More features and specifications for the Canon EOS R3 have emerged

Jan 22, 2012
I have no idea why Canon keeps crippling their high end cameras with a dedicated SD card slot. CFExpress are cheap enough now that the cost justification doesn't hold up for the price of the body. Hopefully the R3 is dual-purpose slots, but knowing Canon they'll hold that for the R1
R1 will probably not have SD.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

canonmike

EOS R6
CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
I'd wager 20MP. The fact that they're not trumpeting the resolution is pretty suggestive that it's not an exciting spec, so staying the same as the R6/1DXiii wouldn't surprise me in the least.
I'd say your 2nd statement is a pretty logical one, since they haven't trumpeted the MP to the mountaintops, as you stated. I'm afraid the bird and nature photographers might be a little disappointed with such a low MP count, if that is indeed the case.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Canon today announced new features and specifications for the Canon EOS R3. Before we get too excited, Gordon was now able to turn the camera on and test any of the features.
The above video will give you a great look at the ergonomics of the Canon EOS R3.
Canon EOS R3 Specifications:

Full-Frame Stacked BSI CMOS Sensor
Multi-Controller & Smart Controller
Vari-Angle Touch Screen
NEW accessory shoe
Wifi 5GHz
High speed 30fps electronic shutter with AF/AE tracking + RAW shooting at this speed
AF down to -7.0 EV
8 Stops Coordinated Control IS with Optical IS and In-Body IS
4K Canon Log3​
Oversampling 4K
Internal RAW video
Inclusion of cars and motorbikes in AF tracking technology
RAW internal movie recording
Speedlite shooting with electronic shutter
The same weather sealing as the EOS-1D series...

Continue reading...

Upvote 0
Jun 27, 2013
Pune
I think it is becoming pretty clear that the R3 is to the R1 what the R6 is to the R5. Most of the people in this thread have been hoping the R3 is what the R1 will actually be, yet the R5 basically already does for them.
More in the line of what A9 is to A1 in Sony lineup. Not a bad idea to test waters and new tech before coming out with flagship 1 series camera.

Upvote 0

Atlasman

EOS R6 MKII
CR Pro
May 14, 2020
I'd wager 20MP. The fact that they're not trumpeting the resolution is pretty suggestive that it's not an exciting spec, so staying the same as the R6/1DXiii wouldn't surprise me in the least.
The name of the game is to tease—they want us to keep on guessing a critical feature of the camera.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

sdz

CR Pro
Sep 13, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Canon may hide the resolution because it wants to hype the camera. Everyone will want to speculate about that and their doing so keeps the camera newsworthy and current. That said, the R1 will need to best the R3 and a higher megapixel count is one way to do that. Another way would be to have multiple processors to handle the demands made on the camera by high megapixel, high framerate camera. A third way would include a new quad pixel AF system. Of course, the R3 might introduce the QPAF at a low resolution while the R1 will provide that capability at a higher resolution.

The waiting is the hardest part.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
After seeing these specifications along with SD and CFExpress cards I am on the fence if I should buy R3 or not. I am still waiting for the official announcements to learn more, but at this stage I would like some insights into the following:

1) What exactly does Canon mean that the DPAF has enhance tracking for people and animals? Is the tracking significantly better than the R5. Is the enhancement quad-pixel AF?

2) Can the electronic shutter be used at speeds other than 30 fps like 10 fps or 20 fps? Many times I have a need for 10 fps and silent shutter and just do not need 30 fps.

3) Lastly, what is the resolution of the sensor? I a still hoping for 30 MP, but my gut is saying it may not be more than 24 MP.
If they force you to use 30fps only with electronic shutter (as the R5 forces you to use their 20fps only with it) then I will be beyond disappointed with that particular feature. I am hoping that they will offer various fps settings for all shutter modes, including fully electronic. Then, in the near future, I hope that they give R5 users a firmware update to allow various fps settings for electronic shutter as well. This is a very sorely-needed (and easy) fix for the R5 that Canon really needs to make as soon as possible.

Upvote 0

Atlasman

EOS R6 MKII
CR Pro
May 14, 2020
Canon may hide the resolution because it wants to hype the camera. Everyone will want to speculate about that and their doing so keeps the camera newsworthy and current. That said, the R1 will need to best the R3 and a higher megapixel count is one way to do that. Another way would be to have multiple processors to handle the demands made on the camera by high megapixel, high framerate camera. A third way would include a new quad pixel AF system. Of course, the R3 might introduce the QPAF at a low resolution while the R1 will provide that capability at a higher resolution.

The waiting is the hardest part.
The R1 should be the ultimate in resolution!

Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
DAMN 20MP IN 2021 on a $4000+ camera is a bit lack luster. this really would just be for sports or shooting styles that demand fast fps.

Upvote 0
I went back to the interview w/ the Russian rep/head that was posted here on 4/30

What cameras will the Canon EOS R3 compete with on the market?

Of course, the closest competing model will be the Nikon Z9 , which we do not know much about yet, as the camera has just been announced and has not yet been officially unveiled
... And of course, Sony a1because there are cool technologies there
... In other words, our camera will be in the segment of those cameras that are currently announced by competitors as top-end.

"closest competing model" is a subjective opinion. The R3 does compete with the Z9 in terms of it's body class (pro body layout, battery grip) and does compete with the A1 (30 fps electronic shutter)

I think it will come down to the new eye tracking focus and the ability to get the shot no matter the amount of craziness that is going on in the scene. The R5 brain is good, but it still loses it's head against busy backgrounds, sudden movements and changes in the scene.
Maybe then Canon will drop their case (1, 2, 3, 4) AF options - something I have never really learned to use reliably - and just have subject specific AF and generic AF, all supported by eye tracking

Heck .. if I can nail the shot 90% of the time in difficult AF situations -- just imagine that, even I - a pixel peeping bird photographer - would be willing to consider a lower sensor MP

Upvote 0

sdz

CR Pro
Sep 13, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
The R1 should be the ultimate in resolution!
Typically, the 1 series cameras have not been the highest MP Canon camera even if they have been the most capable Canon cameras. Canon eventually will bring to market the long-promised high MP camera. This will be a niche camera and will best in resolution everyother Canon camera. But it may and likely will not be Canon's best camera even if it is the best Canon camera for the niche it serves.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0