Mother of God - D800 scores 95 DxOMark

Status
Not open for further replies.
briansquibb said:
IQ deduced from a sensor score that reflects numerous measurements not relating to IQ?

Hugh? Even dxo's critics in this thread state that the measurements aren't the problem, just the non-transparent computation of the final score.

briansquibb said:
Google's algorithm does not give a score that influences spending habits nor does it pretend to be 100% accurate.

You should think again about this statement: Google does give a score (rank 1, 2, 3, 4) and if you don't think the Google rank influences spending habits ... well, what can I possibly say?

Where does dxo state that their sensor score is 100% accurate and the ultimate judgement? Every smart person will know a overall score is a reduction of complexity and thus has to lose accuracy - so it's not wise to take it as a sole basis for a decision. And while it is regrettable dxo doesn't disclose their formula, this fact alone doesn't prove they're out to get Canon.

Upvote 0
B

briansquibb

Marsu42 said:
briansquibb said:
IQ deduced from a sensor score that reflects numerous measurements not relating to IQ?

Hugh? Even dxo's critics in this thread state that the measurements aren't the problem, just the non-transparent computation of the final score.

briansquibb said:
Google's algorithm does not give a score that influences spending habits nor does it pretend to be 100% accurate.

You should think again about this statement: Google does give a score (rank 1, 2, 3, 4) and if you don't think the Google rank influences spending habits ... well, what can I possibly say?

Where does dxo state that their sensor score is 100% accurate and the ultimate judgement? Every smart person will know a overall score is a reduction of complexity and thus has to lose accuracy - so it's not wise to take it as a sole basis for a decision. And while it is regrettable dxo doesn't disclose their formula, this fact alone doesn't prove they're out to get Canon.

I have never said DxO are out to get Canon

My Google doesn't give a rank. just a long list of sites. Google doesn't influence spending habits - does Google say 'this product is better than that product'?

Unlike DxO which gives comparisons based on unknown weighting and algorithms

Upvote 0
briansquibb said:
I have never said DxO are out to get Canon

And I have never said you said it.

briansquibb said:
My Google doesn't give a rank. just a long list of sites. Google doesn't influence spending habits - does Google say 'this product is better than that product'?

Omg - please catch up with digital reality, will you? As my one, first and last hint on this: the product seo companies sell to their corporate clients is called a rank, and it's much more important than any test score because it *does* influence purchases like nothing else. If Joe Sixpack types "video dlsr" in Google, and the first page is filled with Nikon products, what will he think is best and what will he buy, hmmmmm?

Influencing people doesn't need a direct comparison like a numerical score, or advertising wouldn't have any sense at all. At least with an aggregated score, smart people will know it's subjective, unlike Google ranking ("long list of sites") which seems to be valued too low my many - obviously including you.

Upvote 0
briansquibb said:
They don't have to say anything. Where someone appears on that list will affect a websites hit count.

If it were possible to simply "buy" a ranking on the google search engines, there would be a market for it and people would pay for it.

Unlike DxO which gives comparisons based on unknown weighting and algorithms

The aggregate score is clearly subjective, because the choice of how to weigh the factors is subjective. We should take the aggregate score for what it is -- DxO's subjective take.

However, there have not just been complaints about the aggregate sensor scores in these threads, but also largely unsubstantiated attacks on DxO, originating from those who don't like the numbers.

The measurements are what they are. It's not DxO's fault that the data are what they are.

Upvote 0
After my partner and I did our side by side tests, we realized that we could no longer refer to DXO's findings in making any final decisions, whether DXO is accurate or not.

The simple reason is that when we presented approximately 25 portraits shot side by side with the 5D3 and D800 using the exact same settings and positioning, the Canon shot was chosen 95% of the time.

I want to emphasize that I am simply sharing my findings, I do not idolize either company and because of habit am better acquainted to Nikons personally.

I love both companies and full heartedly believe that beautiful photography will never be the result of a camera, it is from the artist.

Upvote 0
However, there have not just been complaints about the aggregate sensor scores in these threads, but also largely unsubstantiated attacks on DxO, originating from those who don't like the numbers.

