More features and specifications for the Canon EOS R3 have emerged

Sep 20, 2020
You don’t have to be a fool to neccesarly want to recover 8 stops of light. Cameras still today don’t have the same dynamic scene/range of what your eye sees when you are viewing something beautiful with a high dynamic range but wish to capture it as close as possible to the experience.
Latitude is different than dynamic range.
Dynamic range in the range of light an image can capture while latitude is the amount an exposure can be corrected.
There is some intersect but they are not the same.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
I think the R5 8k experience is precisely why the R3 won’t come close to it.

The R5 and 1DX III share a processor, the 1 series can do what it does all day long every day for years, the R5 can overheat in under 30 minutes. I think the R3 is positioned closer to the 1 series in concept and there is no way Canon want to relive the storm in a teacup the ‘overheating’ drama caused and totally overwhelmed the release and stated performance envelope of the camera.
The R6 overheats at the same exact resolution that never overheats on the 1DX Mark III so I do not think that tells us very much.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
Yes and no.... Sony's choice of CFe type A cards means that they are
- very expensive (only 2 cameras use them and only Sony makes them at the moment)
- slower than type B (1 pcie lane vs multiple)
but
- efficient dual slot with USH-II SD cards which is very nice and looks to be less of a heat generator
- backward compatible

Sony's choice means that they can't record raw video and use compressed raw stills. Sony have been happy to choose unusual recording media in the past for some reason... sony memory stick anyone?
I still think two SD Express slots would have been better but Sony likes to do their own thing.

Upvote 0
Jan 21, 2015
The gap between CF Express and SD Express is not that huge either but Canon went with UHS-II.
Even UHS-III would have made more sense.
Uh, no. There are exactly 0 UHS-III cards available, and the same stands for SD Express.

And by the way, SD Express requires new cards too, unless you're fine with all your existing cards running at UHS-I speeds at maximum. So when CF Express is arguably better, why not go straight for that.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
I think 20 MP is off the table. 30 seems the most realistic just based off the 30 FPS (as was pointed out numerous times, 30 MP 30 FPS is the same throughput as 45 MP 20 FPS already found in the R5 - slightly more if the R3 manages it at 14 bit).

Bit didn't CR guy hint at higher resolution just recently:

"Beyond what Canon has told us, I have been told that this camera will have a “resolution trick”. Does that mean it will have pixel-shift or something else? This will not be a 20mp camera like the EOS-1D X Mark III, so expect a very high-resolution image sensor."

From: https://www.canonrumors.com/lets-talk-about-the-canon-eos-r3-cr2/

I'm really curious about this trick. Pixel shift would not be useful for sports applications, right? Introducing it in a 1-series type body seems odd.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
I'm really curious about this trick. Pixel shift would not be useful for sports applications, right? Introducing it in a 1-series type body seems odd.
Two things:
1) Why not introduce pixel shift?
Just because R3 is a sports and wildlife camera does not mean it can only be used that way.
2) Maybe the resolution trick is why Canon will not release the resolution.
There will be all kinds of outrage as to how Canon tricked us with the resolution even though they were upfront about it.

Upvote 0

Atlasman

EOS R6 MKII
CR Pro
May 14, 2020
Latitude is different than dynamic range.
Dynamic range in the range of light an image can capture while latitude is the amount an exposure can be corrected.
There is some intersect but they are not the same.
Latitude: I haven’t encountered this word since my film days.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Atlasman

EOS R6 MKII
CR Pro
May 14, 2020
Two things:
1) Why not introduce pixel shift?
Just because R3 is a sports and wildlife camera does not mean it can only be used that way.
2) Maybe the resolution trick is why Canon will not release the resolution.
There will be all kinds of outrage as to how Canon tricked us with the resolution even though they were upfront about it.
If I were Canon:

The industry has lost a significant chunk of revenue from their point-and-shoot cameras. Optimization should be tearing through the hallways of every camera maker. Specialization might be a good strategy in the long run, but at the moment, Canon needs to respond to the A1 and the Z9.

The R5 is nearly there—why not take the R5 put it on "steroids?"

