More information about the upcoming RF mount Cinema EOS series of cameras [CR2]

I'm not sure about the specs for the 4K120. The R5 doesn't allow SD cards to record 4K100/120 (8 or 10 bit)- I assume because of sustained write bit rates. Someone else can do the maths :)
UHS-II specs has max 300MB/s half duplex speeds but there are roughly only 8 cards that get over 200MB/s with 3 or 4 hitting over 250MB/s (Angelbird, Prograde, Lexar, ProSony SF-G). 128GB is not a long recording time. Only a couple of 256B cards and no 512GB UHS-II cards that I can find.
UHS-III hits 624MB/s full duplex but I don't think that there are any on the market yet and they will probably be bypassed by SD Express standard and there are none of them.
I assume that external recorders will be most used for these cameras as there are a lot of limitations from SD cards.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

DrToast

CR Pro
Mar 10, 2016
I really can’t get over he amount of junk ads on this site, seriously annoying, has to be one of the worst sites that I visit. Seriously pathetic, especially on a phone where they jump your text as they load.

Wow. I came to post exactly this. It's not so much the ads, but the fact that the page doesn't fully load for about 5 seconds while all the ads are loading and moving things around.

I don't mind the ads, but can we at least get the layout to load immediately?

Or even a subscription membership to support the site and turn ads off.

It's pretty horrendous lately. I'd pay to support this site and get rid of the ads.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Sep 29, 2018
Then why have all the videonazi's been criticizing everything Canon make that relies on crop ff sensor video? I haven't heard a single photographer complain about it...

It is driven by the Youtube crowd like Peter McKinnon and Matti H... . YT amplifies their opinions beyond what mere humans can accomplish. Both the guys seem like nice people (on camera) and Peter's "This is the R5" was just amazing. But here is the thing. They all whine incessantly about needing FF for greater DOF. But how often are they shooting video wide open? Take a look at their videos. Not very often.

Yep, this is the correct answer. The crop is basically a problem for two reasons

1. It makes you shift fields of view between different modes, which is annoying; workable, but annoying. And when competitors do it without crops (a7III, GH5, etc), it stands out.

2. People will accept it if it means the sharpest possible video as a result. So, for example you dont really see people complaining that the FUJI XT cameras crop in some modes, because they are class leading video. Almost nobody complained that the GH4 cropped in 4k60 because no other cam had 4k60.

Canon's problem was bringing weak video performance AND having weird items that were crippled

Agreed. The fact that Canon was sluffing off their upscaled 2.8K as 4K and then doing truly bizarre things with the crop with the 'R' didn't help. Here is the thing Canon messed up bad. They just went to sleep for a decade and then realized they had messed up and tried to massively over compensate and that came back and bit them in the arse as well. They need to shake up management over there.

This isn't even interesting without Raw. Raw to an external recorder would have been worth looking at. But for an RF version of the C200 (with a C200 style price tag), to not have Raw rules out a decent percentage of the potential audience.

Which is one of the reasons why I jumped ship on the cinema side. There were a number of things that added into that decision but that was on of the biggest.

This is off topic but there are some hard core camera people in here so if you want to see some stills from the new Ursa 12K you can find them here. It runs a different kind of sensor from the standard Bayer and it does some interesting things to the image.
https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=118862

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 384473

Then why have all the videonazi's been criticizing everything Canon make that relies on crop ff sensor video? I haven't heard a single photographer complain about it...
Bro... You need to take some time off the forums. Very distasteful name calling with those you disagree with. Not sure you even understand who or what you’re arguing.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Bro... You need to take some time off the forums. Very distasteful name calling with those you disagree with. Not sure you even understand who or what you’re arguing.
Jim Jim, anybody that has been here for any amount of time knows how much grief and how disproportionate the whingefest from the ‘video’ crowd has been at each and every Canon stills orientated body release basically since the 5D II. Not one of them has had a good word to say about any Canon product until about six months after release, it’s been sickening in it vitriol and predictability, and ultimate reversal. Though the last always done much more quietly.