The measurements are what they are. It's not DxO's fault that the data are what they are.

+1. Exactly.

The simple reason is that when we presented approximately 25 portraits shot side by side with the 5D3 and D800 using the exact same settings and positioning, the Canon shot was chosen 95% of the time.

Did you shoot JPEG?

Upvote 0
elflord said:
ere possible to simply "buy" a ranking on the google search engines, there would be a market for it and people would pay for it.

This is off-topic, but fyi: There is a flourishing market for this, it's called seo ("s3arch engine optimization") and many many blogs are run for the sole reason to put client's links for money on them, boosting the Google rank of the linked site... a friend of mine is working full-time building these pseudo-sites, writing or letting write blog posts while then adding a paid article with a link. With this system, Google cannot tell a real blog site from a seo one, though they keep trying.

Upvote 0
lonebear said:
Ellen Schmidtee said:
sarangiman said:
The D800 has 14 bits A/D converters, so how could it have more than 14 bits of dynamic range?

A JPEG file is 8-bit, but that doesn't mean that the maximum scene dynamic range it can encode is only 8 stops, correct?

I'm not so sure.

Think about printing greyscale images with only pure black ink. So you basically have only two colors pure white and pure black, one stop DR only? And it is possible to print a fine greyscale image if the resolution is fine enough. The technique is some kind old.

OK, I'll try to be more explicit.

As far as I understand, the photosites measure the amount of light falling on them, and the A/D converter turns the analog energy measurement into a number, and those two stage are linear. Therefore, no matter how many shades of gray are there between 2^14 and 2^13, those two shades are one stop apart.

Do I misunderstand?

Upvote 0
dilbert said:
(portrait color depth bits) + (landscape dynamic range) + sqrt(sports low light ISO)
24 11 47
= 82

I don't think sqrt(low light ISO) makes sense -- you need to take the log of it. The other two scales are in stops, so the third score needs to be transformed to get it into stops. You might need to transform it to get it right after that (e.g. add an offset and a multiplier).

The way you're doing it with sqrt instead of log, the function will grow too quickly (which is why you get lower scores for small sensor cameras)

Upvote 0
nearly a month after having aquired a D800 and used it extensively, I can say DXO is right. I don't know about the score part, but about the part that it is indeed the best sensor on any 35mm DSLR to date. Nothing, and I mean nothing I've used from canon even comes remotely close. DR is as stunningly high as they claim and high ISO performance is surprisingly good rivaling the 5DIII on printed output.

It will be interesting to see how canon will respond with the 5Dmk4 in 3 years. I suspect they are done with 20MP and the next 5D body will go back to the original 5DII formula that proved so successful: push image quality, not frame rate.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
B

briansquibb

Upvote 0
P

pixelkiller

briansquibb said:
Orion said:
Mother of God part Deux!

Quick Sensor Summary: Nikon D800E is new king in sensor quality
The Nikon D800E received an overall DxOMark score of 96 points, making it the best camera ever tested at DxOMark. It edged out the D800 – which was crowned king of camera quality back in March – by a single point.

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Publications/DxOMark-Reviews/Nikon-D800E-nabs-top-ranking-from-D800

Pretty poor at wildlife/sports though.

Simple. It was never meant for that.

Upvote 0
Apr 24, 2012
briansquibb said:
Orion said:
Mother of God part Deux!

The Nikon D800E received an overall DxOMark score of 96 points, making it the best camera ever tested at DxOMark. It edged out the D800 – which was crowned king of camera quality back in March – by a single point.

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Publications/DxOMark-Reviews/Nikon-D800E-nabs-top-ranking-from-D800

Same as a fork is a pretty poor tool to eat a soup. Don't see a lot of people complaining about that.

Upvote 0
B

briansquibb

Albi86 said:
briansquibb said:
Orion said:
Mother of God part Deux!

Same as a fork is a pretty poor tool to eat a soup. Don't see a lot of people complaining about that.

Only those that get given a fork to eat soup

Probably means most 7D and 1Dx owners

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.