Mounting & dismounting an EF-EOS R adapter... Should I worry...?

The instructions for the Canon Mount Adapter EF-EOS R specifically say to first attach the adapter to the EF-lens, and then attach the now adapted-lens-combo to the camera. The instructions further say that to remove it, you follow the same procedure in reverse. Okay... But what kind'a horrible things could happen if I just leave the adapter attached to the camera (all the time) and simply swap-out different EF-lenses as needed? I'm really hoping that everyone just tells me not to worry so much... I'll even promise to turn-off the camera all the time...

Raptors

CR Pro
Jun 26, 2013
Canada
The instructions for the Canon Mount Adapter EF-EOS R specifically say to first attach the adapter to the EF-lens, and then attach the now adapted-lens-combo to the camera. The instructions further say that to remove it, you follow the same procedure in reverse. Okay... But what kind'a horrible things could happen if I just leave the adapter attached to the camera (all the time) and simply swap-out different EF-lenses as needed? I'm really hoping that everyone just tells me not to worry so much... I'll even promise to turn-off the camera all the time...

What canon told me, it's necessary for the electronics to initialise correctly.

Upvote 0
Have you enabled "release shutter without lens"?
I have and if i change the lens with the adaptor on the R, the AF is disabled. Only manual focus possible.
I'm not 100% sure what you're saying, but I just now double-checked and my autofocus remains enabled (after a lens-swap while the adapter stays on the camera) regardless whether the "Release shutter without lens" option is selected or not... Now I do religiously turn-off the camera while changing lenses, maybe that has something to do with it...

Upvote 0

digigal

Traveling the world one step at a time.
CR Pro
Aug 26, 2014
Don't Do It!!!:eek::eek::eek: I met with a Canon technical rep from Canon headquarters for a 30 min "one on one" on Fri and got to ask ask him anything I wanted to about my R5 and one thing he mentioned in passing was to always turn it off when changing lenses because basically it's a computer and you need to shut it down when you disconnect the lens.
Catherine
PS It was the most worthwhile event I've ever been to. This guy knew absolutely EVERYTHING!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
Don't Do It!!!:eek::eek::eek: I met with a Canon technical rep from Canon headquarters for a 30 min "one on one" on Fri and got to ask ask him anything I wanted to about my R5 and one thing he mentioned in passing was to always turn it off when changing lenses because basically it's a computer and you need to shut it down when you disconnect the lens.
Catherine
PS It was the most worthwhile event I've ever been to. This guy knew absolutely EVERYTHING!
I'm convinced, now!
Formerly, I never paid attention to switching my cameras off when changing lenses, even though both the 100 f2,8 L and the 85 f1,4 L sometimes "rattled" (OIS on...).
But the argument of a camera as a computer is indeed a convincing one!(y)

Upvote 0

Nemorino

EOS R5
Aug 29, 2020
I'm not 100% sure what you're saying, but I just now double-checked and my autofocus remains enabled (after a lens-swap while the adapter stays on the camera) regardless whether the "Release shutter without lens" option is selected or not... Now I do religiously turn-off the camera while changing lenses, maybe that has something to do with it...
Sorry, if i wrote confusingly. I had issues with the AF when changing a Sigma 105 and a 150 with adapter on the R.
I also switched the camera off for the change. Maybe it is only a problem with Sigma lenses, but i will change EF lenses in the future like Canon suggests.

Further i had a weird problem with the Sigma 105 Makro and extentiontubes. These tubes are cheap ones and the mount does not fit perfectly. Once (with the AF switch of the lens turned off) the electronic connection broke down, but i could take pictures the aperture wide open. (only possible if you enable shutter release without lens)

The same with the switch set to AF the display turned black. So i think the camera could recognise issues with the AF if you don´t take off the adapter.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Canon also made a fuss about the order of adding a TC to a lens and body, and it makes not a jot of difference.
and.. and. we are expected to switch off the camera before opening the battery compartment door and popping out battery...
I never switch my 5D4s off for a battery change. ever. just pop the battery compartment door open, battery flies out, a fresh battery pops in, and compartment battery door closed. never had a single issue. :)

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
and.. and. we are expected to switch off the camera before opening the battery compartment door and popping out battery...
I never switch my 5D4s off for a battery change. ever. just pop the battery compartment door open, battery flies out, a fresh battery pops in, and compartment battery door closed. never had a single issue. :)

Older models would stop writing out the buffer when the card or battery door was opened, so you'd loose those photos. Telling users to turn off their camera before opening battery/card doors is much easier than having to hand out flowcharts for when it's safe to do something.

Upvote 0