More features and specifications for the Canon EOS R3 have emerged

Mikehit

EOS R6
Jul 28, 2015
If the sony A1 costs $6500 and does 30fps and 50mp, it would be crazy to buy the R3 at $6000 if it has less than 36mp. If canon is going to charge almost as much as the A1 it needs to directly compete with it. Anything less is subpar. The LCD screen difference is an insignificant difference, the IBIS in the R5 is plenty.

Again, you are assuming that MP is the only thing that matters. People have been talking for nigh on 10 years that how Sony has the technological advantage on Canon with MP and dynamic range and still Sony has barely more market share than when they ditched DSLR and went to mirrorless.
People still talk as though Cano's aim is to steal customers from Sony - it isn't. It is to maintain their position as global leader in camera sales: whether it is DSLR, MILCs or compacts. All they need to do is stay within touching distance in the technology stakes to maintain that position: yes, they took their time to enter the FF MILC market but (unlike Sony) they had to be sure they did it right first time. Since then the pace of Canon development has been highly impressive as witnessed by bring the first 8K video and the first FF bird-eye AF. Sony has historically advanced by throwing new technology with less efficient ergonomics - Canon know how highly professionals value ergonomics so technology could almost take a back seat. Sony is improving its ergonomics (and after sales care), Canon is improving its technology. The two companies are moving ever closer but that does not mean Canon need to match everything Sony does.

Toglife_Anthony

Hit the G.A.S. & pump the brakes at the same time!
Apr 2, 2020
Again, you are assuming that MP is the only thing that matters. People have been talking for nigh on 10 years that how Sony has the technological advantage on Canon with MP and dynamic range and still Sony has barely more market share than when they ditched DSLR and went to mirrorless.
People still talk as though Cano's aim is to steal customers from Sony - it isn't. It is to maintain their position as global leader in camera sales: whether it is DSLR, MILCs or compacts. All they need to do is stay within touching distance in the technology stakes to maintain that position: yes, they took their time to enter the FF MILC market but (unlike Sony) they had to be sure they did it right first time. Since then the pace of Canon development has been highly impressive as witnessed by bring the first 8K video and the first FF bird-eye AF. Sony has historically advanced by throwing new technology with less efficient ergonomics - Canon know how highly professionals value ergonomics so technology could almost take a back seat. Sony is improving its ergonomics (and after sales care), Canon is improving its technology. The two companies are moving ever closer but that does not mean Canon need to match everything Sony does.

But a majority of Canon's market dominance is in the entry level and APS-C sectors. In some markets Canon trails behind Sony in FF sales and in other markets they hold just a slight lead. With the advancement of cell phone cameras and the market shift in consumers not seeing a need or benefit in entry level cameras, Canon's overall market lead will continue to decline if they focus less on FF (especially mirrorless) and more on entry level to "maintain their position." Much of Canon's market dominance has come from brand loyalty and notoriety; both of those will continue to dwindle if the competition continues to put out products that are PERCEIVED to be better and at a lower price point. There will always be a portion of the market that will buy the 1DX's and R1's of the world no matter the specs or features, but that portion won't help Canon maintain their position. Prior to Sony and other brands putting pressure on Canon, they would have released the R6 with a single card slot and less features, because that's historically the type of moves they would make. We saw with the R5 and R6 that Canon is realizing they can't just give the market what they deem is enough and expect to maintain their market share. Megapixels aren't everything but there's enough serious competition now that Canon has to think a bit differently than they have in years past, and I personally think they're already doing so.

privatebydesign

I post too Much on Here!!
CR Pro
Jan 29, 2011
But a majority of Canon's market dominance is in the entry level and APS-C sectors. In some markets Canon trails behind Sony in FF sales and in other markets they hold just a slight lead. With the advancement of cell phone cameras and the market shift in consumers not seeing a need or benefit in entry level cameras, Canon's overall market lead will continue to decline if they focus less on FF (especially mirrorless) and more on entry level to "maintain their position." Much of Canon's market dominance has come from brand loyalty and notoriety; both of those will continue to dwindle if the competition continues to put out products that are PERCEIVED to be better and at a lower price point. There will always be a portion of the market that will buy the 1DX's and R1's of the world no matter the specs or features, but that portion won't help Canon maintain their position. Prior to Sony and other brands putting pressure on Canon, they would have released the R6 with a single card slot and less features, because that's historically the type of moves they would make. We saw with the R5 and R6 that Canon is realizing they can't just give the market what they deem is enough and expect to maintain their market share. Megapixels aren't everything but there's enough serious competition now that Canon has to think a bit differently than they have in years past, and I personally think they're already doing so.
Entry level and brand loyalty are mutually exclusive yet you say Canon only maintains its position because of both of them!

