mini review: Yongnuo 568EX

Status
Not open for further replies.

rt

Aug 14, 2012
Pi said:
rt said:
Hi, does anyone know if YN-568EX (or YN-565EX) can be used as a slave for a Powershot S90 / S95 / S100 / S110? I mean a dumb slave in manual mode of course (I'd like to bounce it from the ceiling).
You can use even the cheaper YN 560 II that way.
Well, maybe, but I am looking for a flash that I will be able to use with my DSLR in all-auto ETTL mode (to go with my Canon Speedlites) *and* in dumb mode with my Powershot.

Can anyone confirm these flashes actually work with Sxx as optical slaves, are there any problems with the preflashes that the Powershot emits?

Upvote 0
Dave_NYC said:
tolya99 said:
interesting. I am considering getting one of those myself to supplement my 5d3 occasionally. one of the things that bothers me is that on eBay they usually listed as compatible with specific canon models. I asked one seller if his flash works with 5d3 and he said it won't, even though it's listed for 5d and 5d2... anyone knows if there really is difference, or seller and I misunderstood each other (sellers English was not great). I am also concerned about buying from China: in case flash arrives dead I would hate to pay for return shipping.

I use the 568EX with a 5D3, sometimes atop the camera, sometimes on YN622c triggers. No problems here.

Got them from a US based seller on ebay too - gaingameoutlet. Shipping was free, I believe they have 568EX's for $168 now (I paid a little more for mine back then, but not a lot).

wow, even more interesting! i was quoting the response i got from the very same seller! either the seller does not know what he/she is selling, or there's more than one variety of 568ex...

Upvote 0

mw

Mar 25, 2012
As with many of you, I was a bit skeptical about the product being from China and all. But you know what, I am very surprise and happy with the 568EX.

Purchased directly from Yongnuostore.com. Took about 2 weeks to get here. Tried and test it on my dear 20D for several days. All went well, then I had it on my 1D4 and 5D3. Works as expected thus far.

Upvote 0
Youngnou is working great. Even the cheapest models are doing its job. Here you definently get the alot of gear for the money.

POLICAR: I would recomend you to also take a look at reflectors. To reflect sunlight with 2-3 reflectors gives the same result, and are probably an easier entry to reach youre goal. You see the light with a reflector,and it stays the same all the time. the problem with a flash is that it has to reload, and it is much more tricky to get it right. And even with a flash, to flash on a reflector will be a great gain for outdoor portraits.

Upvote 0
kentandersen said:
Youngnou is working great. Even the cheapest models are doing its job. Here you definently get the alot of gear for the money.

POLICAR: I would recomend you to also take a look at reflectors. To reflect sunlight with 2-3 reflectors gives the same result, and are probably an easier entry to reach youre goal. You see the light with a reflector,and it stays the same all the time. the problem with a flash is that it has to reload, and it is much more tricky to get it right. And even with a flash, to flash on a reflector will be a great gain for outdoor portraits.

Thanks. The issue I see is that most of those portraits are staged in the shade. And so the fill from a reflector would be less than if the subjects were backlit. Would a single flash bounced from a silver umbrella right off-camera provide enough light during the day for fill? I can bring in reflectors, too. We'll have a full grip truck nearby (6x6, 8x8, 12x12 ultra bounce and lamé, HMIs, bead board, etc.) but the key here is SPEED. As regards metering and ratios, I can chimp fast.

Upvote 0
james2012jjjphoto said:

yes, very attractive -- 0% positive reviews on that seller! are you that seller or somthing? seriously do people just buy from anywhere that puts up a picture and a shopping cart? thats not a risk I'm willing to take. There are some important details to keep in mind when purchasing third party offshore equipment outside of the normal dist channels (trusted suppliers):

1. The seller might be a A U.S. seller but that doesn't guarentee fresh inventory or a return policy. theres a reason why the lead time is short -- they are adding value by storing inventory.

2. there are retailers claiming to be official yongnuo retailers that are not. There are storefronts and sellers on Ebay and Amazon that are not reputable.

3. pick a reliable seller that has a reputation and a known interest in satisfying customers. yes I'm quite pleased with thephotogadget.com and I wouldn't order Yongnuo from anyone else, frankly. If you can find a U.S. based retailer that you know has fresh inventory, good customer service, and a good return policy for tjhe same price as buying direct from China, then you will know that something is goofy.

Upvote 0

jasonmstone

Canon 6D
Jun 6, 2013
Hey dlleno,

Thanks for the review. I just ordered the 568EX, should be here tomorrow... but it just occurred to me that the order page doesn't list the Canon 6D as a compatible body. Under your username in the forum, however, it says 6D, so should I assume that's what you're shooting with and you can confirm the 568EX works with it?

