More Mentions of a Canon Mirrorless Announcement Ahead of Photokina [CR1]

Jan 12, 2011
Everyone from independent moviemakers to small production companies would sell GH5/s to buy something similar/better from Canon, even if it's more expensive, I know that for sure.

This is absolutely true. But a smaller form factor and better video specs are required. 4K 60p in 8-bit and 4K 30p in 10-bit minimum, plus 240fps FHD and Clog with S35mm sensor. Plus it better take great photos and be a true hybrid cam.

Upvote 0
Jul 31, 2018
Frankly, there is little chance of this. What you want is a C300 mkii. It does exactly what you say want, you just don't want to pay for one.

If there is a C100mkiii it would most likely be a C200 without RAW/CFAST. A 4K cinema camera with ND filters (hopefully up to the 10 stops found on the C200), xlrs, face detect DPAF with touchscreen, 1080p120, CLOG 1-3, EF mount and which uses the 8 bit internal codecs found on the C200 possibly with 10 bit out over hdmi (probably not sdi).

With the C200 priced at US$7500 this would likely sell for about $5500 and would be a great entry level 4k cinema camera. If you really need 10 bit for all the tv spots you shoot buy a C300, you can afford it. If you only occasionally need that buy a C200 and shoot RAW on the few occasions you need it. The internal 8 bit codecs on the C200 are more than fine for about 98% of web-based stuff.
I agree mostly because we are in Canon world, otherwise this could happen (I can see a GH6 having 90% of these).

Upvote 0
A Canon seller told at my working place, they are puting all their energy on the APS-C EOS-M line.

After using the M50 over 5 weeks I see that Canon has at least put some energy into the EOS M line: It is a very useful tool which does not go into the way during taking photos. While a 24x36mm digital sensor for the Canon F-1 new was all I dreamed of to have a "perfect" camera I see a chance for these fully virtual EVF equipped systems to be a photographic tool.

But I am shure Canon needs at least one FF mirrorless body and I would not be surprised if they make some 6D-like mirrorless option first thinking of a scaled M50. They need to keep the "FF mirrorless is sexy"-crowd in their system.
In the high end sector EOS 1Dx ii and EOS 5D iv are very capable bodies and for those using a 2.8 400 it is not so important to shave off some millimeters or some 100g from the body.

And about the title: I would modify it
"More Mentions of a Canon Mirrorless Announcement Ahead of which Photokina"

I would never use this years photokina to make a great anouncement which is superseeded next photokina in May 2019.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
BTW....NO BODY is interested in the 400 f/2.8 III???
I´m for sure interested in that.
Plan to get a new 400/2,8 in a pretty close time range.
Please, please, please give us a 400/2,8 with a built in TC.
And I will for sure buy it as soon as I can.

Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
You are joking right? No one can possibly be that pessimistic.
Hardly doomed but it is a risky strategy by Canon to be slow to the mirrorless full frame market.
It's only anecdotal and not reflective of the market as a whole but a friend of mine works in a camera shop and he's finding alot of Canon and Nikon users trading in to switch to Sony Mirrorless. They are starting to get overstocked in 2nd hand gear. The A7R III has alot of interest in my circles which is serious amateur as opposed to professional.
Part of it is looking for something new and better and no solid word from Canon on a new full frame mirrorless doesn't help. If I were them I'd seriously hint at something while they are getting organised on actual dates. That's what Nikon are doing with the teasing trailers.

Upvote 0
Oct 26, 2013
Who cares? What does it matter if Sony becomes the number 1 seller of FF cameras? Or Nikon? Why does it matter to anyone? Do they only want a camera if it is made by no. 1?

With that type of thinking, I guess I should toss out my Olympus E-M1, since Olympus is not the market leader.

Each person should buy the camera they want from the company they want. My guess is that those folks who are so impatient that they can't wait even a year or two to buy their next camera aren't a big share of the market and are just as likely to switch brands 3 or 4 years from now.

Hardly doomed but it is a risky strategy by Canon to be slow to the mirrorless full frame market.
It's only anecdotal and not reflective of the market as a whole but a friend of mine works in a camera shop and he's finding alot of Canon and Nikon users trading in to switch to Sony Mirrorless. They are starting to get overstocked in 2nd hand gear. The A7R III has alot of interest in my circles which is serious amateur as opposed to professional.
Part of it is looking for something new and better and no solid word from Canon on a new full frame mirrorless doesn't help. If I were them I'd seriously hint at something while they are getting organised on actual dates. That's what Nikon are doing with the teasing trailers.

Upvote 0

Expect those same people to stand in line for the Nikon and then the Canon FF mirrorless... Being first is nice but usually results in not having the best solution, such as using an APS-C mount for a FF sensor and needing 3 iterations to get to where they should have been from the get go...

And you are right, it's just anecdotal.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

HankMD

SLR newbie since July, 2012
CR Pro
Oct 14, 2013
Taiwan
Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
Expect those same people to stand in line for the Nikon and then the Canon FF mirrorless... Being first is nice but usually results in not having the best solution, such as using an APS-C mount for a FF sensor and needing 3 iterations to get to where they should have been from the get go...

And you are right, it's just anecdotal.
Time will tell. New customers are very important to the long term health of a company. They often buy what they see as popular. Which is why Canon put so much effort into TV sports. A large chunk of FF buyers are serious amateurs. They do influence the beginner purchasers . You don’t want too many of them to move to Sony as what starts with a trickle can grow. People here seem to take comfort in Canons APS-C sales on MILC but very few are jumping for joy with them as a camera. It is currently still a strong brand based on its legacy and strong line up of lens. It needs to keep that feeling among consumers.

Upvote 0