More Canon announcements coming in 2020

D

Deleted member 384473

Here's the problems, as I - and others - see it.
Yes, you can have a groundbreaking camera that is still reasonably criticized. Only, that's NOT the case here. It performs pretty much exactly as Canon tells us. So, I would consider that UNreasonable criticism. And unlike all the other brands, that also have the same overheating issues, Canon was up front and provided specific information regarding the overheating limits. Better to lie about it, deny it, or just ignore it as other brands do, apparently in the minds of many.

Is it complaining valid? Is it because Canon is in the infancy of mirrorless? No, of course not. It has to do with Physics. Full Frame cameras have had issues with overheating since video was introduced. Has nothing to do with mirrorless. Has to do with physics. And has a lot lot do with what the camera is designed for. As a series 5 camera, it is designed primarily for the stills shooter. No surprise there. It is designed to have weather sealing as a priority. No surprise there. It is designed to be within certain parameters of size, so no room for a cooling fan, such as Panasonic's huge FF camera. Also, want a faster card to be able to capture that ever increasing resolution video? Oh, didn't know that would also be hotter? Physics.

The reality is, video shooters thought they might be getting a camera with the specs of something that costs a lot more. They found out that there is no free lunch, so to speak. It all comes down to money, as it normally does. And it is easier to blame Canon than admit that they were hoping that they could get expensive video camera performance from a mainly stills/hybrid camera for a lot less money.

And let's not forget that a lot of the anti-Canon overheating hysteria is almost certainly fueled by the usually well organized Sony crowd. Almost every Canon release is met with a flurry of Anti-Canon "This camera Sucks" videos and posts on forums. They've latched onto the overheating issue since Canon now has IBIS that is better and DR that is equal to their beloved Sonys.

So, yes, many of us are annoyed. Sorry if that annoys you.
I think this was well put. Thanks for being decent. All criticism is valid but whether you agree with it or not is your choice and you may even think it's dumb criticism which is completely fair. When I mentioned Canon is in their mirror-less infancy, that was not a jab but more of a statement of hope that once they reach later generations, some issues will be ironed out and current offerings refined as one would expect. Perhaps new engineering or cooling solutions that alleviates some of the heat issues bound by physics. And it's the cool down period that is really the hurting point on the R5 to be specific... in my opinion. *Ducks immediately*

Now of course a lot comes down to money but I don't think that was the only factor contributing to the frustrations of video shooters, some of which were Canon only users willing to shed a pretty penny. I also don't appreciate the generalizations that if someone is criticizing Canon, they must be a devout Sony user nor do I appreciate generalizing all video shooters at all... To think every video shooter thinks the same... With that language you would think Video Shooters is one person.

I would agree there are people out there taking advantage of the click-bait issues and exploiting all new camera releases for the sake of clicks & views. Those videos make me nauseous. :sick:

I don't think the DR is quite there yet but it is definitely improved and can work in with a Canon Cinema grade DR quite nicely.

Anyways, I am excited for the R5 and these new releases, especially the DGO sensor on a RF mount cine, and feel really fortunate that I am in a position to get my hands on them.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2014
Here's the problems, as I - and others - see it.
Yes, you can have a groundbreaking camera that is still reasonably criticized. Only, that's NOT the case here. It performs pretty much exactly as Canon tells us. So, I would consider that UNreasonable criticism. And unlike all the other brands, that also have the same overheating issues, Canon was up front and provided specific information regarding the overheating limits. Better to lie about it, deny it, or just ignore it as other brands do, apparently in the minds of many.

Is it complaining valid? Is it because Canon is in the infancy of mirrorless? No, of course not. It has to do with Physics. Full Frame cameras have had issues with overheating since video was introduced. Has nothing to do with mirrorless. Has to do with physics. And has a lot lot do with what the camera is designed for. As a series 5 camera, it is designed primarily for the stills shooter. No surprise there. It is designed to have weather sealing as a priority. No surprise there. It is designed to be within certain parameters of size, so no room for a cooling fan, such as Panasonic's huge FF camera. Also, want a faster card to be able to capture that ever increasing resolution video? Oh, didn't know that would also be hotter? Physics.

