More features and specifications for the Canon EOS R3 have emerged

john1970

EOS R3
CR Pro
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US
How do you know it is 1x SD and 1x CF card and not either 2x SD or 2x CF cards like you prefer?!
Translate in Google Chrome: https://www.canon.se/cameras/eos-r3/

Built for professionals.​

EOS R3 is built to withstand the stresses of professional daily use. The durable magnesium alloy camera body is sealed to the same degree as our legendary EOS-1D Series cameras, so it can withstand dust and water in harsh conditions. With dual card slots, image files can be written to SD or CFexpress media.

The camera is powered by a high-capacity LP-E19 battery - the same as in our EOS-1DX III camera. This means that the EOS R3 fits perfectly into your existing equipment and can be used with the extra batteries you already own.

In fact, if you've ever used an EOS-1 Series camera, many of the controls on the EOS R3 will feel familiar. If you do not have it, we know you will love the instinctive placement of the controls and the ergonomic grip.

The camera has several different controls, where both the arrow buttons and the smart controls feel instinctively placed within reach of the thumb for intuitive use. Three adjustable knobs on the camera and a lens control ring on each lens with RF mount allow you to easily adjust the shutter speed, aperture, ISO and exposure compensation with the camera facing the eye. EOS R3 also has an angled screen that allows you to easily compose creative perspectives.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Since Canon hasn't dangled any R3 MP carrots, my guess is much lower MP's than what most people had anticipated for this camera. Looks like the envisioned higher MP body is a ways off, yet. This may very well validate some of the opinions out there that the R3 was actually intended to be the R1 but after Sony's A1 release, Canon decided to rethink its high end offerings and release dates. Still, the R3 looks to be a body that will be well received by sports and action photographers. Bird photographers may just have to wait awhile longer for some other Canon surprise high MP or APSC offering. Is there a soon to be R7 just around the corner?? After all, no one expected this R3 body when Canon made the sudden and surprising announcement. Maybe Private by Design is right and we shouldn't get so hung up on MP. However, since the pixel peepers may now be let down a bit, it may behoove Canon to put it all out there, play their cards and show us their R3 hand. No bluff, no tease, just show us what you've got. Lay their cards on the table for everyone to see. Then, being able to make an informed decision, we'll either buy it or not.
Nobody has anticipated MP count for this camera, since nobody was expecting it at all...;)

Upvote 0
it's not a higher voltage battery. it is 3 batteries in parallel (LP-E6* batteries are 2 in parallel). Batteries are spec'd at their typical voltage which is 3.6V - 3.8V. The LP-E19 is 3.6V*3 = 10.8V. The higher mAh rating reflects the 3p config as well. Battery impedance increases as batteries discharge, age or when it's cold .. so yes, apples to apples, a 3p battery will perform better under all circumstances than a 2p (assuming Canon uses the same battery cell tech for bocomple

it's not a higher voltage battery. it is 3 batteries in parallel (LP-E6* batteries are 2 in parallel). Batteries are spec'd at their typical voltage which is 3.6V - 3.8V. The LP-E19 is 3.6V*3 = 10.8V. The higher mAh rating reflects the 3p config as well. Battery impedance increases as batteries discharge, age or when it's cold .. so yes, apples to apples, a 3p battery will perform better under all circumstances than a 2p (assuming Canon uses the same battery cell tech for both)
Complete BS!!!
A 3s LiPo (3p means 3 cells in parallel for LiPo which is not the case here...) "Performes" (if you want to call it that way) EXACTLY the same as a 2S or 6S LiPo if the chemistry is the same. The output voltage may be different put the performance is always the same.

Upvote 0

Atlasman

EOS R6 MKII
CR Pro
May 14, 2020
You are getting a stacked sensor. If you've ever shot an A9/A1 back to back with an R6/R5 you will know why that matters...a lot for fast action photography. And now confirmation that flash can be used with ES sort of guarantees not only a good read speed like the A9 but a top end read speed like the A1. Unless the flash sync is limited to 1/160 or something then it would be A9 level (even though A9 didn't allow flash with ES).

I also don't understand why people are surprised this may be a 20 odd MP camera even with the highest price in the R lineup? The 1DX series has always been way lower MPs than the 5 series and has always sold for way more than those cameras. Nothing to be surprised about there. I predicted 20 odd MP sensor from the very start and I'm sticking with my prediction.
The 1DX concept was from another era—I don’t believe we should be looking at what came before: we should look at current market conditions—top flagships from Nikon and Sony will and have high megapixel imagers. A 20mp—or even 30mp will not fly in the face of the competition. The optics for Canon would not be in their favour. I’ve said it before: it has to beat the R5.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
The 1DX concept was from another era—I don’t believe we should be looking at what came before: we should look at current market conditions—top flagships from Nikon and Sony will and have high megapixel imagers. A 20mp—or even 30mp will not fly in the face of the competition. The optics for Canon would not be in their favour. I’ve said it before: it has to beat the R5.
But it might fly in the face of users. I have no particular need or desire for high MP in an R3, if I am at an event and shoot 3,500 images per day per body and the output is very rarely big prints, I simply don't need 30 or 40 or more MP.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
it's not a higher voltage battery. it is 3 batteries in parallel (LP-E6* batteries are 2 in parallel). Batteries are spec'd at their typical voltage which is 3.6V - 3.8V. The LP-E19 is 3.6V*3 = 10.8V. The higher mAh rating reflects the 3p config as well. Battery impedance increases as batteries discharge, age or when it's cold .. so yes, apples to apples, a 3p battery will perform better under all circumstances than a 2p (assuming Canon uses the same battery cell tech for both)
Did you mean "in series"? If you get 10.8V from three 3.6V batteries then they have to be "in series" to do that. Then you get the same mah rating as each individual battery, but 3x higher voltage. If you consider the entire package as a "battery" (as one should since it can't be disassembled) then it is indeed a higher voltage "battery". Now if they put the batteries "in parallel" then the final "battery" will still only be 3.6V, but with a 3x higher mah rating. Either way you get the same 3x higher mwh rating.

Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
Unfortunately, the 30 minute cap on video is not a technical limit but a taxation one.

"Ever wonder why digital cameras have a 30 minute recording limit no matter how large of a memory card you have? Many claim it has to do with the 4GB file size limitations of the FAT32 file system used on most memory cards, overheating from recording for so long, etc. As it turns out, this has to do with the World Trade Organization and, as many things do, taxes.

The problem is that any camera that can record for longer than 29 minutes and 59 seconds is officially classified as a video camera by the WTO. This classification means that the cameras would be subject to a 5% duty fee, which would in turn raise prices
."
I thought the 30min taxation issue was removed a good while ago (so many have said that already). Are you saying that this isn't true? If so, then it would explain why it hasn't been changed.

Upvote 0
Nov 13, 2015
Just a couple minor questions/speculations:
1) Will ECF play with the modes? -- for example ECF in the bird setting would find the bird closest to where your eye is looking, and continue to track it if set to do so? Similarly, ECF for portraits finding the eye closest to where you're looking. Etc. IOW , being smart about what ECF might be looking for, and being settable for that target.
2) Canon continue to feature prominently overall IS performance with lens IS + IBIS in their R3 promotional material, so that leads me to believe, or at least hope, that they will continue with IS in many / most lenses. I'm looking at you, RF 85 1.4 L.

Upvote 0

canonmike

EOS R6
CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
By the rime you can put in a preorder we will know all the specs. We don’t know what the Rez is yet, which is why people are guessing from low to high. It’s possible that this tease will give us a big surprise when they finally tell us everything before the release announcement.

they could be holding the best for last.
I hope to be blown away by a REZ surprise, rather than let down by the lack thereof......

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Then it just isn’t the model for you. Every camera is not designed for every user. Personally I am seriously interested in the R3 and the MP count is close to irrelevant for me.

As for waiting for firmware updates, why? Buy a camera for what it does out of the box, nothing else is implied or guaranteed.
Easy words...
When Canon says that R3 is between R5 and 1Dx Mark III then the expectations of the specs should be from both worlds and especially in this price range! As for the fimrware updates most of us use our logical and expect for a few things Canon to address but that's not the case always! Canon despite we love this brand and we choose it most of us for many years, is using a marketing strategy to make our life hard with their cameras (see how the implementation of cooling in R5). So in the end you get a tool that has a lot of potential with 1-2 fw updates but you stick with your d*ck in your hand in the end.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Easy words...
When Canon says that R3 is between R5 and 1Dx Mark III then the expectations of the specs should be from both worlds and especially in this price range! As for the fimrware updates most of us use our logical and expect for a few things Canon to address but that's not the case always! Canon despite we love this brand and we choose it most of us for many years, is using a marketing strategy to make our life hard with their cameras (see how the implementation of cooling in R5). So in the end you get a tool that has a lot of potential with 1-2 fw updates but you stick with your d*ck in your hand in the end.
It does, it just doesn’t take the bits from the R5 you wanted it to! The price? It doesn’t phase me as I am a regular 1 series buyer, to my mind it is a big step up from my 1DX II for less money.

You’re only stuck with your d!ck in your hand if you are a wanker. If you don’t like what the camera can do don’t be an early adopter and/or don’t buy it at all.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I thought the 30min taxation issue was removed a good while ago (so many have said that already). Are you saying that this isn't true? If so, then it would explain why it hasn't been changed. As said, Sony doesn’t have the 30 min limit.
It should have changed in 2018.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Quirkz

CR Pro
Oct 30, 2014
I'd say your 2nd statement is a pretty logical one, since they haven't trumpeted the MP to the mountaintops, as you stated. I'm afraid the bird and nature photographers might be a little disappointed with such a low MP count, if that is indeed the case.
On the other hand, why do a BSI sensor for only 20MP full frame sensor?

Isn't BSI more valuable when the individual pixels get really small, so the gaps between them take up more of the surface area?

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

sandhar

Birds, Places, Humans, Landscapes
Jun 2, 2021
sandharphotography.com
can't wait to get hands on a R3 and try it out

any motorsports photog experts in this forum ? the R3 will bring cars and bikes as a new subject and I think it means the ability to maintain AF at high fps when cars are moving towards you or away from you (subject size is getting bigger or smaller). I've had mixed success on the R5 with these subjects (no priority on detection) - was trying to see if I could get a lock on cars and do a panning motion to blur the background. curious to hear about the challenges in this field of photography.

Upvote 0