More than just the Canon EOS R5C will be announced on January 19, 2022

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
*Update* I have had conflicting information about the announcements next week. While all of this information below is correct, it may not all happen on January 19, 2022. More to come…
I love announcement week! I have now confirmed more Cinema EOS goodies that we can look forward to.
Canon EOS R5C
The Canon EOS R5C! Canon’s active cooling video-focused version of the EOS R5. You can check the rumored specifications here.
Canon Cinema EOS C70 Firmware
Canon will announce new firmware for the Canon Cinema EOS C70. The new firmware will add RAW. I don’t know if it’s external or internal.
New Cinema Lenses!
Canon will announce new compact cinema zoom lenses. I think it’s safe to assume that the RF mount will be offered.
New 8K Options?
The Canon Cinema EOS C300 Mark III and Canon Cinema EOS C500 Mark II...

Continue reading...

Last edited:
Hoping that C300III/500II module will actually be an RF mount. It'd make a ton of sense to release them in tandem with new RF cine lenses, and I see no reason why it wouldn't be possible given that the bodies already have swappable mounts. By swapping the mount you can change the flange distance, so it should be entirely possible. And I'd love to be able to use the Canon speedbooster on my C300 Mark III to get a full frame field of view -- something the C70, which costs half as much, can already do.

It also doesn't make a lot of sense to me to release new RF cine zooms, which we can expect to be very expensive, when the only Canon cine camera that could use them are the R5C and C70 -- neither of which are intended to be used as A cameras on pro sets.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
After Seven Long Years of Waiting

Canon Please Give US the

100 Megapixel

R5s

High Resolution Camera

⛪
Don't hold your breath, I think this is quite low on Canon's priority list, as it will be very much a niche model.

Next in line will probably be an entry model below (or replacing) the RP.

It wouldn't totally surprise me if the R5 "Mkii" and the R1 were both released *before* the alleged 100MP model.

There are also several factors that might contribute to a long delay, including:
  • a fast readout sensor will be needed, with so many megapixels.
  • a new and powerful processor will also be needed, and will have to be affordable, if the camera is to sell.
  • the challenge of getting enough dynamic range to satisfy landscape photographers.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Tidy Media

R5 | R6 | R3 | C70
Jul 13, 2020
Hoping that C300III/500II module will actually be an RF mount. It'd make a ton of sense to release them in tandem with new RF cine lenses, and I see no reason why it wouldn't be possible given that the bodies already have swappable mounts. By swapping the mount you can change the flange distance, so it should be entirely possible.
Unfortuantely adapting EF to RF isn't as easy as RF to EF.

Since the flange distance is shorter with RF, the limitation is the design of the C300's body itself. There's no way to shorten that distance between the lens and the sensor without shaving off the front of the body itself. There would have to be an entirely new body design to use RF lenses.

Upvote 0

CanonGrunt

C70
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2012
Unfortuantely adapting EF to RF isn't as easy as RF to EF.

Since the flange distance is shorter with RF, the limitation is the design of the C300's body itself. There's no way to shorten that distance between the lens and the sensor without shaving off the front of the body itself. There would have to be an entirely new body design to use RF lenses.
The c300 MK III and C500 MK II already have user interchangeable EF and PL mounts. So it’s totally possible. Similar to how there are EF, FD, RF, and PL (and others) interchangeable mounts for other cameras like the RED Komodo and Arri.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
The c300 MK III and C500 MK II already have user interchangeable EF and PL mounts. So it’s totally possible. Similar to how there are EF, FD, RF, and PL (and others) interchangeable mounts for other cameras like the RED Komodo and Arri.
Yep. The one issue I could see physically preventing this as a possibility is the potential that the internal ND tray may not be close enough to the sensor to facilitate the RF flange... But I don't know the technicalities of that. It would have to be the same or dimensionally similar ND system that the C70 uses I suppose.

Upvote 0

CanonGrunt

C70
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2012
O
Yep. The one issue I could see physically preventing this as a possibility is the potential that the internal ND tray may not be close enough to the sensor to facilitate the RF flange... But I don't know the technicalities of that. It would have to be the same or dimensionally similar ND system that the C70 uses I suppose.
Oh yeah. I have no idea on that. So, maybe…

Upvote 0

clearlyed

R5, R5c, C200, c500 and loads of glass
Apr 20, 2020
incolorstudios.com
Maybe they will finally push into the RF line.
I’m thinking a full frame line and a super 35 line.
R5c & C500RF - fullframe
C70 & C300 - super 35

If they added a $7k full frame camera like the c70 but with a better body shape and call it the c50 they would be onto an absolute winner of a full frame line.

C5, C50, C500

They would sell soooo many of this range. It would be the canon version of the Sony FX Line

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0