Not open for further replies.

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<div name="googleone_share_1" style="position:relative;z-index:5;float: right; /*margin: 70px 0 0 0;*/ top:70px; right:120px; width:0;"><g:plusone size="tall" count="1" href=""></g:plusone></div><div class="tweetmeme_button" style="float: right; margin:0 0 70px 70px;"><a class="tm_button" rel="&style=normal&b=2" href=""></a></div>
<p><strong>What’s the world saying?

</strong>There is lots of opinion out there already about the new Canon EOS C100 entry level professional video camera. It looks like the camera will be in the $8000 range, though pricing hasn’t been officially announced yet.</p>
<p>The biggest difference I see on the surface, is the camera cannot take PL mount lenses. It looks like they’re only releasing an EF mount camera. Most initial opinions on the camera are quite positive, visit the sites below for some opinions. I’ll post more during the day as they start rolling in.</p>
<p><strong><a href="http://blog.planet5d.com/2012/08/canon-announces-new-canon-eos-c100-the-baby-brother-to-the-canon-eos-c300-and-the-canon-eos-c500/" target="_blank">Planet5D – C100 Impressions

</a></strong><em>“I think most of us will take that with a grain of salt. The “beginning filmmakers” part – many of us cannot afford an $8000 camera. Which is why the HDSLR line has made such an impact on filmmakers in the first place – it’s low-cost! While I agree this is the lowest price of the EOS line, many will quibble with the idea that this is priced for the beginning filmmaker.” <strong><a href="http://blog.vincentlaforet.com/2012/08/29/canon-c100-leads-to-murky-future-for-mid-to-upper-range-video-hdslrs/" target="_blank">Visit Planet5D</a></strong></em></p>
<p><strong><a href="http://www.eoshd.com/content/8856/canon-launch-cinema-eos-c100" target="_blank">EOSHD – C100 Impressions

</a></strong><em>“Canon today launched the much speculated Canon C100, the budget version of the C300. Initially set for a price under the Sony FS700 (around $8000), the camera is double the price of a used FS100 but features built-in ND filters and the same sensor as the C300. The design and handling looks fantastic, it is even smaller than the C300 (by some 15%) but the major compromise is the codec which is now AVCHD at 24Mbit 4-2-0.” <strong><a href="http://www.eoshd.com/content/8856/canon-launch-cinema-eos-c100" target="_blank">Visit EOSHD</a></strong></em></p>
<p><strong><a href="http://blog.vincentlaforet.com/2012/08/29/canon-c100-leads-to-murky-future-for-mid-to-upper-range-video-hdslrs/" target="_blank">Vincent Laforet – C100 Impressions</a></strong>

<em>“Many may be taken aback with the idea of spending $7,999 on this camera at first. But if you stop to think about what you won’t NEED to buy – it can actually start to look like the C100 might just be a wiser investment long term. This camera comes ready to shoot. The ergonomics are great so you don’t HAVE to have a cage. You don’t need to buy an external audio recorder and synching software – this has XLR inputs (and stereo headphone jack as well as levels) with the handle.”  <strong><a href="http://blog.vincentlaforet.com/2012/08/29/canon-c100-leads-to-murky-future-for-mid-to-upper-range-video-hdslrs/" target="_blank">Visit VincentLaforet</a></strong></em></p>
<p><a href="http://nofilmschool.com/2012/08/canon-shrinks-300-calls-it-c100-prices-it-at-8000/" target="_blank"><strong>No Film School – C100 Impressions</strong></a>

<em>“While it would have upset quite a few people, this camera should really have been the C300. Canon has a more costly camera at every price point than Sony, and for the same money you can get a camera that does 240fps at 1080 — instead of 60i at 1080. I think Canon is gambling on users buying or using this camera strictly for the white name etched into the front. There won’t be any PL mount lenses on this camera, as Canon is only introducing an EF mount version.” <strong><a href="http://nofilmschool.com/2012/08/canon-shrinks-300-calls-it-c100-prices-it-at-8000/" target="_blank">Visit NoFilmSchool</a></strong></em></p>
<p><em><strong><span style="color: #ff0000;">c</span>r</strong></em></p>

Bob Howland

CR Pro
Mar 25, 2012
"...the major compromise is the codec which is now AVCHD at 24Mbit 4-2-0."

And the codec that they didn't use, presumably because it was too expensive, is used in the Canon XF100, which costs $3000 but does 4-2-2.

The Canon marketing people are trying to be a little too clever for their own good. Basically, the C100, C300 and C500 are all about double the price they should be. Doesn't Canon realize that they have competition?

Upvote 0
The 422 codec is not any more expensive to implement: the encoder is the same "digic DV III" from the C300... and from the HF-R200 that sells for under $400 on amazon.

It'a a marketing decision to differenciate products.

