (270 of 320).jpg

Or another Mustang :D Judy Pay's Australian built CAC CA-17
Tyabb Airshow (296 of 320).jpg

Paul Bennet's massive TBM-3 Avenger torpedo bomber
Tyabb Airshow (254 of 320).jpg

With bomb bay open. One of the landing gear is slightly down - apparently there are no gear locks, just hydraulics holding it in place. He was able to fix it in flight.
Tyabb Airshow (256 of 320).jpg

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Roo

CR Pro
Sep 12, 2013
Melbourne
Hi Roo.
They got that show in just in time then, or was it the end of the season for you guys?
Beautiful series of shots.

Cheers, Graham.

Thanks very much Graham

It was just in time as it was the week before the Grand Prix. I got 1 day of shots there before they closed the show down. I had planned on going to 2 big airshows and there were a couple of smaller ones through until early May but all are cancelled. The biggest one was Warbirds over Wanaka at Easter in NZ. Not a lot of fun to be had at the moment - my MkIII turned up last week but I haven't even fired the shutter yet :ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Roo.
Wow, cancelled halfway through the show! I‘m still trying to have fun although there will be no shots from the Goodwood Members Meet this year which we should have got home from yesterday! :( We still have tickets for the Goodwood Revival later in the year but I’m betting there will be no large gatherings for at least the rest of this year! :cry::cry:
I have been working on a much smaller scale, :unsure: think a full stack of rings and a reverse mount! Expect to see some shots in the macro thread at some point, just as soon as I can get some worth sharing! :ROFLMAO:
Best get that Mk III tested with a few shots, just in case you got the dud! I call it me please, if there is a dud in the stack I can pick it! I once pulled the second flat packed garden bench from the stack saying “ha ha, I’ll leave the broken one for someone else,“ got home and guess what, one of the castings was cracked! Yep I’d definitely get the dud camera! :LOL:

Everybody please stay safe, follow the rules and we can make it through this. (y)(y)

Cheers, Graham.

Thanks very much Graham

It was just in time as it was the week before the Grand Prix. I got 1 day of shots there before they closed the show down. I had planned on going to 2 big airshows and there were a couple of smaller ones through until early May but all are cancelled. The biggest one was Warbirds over Wanaka at Easter in NZ. Not a lot of fun to be had at the moment - my MkIII turned up last week but I haven't even fired the shutter yet :ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0