Moving back to FF - 6D or 5D3 or wait for 6D2/5d4 ???

hmatthes

EOS-R, RF and EF Lenses of all types.
I'm an old EOS Film camera guy with a few older L 2.8 lenses -- and a 70D with many STM lenses.

I could hand hold my A2e/2.8L combos and get stellar results. Now the 70D/STM combos likewise give me stellar results. Hmmmmm... FF at 2.8 w/o IS seems to be just as good as 1.6x/STM in end results.

I want a FF body for landscape work that will give me slightly better image quality (shadow detail etc. w/o HDR)

5D3 and 6D prices are dropping very quickly. My 70D will do all the videos my family insists upon and it is great for sports (damned near everything else too!)

Making 24x36 canvas prints should not require a 5Ds/r -- it requires more than 16 meg but not 50...

Being on a budget, knowing that my FF purpose is landscapes, often low light, difficult manual focus...

What do I buy?

Jan 3, 2014
There is a $1K difference in price between the 5DIII and the 6D. Given your requirements I would say the question is:Is the IQ/ISO performance difference of the 5DIII compared to the 6D worth it? I don't have a 6D to be able to tell you. I do have the 5DIII. My suggestion is to go on YouTube and read reviews comparing the two cameras. I will say that I have heard really glowing remarks about the 6D. Good luck.

Upvote 0

jd7

CR Pro
Feb 3, 2013
kaswindell said:
I would agree with ajfotofilmagem, based on your criteria the 6D is the best fit.

+1

Doesn't sound like you will make use of the features where the 5DIII has advantages over the 6D, such as AF and flash sync speed. If that's correct, it seems to me the only reason for you to think about spending the extra money on a 5DIII is if you personally have a strong preference for its ergonomics.

Upvote 0
hmatthes said:
I'm an old EOS Film camera guy with a few older L 2.8 lenses -- and a 70D with many STM lenses.

I could hand hold my A2e/2.8L combos and get stellar results. Now the 70D/STM combos likewise give me stellar results. Hmmmmm... FF at 2.8 w/o IS seems to be just as good as 1.6x/STM in end results.

I want a FF body for landscape work that will give me slightly better image quality (shadow detail etc. w/o HDR)

5D3 and 6D prices are dropping very quickly. My 70D will do all the videos my family insists upon and it is great for sports (damned near everything else too!)

Making 24x36 canvas prints should not require a 5Ds/r -- it requires more than 16 meg but not 50...

Being on a budget, knowing that my FF purpose is landscapes, often low light, difficult manual focus...

What do I buy?

I'm putting my pennies by for the 6D, I've done a fair bit of reading around.

in your case I'd go with the 6D.

The 6DII will cost more.
The 6D has stella low light AF on it's single cross point.
The 6D has possibly the best ~20Mpix sensor in any canon at this time.

Alternative: the Sony A7R can beat the dynamic range at low ISO but you don't get a full RAW.. you can get a metabones adapter to put your canon lenses on it. Some seem to like it some are less convinced. There is the A7RII with full RAW, but it costs more of course.

Upvote 0
Dec 17, 2013
6D, and add the superfine focusing screen if you like to use old manual focus lenses on adapters. Otherwise, "live view" on tripod is unbeatable for precision manual focus with evaluation of depth of field. 6D also has outstanding low light function, probably a better sensor than on the 5D3, though the autofocus of the 6D is primitive.

I love my 6D, and I shoot landscapes and macro. Plus, it's lightweight, nice if you are hiking.

Upvote 0
The 6D is an outstanding landscape camera and terrific value now. I had a 5D3 that I recently sold when I bought a 5DsR. The 5D3 is an excellent all around camera but for landscape I think the 6D is preferable. In live view the 6D and 5D3 perform the same, and as somebody else pointed out, the 6D sensor handles noise somewhat better.

Upvote 0

FTb-n

Canonet QL17 GIII
Sep 22, 2012
St. Paul, MN
It could be a long wait and you would be paying top dollar for a newly released 6D2 or D4. It will be a longer wait if you want give it some time for the first tier of price drops.

If money is tight or you want the option of trading up to a newer model sometime in 2017, the 6D would be the logical choice. It does seem to meet your current needs.

