More than just the Canon EOS R5C will be announced on January 19, 2022

After skipping a new 5D, 5D ii, 5D iii, 5D iv, R5 finally a good candidate which will make a great tool for both worlds - photo AND video.
Bought the 16-35 f/4 EF lens last week and it gives me a smile to see that I have the option to use the ND equipped EF->RF adapter with this lens ... and maybe an R5c ...

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Sep 3, 2018
Maybe they will finally push into the RF line.
I’m thinking a full frame line and a super 35 line.
R5c & C500RF - fullframe
C70 & C300 - super 35

If they added a $7k full frame camera like the c70 but with a better body shape and call it the c50 they would be onto an absolute winner of a full frame line.

C5, C50, C500

They would sell soooo many of this range. It would be the canon version of the Sony FX Line
That would be my perfect cinema camera.

Crossing everything in hope it’s not just an R5 with a fan and waveform monitoring.

Upvote 0
Agreed. Sony's A7sIII/FX3/FX6/FX9 lineup is very impressive for its cohesive sensor size, features, mount, etc. Canon's has been all over the place in mounts, sensor sizes, capabilities, etc. So they need to make it cleaner and easier. A Super35 lineup and a full-frame one makes sense. Weird they didn't call the C70 the C30 (to go with the C300), and save the C70 for the C700 match.

But an RF Mount C50 that is full-frame and has internal raw for around $7-8k would be excellent.
-
Outside of that, really looking forward to whatever the cinema zooms are. The 18-80mm T4.4 was a joy to use and a great image, but T4.4 was just a bit too slow for Super35 sensor. T4 on full-frame might work, but hoping they can make a full-frame cinema zoom at T2.8 and keep it under 1.2kg or so - even shave off some focal length, like a classic 24-70. We'll see.

Upvote 0

CanonGrunt

C70
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2012

Attachments

• 379D1A84-B358-4C4D-A6D2-96654C0A5856.png
    379D1A84-B358-4C4D-A6D2-96654C0A5856.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 37
Upvote 0

CanonGrunt

C70
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2012

From Canon UK:​

“Cinema RAW light​

The EOS C70 now offers users the ability to capture Cinema RAW Light internally to SD cards*. RAW provides you with greater image quality and flexibility in post-production.
On-top of the existing 10-bit XF-AVC currently found in the EOS C70, 12-bit Cinema RAW Light LT features data rates up to 645Mbps, offering much more manageable/efficient file sizes to streamline your workflow, while retaining the same benefits of RAW. Simultaneous recording of Cinema RAW Light and XF-AVC Proxies is also supported.

* firmware available in March 2022”

Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
Still hoping for those rumored super fast RF mount Sumire Prime Cinema lenses.

Raw for my c70 is a lovely surprise though.
Would be interesting :)
My guess is, that canon will bring Autofocus to the RF Cine-Lenses. It must makes sense in my opinion. Espeicaly with cameras like the C70 and C300. These are often used for documentary and difficult conditions. Autofocus would certainly be a great addition on the higher end lenses for this kind of work :)

Upvote 0
Agreed. Sony's A7sIII/FX3/FX6/FX9 lineup is very impressive for its cohesive sensor size, features, mount, etc. Canon's has been all over the place in mounts, sensor sizes, capabilities, etc. So they need to make it cleaner and easier. A Super35 lineup and a full-frame one makes sense. Weird they didn't call the C70 the C30 (to go with the C300), and save the C70 for the C700 match.

But an RF Mount C50 that is full-frame and has internal raw for around $7-8k would be excellent.
-
Outside of that, really looking forward to whatever the cinema zooms are. The 18-80mm T4.4 was a joy to use and a great image, but T4.4 was just a bit too slow for Super35 sensor. T4 on full-frame might work, but hoping they can make a full-frame cinema zoom at T2.8 and keep it under 1.2kg or so - even shave off some focal length, like a classic 24-70. We'll see.
This.

I left Canon because of the stupid design they did on the C70. Everything about it in terms of ergonomics is terrible. If they would release your idea of a C50 with a box style design in that price range, I would gladly jump back just so I could use some RF lenses. My FX6 has been great, but I much prefer Canon's glass and even thought the color science on Sony has gotten much better, side by side, I much prefer Canon's look..... and vastly prefer their glass. I just refuse to go back until they release a cinema camera with an RF mount that doesn't have DSLR ergonomics. Just follow and improve the design of the Komodo and FX6 and it'll be great.

They could basically just throw the C70 in a box-style body with full size XLR inputs and I would buy it without hesitation.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Sep 29, 2018
Would be interesting :)
My guess is, that canon will bring Autofocus to the RF Cine-Lenses. It must makes sense in my opinion. Espeicaly with cameras like the C70 and C300. These are often used for documentary and difficult conditions. Autofocus would certainly be a great addition on the higher end lenses for this kind of work :)

You will never see AF in cine lenses. The internals are all wrong and you can't do AF over PL mount.. If you want AF they will continue to expect you to strap a photo lens to the front.

Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
You will never see AF in cine lenses. The internals are all wrong and you can't do AF over PL mount.. If you want AF they will continue to expect you to strap a photo lens to the front.
Internals can be changed in the future generation. The RF lenses also got a HEAVY change designewise, canon achieved MUCH smaller lenses with a way different design. So major changes in the lense design shouldnt hold canon back.
PL mount could be a reason. But it looks like Canon is going all in with the RF mount. So they may prioritize that. Also, they could offer Cine lenses with AF, and the AF just wont work if you want to use PL.
I think AF is getting more important, coming from the "lower end" cinema lenses. C200, C70, C300 and even C500 got it. Even RED is starting with AF cameras, coming from the bottom with the RED Komodo, which offers basic AF and an RF mount :) So I think its possible and not unreasonable. Many people strive for a higher quality but want an easy to operate camera, with a large sensor. Especialy for documentaries, these cameras are popular. An thats where Cine RF lenses with AF could be a novum and shine =)

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Dec 31, 2021
Unfortuantely adapting EF to RF isn't as easy as RF to EF.

Since the flange distance is shorter with RF, the limitation is the design of the C300's body itself. There's no way to shorten that distance between the lens and the sensor without shaving off the front of the body itself. There would have to be an entirely new body design to use RF lenses.
the way is to add extra optics in the adapter to extend the path of light rays, but certainly it is expensive and not ideal

Upvote 0

RunAndGun

CR Pro
Dec 16, 2011
If there's one thing I've learned in all these years of life and an almost quarter century working in this crazy business, Never Say Never. All of the Canon Cine Servo lenses can auto focus on Canon Cine cameras from the C300/II up. I've put my 17-120 on one and It's crazy to see a lens like that being driven by autofocus. Also, talk to Panavision. They already have a line of lenses with internal servos. No, they're not being used for AF, but it's becoming trivial... I'm not going to get into the debate of creativity and decision making of focusing, because all of what I shoot is manual focus, but for meat & potatoes "just keep the subject/their face/their eyes in focus" stuff, some of the systems out there today are ridiculously good and damn near infallible.

Upvote 0