More than just the Canon EOS R5C will be announced on January 19, 2022

RunAndGun

CR Pro
Dec 16, 2011
Except Canon already has two cinema zoom lenses that have AF, the 18-80mm t4.4 (https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod..._e_18_80mm_t4_4_compact_servo.html?ap=y&smp=y) and the 70-200mm. You could argue that they are hybrid lenses, but they are called "cinema zoom lenses."
Well, actually five... You left out the 17-120, 25-250 and 50-1000 Cine Servo's.

I have't tried it on my 25-250(for several reasons), but I have put my 17-120 on a 300/II and activated the AF and it is kind of crazy watching a lens like that being driven by AF.

Upvote 0
Sep 29, 2018
If there's one thing I've learned in all these years of life and an almost quarter century working in this crazy business, Never Say Never. All of the Canon Cine Servo lenses can auto focus on Canon Cine cameras from the C300/II up. I've put my 17-120 on one and It's crazy to see a lens like that being driven by autofocus. Also, talk to Panavision. They already have a line of lenses with internal servos. No, they're not being used for AF, but it's becoming trivial... I'm not going to get into the debate of creativity and decision making of focusing, because all of what I shoot is manual focus, but for meat & potatoes "just keep the subject/their face/their eyes in focus" stuff, some of the systems out there today are ridiculously good and damn near infallible.
That is like saying that if Angénieux bundled the Ronin 3D focus system with their lenses they were now making auto focus lenses. Ya, OK, sure. But that is one heck of a stretching of what an autofocus lens is.

Upvote 0

RunAndGun

CR Pro
Dec 16, 2011
That is like saying that if Angénieux bundled the Ronin 3D focus system with their lenses they were now making auto focus lenses. Ya, OK, sure. But that is one heck of a stretching of what an autofocus lens is.
The servo's are just in different places... "AF" lenses aren't making the decisions all by themselves. The camera is and then sending signals to drive the servos to move the lens elements into the proper position. We've had similar discussions on professional boards many times. Pretty much any lens could be turned into an "AF lens" if a manufacturer decided to implement it in their cameras. Yes, there is a little more to it than just saying it, but at its most base, they just have to interface it with external servos that will drive the lens.

Upvote 0