The reality is, video shooters thought they might be getting a camera with the specs of something that costs a lot more. They found out that there is no free lunch, so to speak. It all comes down to money, as it normally does. And it is easier to blame Canon than admit that they were hoping that they could get expensive video camera performance from a mainly stills/hybrid camera for a lot less money.

And let's not forget that a lot of the anti-Canon overheating hysteria is almost certainly fueled by the usually well organized Sony crowd. Almost every Canon release is met with a flurry of Anti-Canon "This camera Sucks" videos and posts on forums. They've latched onto the overheating issue since Canon now has IBIS that is better and DR that is equal to their beloved Sonys.

So, yes, many of us are annoyed. Sorry if that annoys you.

I had the same opinion as you until i saw some other reviews. For example a bird photographer who tested the R5. The AF is indeed incredible and the quality of files is amazing / very low noise. But at some point he wanted to shoot some 4K30p HQ video and after having the camera on for some time but without shooting any video before, it only allowed around 3 minutes of video. Not even 8K or 4K60P. Other times 0 minutes.

How is it that you can shoot 30 minutes of 4K30p HQ from cold start but only allows you 3 minutes just by having the camera on and taking some occasional shots? I can't believe the camera overheats THAT much. Seems like an artificial firmware limitation or over protective software.

Even having the option to shoot 10 minutes reliably would be better than this. It's still great to have the option and the quality but i agree with many that those video modes are totally unreliable to professional use (at least when you are time limited and cannot wait 1 hour between clips).

On the other hand, the normal 4K30p (probably line skipped) was very close in quality and detail to the Sony A7S3, which is a good point. And the high quality 4K mode delivered much better video quality (except at very high ISO).

I just don't understand why we still have the 29:59 minute recording limit when almost every other manufacturer removed it.

Upvote 0
May 12, 2015
A series of lenses that would interest me would be of type RF ... L IS (half or full)Macro primes with max apertures between 65 and 75mm that are as compact & lightweight as possible, which could be:
* RF 100mm f1.4 L IS Macro* _____ Note: "*" means either half 1:2 or full 1:1 macro
* RF 135mm f2(or f1.8) L IS Macro*
* RF 200mm f2.8 L IS Macro*
* RF 300mm f4 L IS Macro*
* RF 400mm f5.6 IS Macro*
* RF 600mm f8 L IS Macro*
My hope is that Canon will do a lot more pushing the envelope lenses like the 28-70
F2 it’s nearly perfect lens and nothing else like it on the market. I’m hoping for more like these: Can you imagine a 100 1.4 macro? Or a or.a 135 1.4 IS? These would be market leading lenses that would drive the market.

Upvote 0
That is a tough sell if you own an r5 which has 8k features, but they can't be used because of overheating though. I am close to pulling the trigger on the r5, and using it for stills and using my 1dx3 as my video rig. I am nothing to base this on, but I suspect Canon will address the timing issues to get them to a reasonable level.

Great news! I can’t wait for RF Cinema Cameras as it might dampen the overheating issues in movie mode around the new R5 & R6 of which I’m sick of hearing

I buy a mirrorless DSLR for shooting quality stills and a few movie clips, 1080 normally, so for those who want to shoot mostly 8K or 4K buy a cime camera because that is what they do best.

Exciting times for Canon shooting both stills and movie creations, but buy the gear that is best suited to your needs and enjoy those abilities but also recognise some of the limitations. Rant over! lol

Upvote 0
RF pancake! wider than 35mm please!

If the EOS-M gets a stellar pancake, we should have one for the EOS-RF system.

The joy of being able to carry an R5 around everywhere in a briefcase or laptop bag with a nice super slim lens. Yum!