If you were lucky enough to get an R5 in the first batch and it doesn’t do what you need it to then sell it for over $1,000 more than you paid for it and put that towards something that will. I am so sick and tired of people moaning about the most accomplished stills orientated hybrid Canon have ever made because it isn’t a C700, or it doesn’t have 12mp and the compromises that would bring. Compare like for like and use it for what its intended and specc’ed, or sell it for an unheard of profit in a mass market camera model and get something that will, then send us a link of your masterpiece because I’m not seeing much, just hearing a load of whinging.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 384473

Jim Jim, anybody that has been here for any amount of time knows how much grief and how disproportionate the whingefest from the ‘video’ crowd has been at each and every Canon stills orientated body release basically since the 5D II. Not one of them has had a good word to say about any Canon product until about six months after release, it’s been sickening in it vitriol and predictability, and ultimate reversal. Though the last always done much more quietly.

If you were lucky enough to get an R5 in the first batch and it doesn’t do what you need it to then sell it for over $1,000 more than you paid for it and put that towards something that will. I am so sick and tired of people moaning about the most accomplished stills orientated hybrid Canon have ever made because it isn’t a C700, or it doesn’t have 12mp and the compromises that would bring. Compare like for like and use it for what its intended and specc’ed, or sell it for an unheard of profit in a mass market camera model and get something that will, then send us a link of your masterpiece because I’m not seeing much, just hearing a load of whinging.
But this post is about two RF S35 cinema cameras... Not a FF DSLR or mirrorless hybrid. Not the R5. Not the C700 ( Keep in mind we could grab a C500 II for $16k but I’m personally interested in that DGO sensor).

We’re excited that Canon might be positioning this DGO sensor at this price. It’s a real clean image and easy to expose. Need more info as how R300 differs from C300 III though... As a C300 II user (S35... always has been and always will be) I am excited about the new cinema cameras.

And there you go generalizing all video shooters again. And now prejudging people’s work and art. Man... Very negative. Bad energy. I’m sending positive vibes your way: I hope you love the R5 when you get your copy. I hope you love what you make because that’s what matters.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
But this post is about two RF S35 cinema cameras... Not a FF DSLR or mirrorless hybrid. Not the R5. Not the C700 ( Keep in mind we could grab a C500 II for $16k but I’m personally interested in that DGO sensor).

We’re excited that Canon might be positioning this DGO sensor at this price. It’s a real clean image and easy to expose. Need more info as how R300 differs from C300 III though... As a C300 II user (S35... always has been and always will be) I am excited about the new cinema cameras.

And there you go generalizing all video shooters again. And now prejudging people’s work and art. Man... Very negative. Bad energy. I’m sending positive vibes your way: I hope you love the R5 when you get your copy. I hope you love what you make because that’s what matters.
And it took three posts for somebody to mention the R5 and six posts until somebody moaned about the R5. My first comment (fourth post) wasn’t related to either of them. My second comment in the thread was a reply to the sixth post.

My first post asked a simply question directly related to the S35 sensor size, my second railed against yet another dig at the R5 from a video context. Yet you imply I am out of order?

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017

after like 200 super negative "R5 is an overheating drama" posts you now in a positive vibe sending mood and criticising someone else being negative and bad energy? Okaaay.. well, PBD remains one of the most helpful forum members. I am confident that his input is well appreciated. whether your input is questionable to say the least.

++++ Bro... You need to take some time off the forums. Very distasteful name calling with those you disagree with. Not sure you even understand who or what you’re arguing.

A.M.: I believe that you are the one who needs to take some time off the forum. and the longer the better. here you have it..

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 384473

after like 200 super negative "R5 is an overheating drama" posts you now in a positive vibe sending mood and criticising someone else being negative and bad energy? Okaaay.. well, PBD remains one of the most helpful forum members. I am confident that his input is well appreciated. whether your input is questionable to say the least.

++++ Bro... You need to take some time off the forums. Very distasteful name calling with those you disagree with. Not sure you even understand who or what you’re arguing.

A.M.: I believe that you are the one who needs to take some time off the forum. and the longer the better. here you have it..
You construct a false narrative with my overheating comments. I had issues with the marketing but not the camera and if you look at those forums I told many stills photographers that I sincerely hope they loved their camera and that it was top of its class but I guess you choose to overlook those since it doesn’t feed your narrative I haven’t seen anything constructive from you or your buddy in this thread. So save your breath.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 384473

And it took three posts for somebody to mention the R5 and six posts until somebody moaned about the R5. My first comment (fourth post) wasn’t related to either of them. My second comment in the thread was a reply to the sixth post.