Thanks,
Jason

Upvote 0
Mar 23, 2012
not sure of 6D compatibiltiy -- check thephotogadget.com site.

btw just in case it isn't obvious.. the camera designation under your username has nothing to do with what one really shoots with. thats just a progressive scale that assigns a more expensive camera depending on the number of posts you make :D.

veterans have 1DX assigned. that doesn't mean they shoot with a 1DX it only means they are prolific posters :D

on edit: here's the compatibility list

Wireless TTL Slave mode: Canon 5DIII, 6D, 7D, 60D, 600D, 650D, Yongnuo ST-E2, Canon 580EX II, Nikon SB-900, SB-800, SB-700, Commander SU-800, Camera with CLS i-TTL system:D4, D3x, D3s, D3, D2x, D700, D300s, D300, D200, D7000, D90, D80
•Hot shoe TTL mode: Canon 1Dx, 1Ds series, 1D series, 5DIII, 5DII, 5D, 6D, 7D, 650D/T4i, 600D/T3i, 550D/T2i, 500D/T1i, 450D/Xsi, 400D/Xti, 1100D, 1000D, 60D, 50D, 40D
•Not compatible with 20D, 30D

Upvote 0

DFM

Adobe Community Professional
May 7, 2013
FYI, the 568EX-II (identical except for a master flash function) is now available for about $10 more - I got a couple last week and so far they're behaving fine, talking to Canon and YN slaves with ETTL ratios and FEC set through the menus on a 7D and 5DIII. It should also mean a drop in prices on the original 568EX, while stocks last.

Upvote 0
nice to see the master capabillity in the II; thats bound to be very attractive for many, i.e. to use it as a primary/only flash. my personal preference is to use a Canon speedlite for that, so I'm quite happy with my 3 slaves next to my 580 EX II :D.

I did an indoor shoot with two 568s in an umbrella and one as a hairlight. fired them all with the 580 EX II on-camera, and worked like a charm. Another configuration I haven't tried yet, but sounds interesting, is to use Syl Arena's OCF cord to place the 580 EX II inside a softbox or umbrella along with slaved 568s. Alas, the cordless freedom is so attractive I might have to invest in some 622s

anyway wahoo go team go; the 568 is a winner imho. keep em fed with eneloops lol

Upvote 0
I know this is an old thread, but I thought I would summarize my experiences to date. As mentioned previously, the optical slave mode works well. the Syl Arena OCF cord works good too -- when I use three 568s in an umbrella, I hook up my Canon 580 EX II to the OCF cord and use the other two as optical slaves. all happy.

Since that time I have grown very weary of the tethered approach, so I don't use the OCF cord anymore. And my Canon 580 EX II bit the dust as well -- so for $160 I invested in four 622C triggers/transceivers. One goes on the camera and the other three mount to the flashes on a three-way bracket. I'm very pleased to use the on-camera menu to control all three flashes, and with the demise of my 580 EX II my flash system is now 100% Yongnuo. the system transitioned from my 40D to the 5D3 just fine as well.

yes I realize Yongnuo has released their 600rt compatible system. cool. Fascinating to me is that Yongnuo is now offering USB firmware updates! Anyway, For now I'm content with the std 568/622 setup, and I can't complain about the price either. my flashes and triggers are still going

and, again, I purchased all of my Yongnuo stuff from http://thephotogadget.com/, which for me as been a top drawer retailer.

Upvote 0

surapon

80% BY HEART, 15% BY LENSES AND ONLY 5% BY CAMERA
Aug 2, 2013
APEX, NORTH CAROLINA, USA.
Thousand Thanks for this Great Testing and Review YN568 EX, Dear friend Mr. Dlleno.
I have 2 of Youngnuo YN565EXII which work perfected with my Canon 1DS, 20D, 5D MK II, 7D, 7D MK II and EOS-M, BUT These YN565 EX II do not work with my 3 years old Phottix Odin E-TTL.
Do New YN 568 EX work with Phottix Odin ?
Thanks.
Surapon

Upvote 0
Mar 23, 2012
You, Sir, are the most gracious member of this board! It is my pleasure to attempt answering your question, but I'm afraid I have just confirmed that the Phottix and Yongnuo are not compatible...

T approximately $40 each, the YN-622C trigger/transceiver is a most wonderful addition to the 568EX II. And now I see that the 568 EX II is down to approximately $120, making possible a complete radio triggered "580 EX" flash for $165, approximately. extraordinary.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.