Toglife_Anthony

Hit the G.A.S. & pump the brakes at the same time!
Apr 2, 2020
Entry level and brand loyalty are mutually exclusive yet you say Canon only maintains its position because of both of them!
First off, where in my post did I use the word "only"?! Second off, the two are not mutually exclusive. Canon can sell a billion entry-level cameras that help them lead in market share and none of those folks could buy another Canon camera (which would be brand loyalty). A combination of people choosing Canon for their first camera and continuing to choose Canon cameras for their subsequent purchases has helped Canon maintain their position. Not sure where your disconnect is. Lastly, my post was my opinion, couldn't care less if you disagree. ;-)

SwissFrank

from EOS 1N to R
Dec 9, 2018
Anyone who has to recover 8 stops over-exposed images has a much deeper problem with photography I guess :devilish:
I get the joke, but actually Canon has a patent for a new kind of sensor I'm half-expecting to show up on one of the bodies above the R5, that in effect can give you one-shot HDR. It can basically take two exposures, and switch between them at microsecond speeds, so it can give one exposure 1/1000 the light of the other, and have relatively smooth motion blur and so on while also having a super-under-exposed version of the same scene also with smooth motion blur to recover highlights from.

Basically, any architecture/real estate photographer needs this feature to expose a room and also capture the view out the window, so it's not actually that esoteric.

Reactions: justaCanonuser

SwissFrank

from EOS 1N to R
Dec 9, 2018
I agree and to me, it doesn't make any sense for the R3 to be lower resolution than the R5 especially if it comes in at $6K. What are we getting for $2K besides a grip and eye focus?
??? Read the release: weather-proofing, lots of AI, etc. etc. etc. And if the eye focus works well enough it alone may already be worth the $2k. The "centerfocus, then recompose" method only works well if the lens is stopped down enough that the focus "plane" is a sphere. Eye focus should let you nail a 3mm thick shell of focus from a 85/1.2 on a subject say 14% of the way left to right in the frame, THIS INSTANT, which is 1) impossible on any other camera I know (though I did similiarish on my EOS-3 in the 90s) and 2) actually an EXTREMELY common type of shooting scenario, hardly esoteric. We just don't talk about it much because it's impossible on every camera on the market. This alone could be HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE.

SwissFrank

from EOS 1N to R
Dec 9, 2018
Frankly, I am still on the fence to purchase or not.
???

How could ANYONE, NOT be on the fence? We don't know price, MP, or how well the eye track performs. I don't think anyone on the planet, short of someone with funds to simply buy every nice Canon camera whatever its price and features, is not still on the fence, yet you make it sound like some deep admission :-D

SwissFrank

from EOS 1N to R
Dec 9, 2018
I just cannot see how this could possibly be a 20MP sensor. Does anyone have any actual reason why it wouldn't simply use the R5 sensor? What could another sensor do better than the R5 by being lower MP? Honest question, not rhetorical or loaded.

Reactions: Atlasman

privatebydesign

I post too Much on Here!!
CR Pro
Jan 29, 2011
I just cannot see how this could possibly be a 20MP sensor. Does anyone have any actual reason why it wouldn't simply use the R5 sensor? What could another sensor do better than the R5 by being lower MP? Honest question, not rhetorical or loaded.
Er, it's Canon's first FF stacked back illuminated sensor....

Very different technology from the R5.

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
Er, it's Canon's first FF stacked back illuminated sensor....

Very different technology from the R5.
And for mere (non-pro) mortals, this new technology is the real interest, because it will quickly find its way into the lower priced / enthusiast range of FF mirrorless bodies.

SwissFrank

from EOS 1N to R
Dec 9, 2018
Faster read-out speed. Probably better low-light performance and dynamic range.
OK, but do you need faster readout than the R5? What far?

And my understanding is that the R5 is already in the top 8 or so sensors for DR (and most of the sensors beating it are quite exotic). Granted more DR is always good but doesn't cutting pixel count by half only give you one more stop of DR? How does it really differ to do that with fewer/bigger pixels compared to downsampling a higher pixel-count, which I think in theory could also give you that one more stop of DR?

Low-light, same questions: given high-ISO performance and IS, we can already hand-hold zooms in candlelight. Is another stop of low-light performance going to win more sales than a low MP drives away?

WOODS

I'm New Here
Jul 19, 2016
Any ideas as to the 4 holes on the vertical grip?

D6D60058-0924-4EFA-BDEF-AE555FB9EB67.jpeg

Aug 7, 2018
I wonder why Canon can't just give us two or three sensor options? Maybe 20, 30 and 60 megapixels. Then everybody would be pleased. Would threy really have to change a lot of the internals ofd a camera, if the megapixel count changes? If the camera can process 60 megapixel images, it should also be able to handle 20 megapixel images. At the moment I am working on hundredsof old photos I took with an 8.2 megapixel APS-H camera and I love how crisp they look on a pixel level. With a high megapixel count diffraction sets in much sooner. Of course you can always downsample those photos, but then you would still have to handle those large RAW files.

Reactions: SwissFrank

sanj

EOS R5
Jan 22, 2012
OK, but do you need faster readout than the R5? What far?

And my understanding is that the R5 is already in the top 8 or so sensors for DR (and most of the sensors beating it are quite exotic). Granted more DR is always good but doesn't cutting pixel count by half only give you one more stop of DR? How does it really differ to do that with fewer/bigger pixels compared to downsampling a higher pixel-count, which I think in theory could also give you that one more stop of DR?

Low-light, same questions: given high-ISO performance and IS, we can already hand-hold zooms in candlelight. Is another stop of low-light performance going to win more sales than a low MP drives away?
Things must improve every new camera even if slight. Each step forward!

Reactions: SwissFrank