B&H Is out of stock of many RF lenses, what gives?
If you have a new R5, you are likely to buy a lens or two to go with it. I sure did.

Upvote 0

DBounce

Canon Eos R3
May 3, 2016
Battery powered space heaters?

The funny thing is Canon is lying about the overheating. The R5 can shoot 8K raw without issue. The overheating warning is driven purely by a timer. Actual temperature has nothing to do with it. Pull the internal coin cell battery and the timer is reset. Nothing to do with temperature at all. I’ve personally shot 8 hours straight with the R5 in 4K HQ and the body while warm was never uncomfortable to the touch. It’s all just deliberate firmware timer crippling to segment this amazing body from the Cinema line.
Here’s a link to where a user pulled the battery while constantly monitoring the cameras with a thermal imager.

Canon did it, they made a mirrorless that can shoot all day long in 8K raw... without overheating... and then they purposely crippled it.

• Wow
Upvote 0

brad-man

Semi-Reactive Member
Jun 6, 2012
S Florida
The funny thing is Canon is lying about the overheating. The R5 can shoot 8K raw without issue. The overheating warning is driven purely by a timer. Actual temperature has nothing to do with it. Pull the internal coin cell battery and the timer is reset. Nothing to do with temperature at all. I’ve personally shot 8 hours straight with the R5 in 4K HQ and the body while warm was never uncomfortable to the touch. It’s all just deliberate firmware timer crippling to segment this amazing body from the Cinema line.
Here’s a link to where a user pulled the battery while constantly monitoring the cameras with a thermal imager.

Canon did it, they made a mirrorless that can shoot all day long in 8K raw... without overheating... and then they purposely crippled it.
Since it has already been shown that there is no thermal conductor linking the sensor/processor/CFexpress card to the exoskeleton, any external thermal imaging is pointless and will yield no useful information. If the camera(s) have been programmed to be overly cautious concerning heat build up, I would guess that it will be corrected by Canon. If not, then the life of the electronics in cameras run continuously will be greatly reduced. Just sayin'...

Upvote 0

CvH

CR Pro
Nov 19, 2014
Maybe they should just concentrate on actually delivering the products they have already "announced". I hope the R5 doesn't become like the D850 a couple years ago, ie one of the best cameras you can never actually find.

Just my frustration showing through ….I have the RF 15-35, 24-70 and 70-200.....these lenses are all crazy sharp on the R, and I just want to see what they can do on an R5. If anybody is sitting on the fence about switching to RF glass, don't think twice. Just do it.

I have the EF16-35, 24-70, 70-200 and 100-400. It will be too costly to migrate to the RF version.

Upvote 0

DBounce

Canon Eos R3
May 3, 2016
Since it has already been shown that there is no thermal conductor linking the sensor/processor/CFexpress card to the exoskeleton, any external thermal imaging is pointless and will yield no useful information. If the camera(s) have been programmed to be overly cautious concerning heat build up, I would guess that it will be corrected by Canon. If not, then the life of the electronics in cameras run continuously will be greatly reduced. Just sayin'...
Just saying Canon states unlimited recording with external recorder, per the ProATV Canon interview. The thermal readings are the same as the EXIF data captured in the JPEG stills and lastly, someone actually witnessed the overheat warning trigger in 4C in a refrigerator, with a reading of 30C internal. The temperature has nothing to do with the so called “overheat warning”... it’s actually just a cripple warning. Nothing more.

Upvote 0
Waiting impatiently for some real RF superteles, not slow rubbish. Where's the 500 f/4 and 300 f/2.8 as well as a 200-600 f/4.5-6.3
So you want all of these along with the excellent bodies in just 2 years? Are you even serious? Who else have done all these things from ground up in under 2 years?

I mean, let's cultivate patience.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017

++++ I’ve personally shot 8 hours straight with the R5 in 4K HQ and the body while warm was never uncomfortable to the touch.
A.M.: 8 hours straight in 4kHQ... are you sure? :)

Upvote 0