My first post asked a simply question directly related to the S35 sensor size, my second railed against yet another dig at the R5 from a video context. Yet you imply I am out of order?
Am I looking at the right thread? The first few posts are about SDI, size, price? In fact, your comment is the first I see complaining about video shooters? I imply that you’re on an RF S35 cinema post generalizing that all video shoots whine about FF (and the R5 too apparently?)
Theres even someone saying this would be a great A cam for their two R5s! Like bro..

N E G A T I V E

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
You construct a false narrative with my overheating comments. I had issues with the marketing but not the camera and if you look at those forums I told many stills photographers that I sincerely hope they loved their camera and that it was top of its class but I guess you choose to overlook those since it doesn’t feed your narrative I haven’t seen anything constructive from you or your buddy in this thread. So save your breath.
I am referring to your overall forum input being so far extremely non-productive. I learned a ton from PBD. I learned none reading your post criticising flaws in Canon EU marketing messages. You are not being helpful..

Last edited:
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 384473

I am referring to your overall forum input being so far extremely non-productive. I learned a ton from PBD. I learned none reading your post criticising flaws in Canon EU marketing messages. You are not being helpful..
I’m glad you’ve partaken in my Canon Rumors catalog, I’m flattered... but hate to break it to you, kid... My intention was never to teach you, especially not with posts that criticized Canon’s marketing. My intention was to criticize Canon’s marketing.

Now I’m criticizing PBD’s complaints and generalizations on video shooters in this RF cine thread... An RF camera I’m interested in since it shares the sensor to a camera I’m impressed by - C300 III.

It’s odd... Your feelings seem hurt more than PBD‘s... Wait... PBD? Is that you?....

Hah. Jokes. Anyways mate, you have anything to add about these cine cameras?

Upvote 0

PhotoGenerous

R5/R6 + GAS
CR Pro
Apr 11, 2017
Agreed. The fact that Canon was sluffing off their upscaled 2.8K as 4K and then doing truly bizarre things with the crop with the 'R' didn't help. Here is the thing Canon messed up bad. They just went to sleep for a decade and then realized they had messed up and tried to massively over compensate and that came back and bit them in the arse as well. They need to shake up management over there.

Did they sleep for a decade? I'm pretty sure Canon wouldn't be where it is with the R5 if they didn't start with the original EOS M in 2012. (Which I'm sure they began working on at least a year or two prior to release, which would take us to a decade ago). And all their work with DPAF starting with the 70D released in 2013 plays a big role as well.

They only assembled the full frame mirrorless recently, but they've been working and waiting for enough of the individual pieces to be ready before putting it all together.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
I’m glad you’ve partaken in my Canon Rumors catalog, I’m flattered... but hate to break it to you, kid... My intention was never to teach you, especially not with posts that criticized Canon’s marketing. My intention was to criticize Canon’s marketing.

Now I’m criticizing PBD’s complaints and generalizations on video shooters in this RF cine thread... An RF camera I’m interested in since it shares the sensor to a camera I’m impressed by - C300 III.

It’s odd... Your feelings seem hurt more than PBD‘s... Wait... PBD? Is that you?....

Hah. Jokes. Anyways mate, you have anything to add about these cine cameras?
yes, I have:
1. I am not your mate.
2. I am not a kid
3. I am not your Bro...
4. your posts add no value to CR forum apart from noise, negativity and Boganville styled humor.
5. ++++ Bro... You need to take some time off the forums. Very distasteful name calling with those you disagree with. Not sure you even understand who or what you’re arguing.

Upvote 0

Rocksthaman

Eos R , R6 , R5
Jul 9, 2020
And yet again you didn't answer the second part of the question, what can you currently buy for well under $4,000 that does that?

Any modern Sony has all three log profiles +HLG and no record limit. A7Siii has raw, there are plenty of 4k60 cameras but s1h and the new Sony come to mind first.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0