Why invest in a low-resolution system when it can be achieved by a hi-resolution camera?

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
If I were Canon:

The industry has lost a significant chunk of revenue from their point-and-shoot cameras. Optimization should be tearing through the hallways of every camera maker. Specialization might be a good strategy in the long run, but at the moment, Canon needs to respond to the A1 and the Z9.

Why invest in a low-resolution system when it can be achieved by a hi-resolution camera?
Does it? What are the actual sales numbers of the A1 and Z9 and what is the profit margin of that body type? What is the profit margin on RF lenses?

It is very easy to armchair quarterback everybody else but Canon have led the pack for a long time and I don’t see any investor dissatisfaction, and that is the measure for how the company is being run.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Atlasman

EOS R6 MKII
CR Pro
May 14, 2020
Does it? What are the actual sales numbers of the A1 and Z9 and what is the profit margin of that body type? What is the profit margin on RF lenses?

It is very easy to armchair quarterback everybody else but Canon have led the pack for a long time and I don’t see any investor dissatisfaction, and that is the measure for how the company is being run.
"Armchair?"

I thought this was a forum for friendly discussions and to share our views?

Where have I mentioned about investor dissatisfaction?

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
"Armchair?"

I thought this was a forum for friendly discussions and to share our views?

Where have I mentioned about investor dissatisfaction?
It is a friendly discussion, how much friendlier can it be than doing it from our armchairs? Surely it is my place to offer a counterpoint?

Anyway, my point was this, you said “Canon must” to which I said none of us really know the actual economies of the market, in sales or profit margins, and also if there was an underlying opinion that ‘Canon must’ then that would be reflected in dissatisfaction from the investor angle. Canon is, first and foremost, a business that makes cameras, not a camera company.

Upvote 0
Jan 30, 2020
If I were Canon:

We don't know the revolution of the camera yet, it could be higher than many people think.

Half of me thinks that Canon is playing a trick on us and will include announcement of 8K at the last minute.

That way they can say that they didn't want to focus on that spec this time around since they were so heavily criticized for it with the R5.

Upvote 0

Atlasman

EOS R6 MKII
CR Pro
May 14, 2020
It is a friendly discussion, how much friendlier can it be than doing it from our armchairs? Surely it is my place to offer a counterpoint?

Anyway, my point was this, you said “Canon must” to which I said none of us really know the actual economies of the market, in sales or profit margins, and also if there was an underlying opinion that ‘Canon must’ then that would be reflected in dissatisfaction from the investor angle. Canon is, first and foremost, a business that makes cameras, not a camera company.

"It is very easy to armchair quarterback everybody" is derogatory not friendly.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
"It is very easy to armchair quarterback everybody" is derogatory not friendly.
It can be derogatory, but not in this case... in my opinion. He's simply stating fact. We're all just sitting around speculating about "woulds, coulda, shoulda, when we have not much insight into the big picture.

Upvote 0

Atlasman

EOS R6 MKII
CR Pro
May 14, 2020
It can be derogatory, but not in this case... in my opinion. He's simply stating fact. We're all just sitting around speculating about "woulds, coulda, shoulda, when we have not much insight into the big picture.
Not in this case? Go back a read his entire message and tell me it was not derogatory. Then in his subsequent message, he decided to soften his position.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Not in this case? Go back a read his entire message and tell me it was not derogatory. Then in his subsequent message, he decided to soften his position.
No I didn’t soften my position, my position is exactly what it was and still is.

I am from the UK and in my experience ‘armchair quarterbacking’ is not an insult. We are all talking sh!t about stuff we don’t really have any deep understanding of but we have an emotional commitment to because we buy their product. But comments that include things like “Canon must” are invariably complete nonsense, so many times Canon have proven they don’t have to do what we, armchair quarterbacks, think is obvious they should do. Look back a few years at the DR wars and Canon’s actual timeframe for their sensor development.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
If I were Canon:

But you’re not Canon.

You believe Canon ‘needs to respond to the A1 and the Z9’, so if those cameras are so superior as to require Canon to match them, I presume you’re already a Sony and/or Nikon user. If not, why wait?

Upvote 0