And because of these decisions, this camera doesn't look good in its market. I'd rather get the FS700... and that's until the new breed of RAW cameras from small vendors hit the market, including S35 ones like the $8000 kineRAW, which should start shipping real soon

Upvote 0
May 12, 2011
They're taking preorders in Europe for 4999 Euro, which is a little over $6k US. But Vincent Laforet made some good points, you don't have to buy an external EVF ($950 for Zacuto), monitor ($300-$1500 depending on what you get, mine was $1200 with batteries), rods/mattebox ($600-$1200, plus at least a tripod plate to attach it to) for ND filters($150-$600 depending on which way you go), or an external audio recorder ($100-$300). Those accessories add up, once you factor that in it really isn't a bad deal. I've spent a fortune on accessories to make my 5DII/5DIII function like a video camera (way, way more than the cameras cost themselves).

And sure it may be 24mbps 4:2:0 to cards, but with a clean HDMI out you can record to an external recorder and who knows how good the footage will look using that method. And plus, 1.6x crop > 2.4 of the BMD cinema camera. I still think the BMD is a great deal for what it is, but I don't think it will hurt the sales of this much.

I'm afraid I'd still be torn between this and the FS700, the 240fps is a very appealing feature and so is being able to upgrade to 4k in the future, then again who knows how much the Sony external recorder will set you back.

Upvote 0
It's true this is an all-in-one, you just might want an external recorder for green screen work or anything where IQ is important because the internal codec is 4:2:0 and the HDMI out is 4:2:2. Given the external recorders are under $1000, and save you the hassle of a ProRes transcode, I see no reason to buy a C300 over this, unless you need the better timecode/SDI etc. I think most of the people running timecode are shooting on Alexa etc. not C300. The C500 will play to that crowd. But I think the C300 just reached EOL, unless they unlock the 4K inside it somehow.

The accessories you might have for 5d2/3 shooting are still going to be beneficial though. ND solids aren't the only useful filters, external audio recorders are better in numerous ways, etc. With an external video recorder you will want rigging to keep it at hand, with a Ninja 2 you can use it as a monitor for the focus puller or for scopes. That this offers hand-held run and gun so well is a major plus over the FS700, and it has much better rolling shutter performance than the BMC.

A lot of people would have preferred the EOS M mount so they could adapt anything but Canon is in business to make money and wants people to buy its lenses. You can still adapt manual Nikon lenses. There are 80M EF lenses in the world and Samyang has cheap cinema options now.

This is a nice camera and if it is $6,500 it's reasonable. $16,000 for a C300 is no longer reasonable at all, if it ever could be argued to be. That price was for rental houses I think. This is priced to own.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Sebastian at Cinema5D was unequivocal that the HDMI out was 4:2:2 uncompressed:

What's the difference to the C300?
The C100 records in AVCHD, a codec that will downcompress your footage to a 4:2:0 color space. Weird to see that limitation while many other specs are the same. There is no HD-SDI out, but the hdmi-out will deliver 4:2:2 for a better image recorded to a disk recorder.

http://www.cinema5d.com/news/?p=12761

He usually gets this sort of news first for some reason, so with his report and the Canon website I have to believe it's 4:2:2 vs. what one guy said he heard from Canon Support. The support people might not be briefed very well for a camera that's not shipping till the end of the year.

Upvote 0
Bob Howland said:
"...the major compromise is the codec which is now AVCHD at 24Mbit 4-2-0."

And the codec that they didn't use, presumably because it was too expensive, is used in the Canon XF100, which costs $3000 but does 4-2-2.

The Canon marketing people are trying to be a little too clever for their own good. Basically, the C100, C300 and C500 are all about double the price they should be. Doesn't Canon realize that they have competition?

They do realize they have competition. Sadly they think it all comes from various divisions within Canon only!
Look at how many little basics they crippled out of the 5D3. So instead of it continuing the revolution, getting mad praise, flying off the shelves like crazy to film people, and cementing themselves as the leaders in the market and making themselves hard to over thrown, they play stupid little games with internal market segmentation plus get greedy. What a waste.

Upvote 0
May 12, 2011
LetTheRightLensIn said:
They do realize they have competition. Sadly they think it all comes from various divisions within Canon only!
Look at how many little basics they crippled out of the 5D3. So instead of it continuing the revolution, getting mad praise, flying off the shelves like crazy to film people, and cementing themselves as the leaders in the market and making themselves hard to over thrown, they play stupid little games with internal market segmentation plus get greedy. What a waste.

The 5D3 upgrades on the stills side were huge. Canon didn't know the 5DII was going to be as successful in the film world as it was, and now it seems like they just trying to keep the two separate. Even though the 5DII shot great video (at the time) in a lot of ways it just wasn't ideal for video at all. So why add killer video features to the 5DIII, a camera that was intended for stills? There is a huge segment of users that don't use the video features at all, so why make them pay for it?

They realized how much demand there was for a large-sensor video camera and acted accordingly. It makes a lot more sense for them to make a camera that addresses the video users needs (C100) and another for still users (5D3) instead of making one half-assed, dual-purpose camera. They would have had to make a lot of compromises with the 5D3 to make both segments happy, so instead of making them share one camera they gave them each their own.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.