However, the AF features of the 6D is a step backwards from your 70D and may leave you with a bit of buyer's remorse. I'd recommend the 5D3. You may not think you need the extra features of the 5D3, but I bet you will find a use for them. I also bet that your 70D will be relegated to video duty only (ok, maybe a second body if you shoot with two).

Upvote 0

hmatthes

FTb-n said:
However, the AF features of the 6D is a step backwards from your 70D and may leave you with a bit of buyer's remorse. I'd recommend the 5D3. You may not think you need the extra features of the 5D3, but I bet you will find a use for them. I also bet that your 70D will be relegated to video duty only (ok, maybe a second body if you shoot with two).

I think that the 5D3 is winning since I am spoiled by AF. While lots of my landscapes are on tripod with manual focus touchup, most are handheld and I utilize the collection of AF points on the 70D. The 70D would be the field camera, the 70D for family (i.e. Flash with external Speedlight) and video.

Thank you everyone, it's time for FF again!

Upvote 0
rfdesigner said:
Alternative: the Sony A7R can beat the dynamic range at low ISO but you don't get a full RAW.. you can get a metabones adapter to put your canon lenses on it. Some seem to like it some are less convinced. There is the A7RII with full RAW, but it costs more of course.
And then there's the A7 II with 24 mpix and (now) full raw with firmware 2.0

Upvote 0
hmatthes said:
FTb-n said:

I think that the 5D3 is winning since I am spoiled by AF. While lots of my landscapes are on tripod with manual focus touchup, most are handheld and I utilize the collection of AF points on the 70D. The 70D would be the field camera, the 70D for family (i.e. Flash with external Speedlight) and video.

Thank you everyone, it's time for FF again!

For landscape, the 6D's AF is not a problem, handheld or on a tripod using liveview. The 6D's AF is very accurate and repeatable for still or slowly moving subjects.

The 5D3 is definately a better all around camera and if you plan to shoot a lot of action or moving subjects, its worth the extra $1k.

Upvote 0
Dec 11, 2015
The cheapest way that would cover everything you need is a Sony A7 ($1000) + Metabones Mk4 adapter ($400). You'll get the EVF + zoom right in the EVF for precise focusing (works quite well in the dark) and 24Mpx with a good DR. The AF will be terrible and mostly unusable with the EF glass. The lossy RAW is not as bad as people say about it. The A7m2 will be around of $1700, better, usable AF due to OSPDAF support by the adapter (in a good light, still unusable in low light) and lossless (but uncompressed - huge files) RAW. You can buy a used A7r for a little over $1k as well, but you'll have to avoid certain shutter speeds (1/60-1/160) that may cause image degradation due to the camera vibrations if you shoot from a tripod (hand held it's ok, especially with a vertical grip attached). The A7r2 will give you an ultimate quality but it's hard to call it "budget" ($3200). You may get a gray-imported 5dsr for a little less.

If you go with any A7-series camera, you'll get 2 problems. The most important for a landscape shooter is the significant quality degradation at the corners while shooting wide (and especially ultra wide) angle lenses: loss of sharpness, CA, vignetting are MUCH worse (please google it to see some samples) compared to a DSLR. The reason is the short flange distance and the sensor microlens design. I shot the 11-24 f/4 on the A7r and the A7r2 and now on the 5dsr - the difference is tremendous. You won't need all the DR if the corners look like garbage :)

And the second problem is the whole Sony system is quite "RAW" :) I'm a Sony shooter converted to Canon (due to a lack of the native lenses at first, and then slow AF with Canon glass). One day I just realized that the 5dsr is the best adapter (not Metabones!) for the Sony A7r2 to shoot Canon lenses :) I was impressed on how everything is polished and "just works" in the Canon world. Sony doesn't even offer an RF triggered flash system, their F60M is a piece of junk that overheats after 20 shots.

So maybe just don't buy anything now, save the money and wait for the 5dmk4 that should be released the next year and supposedly have a better DR. I personally find DR of the 5dsr completely acceptable for my needs after switching from LR to C1. C1 works with Canon's CR2 way better than LR, the difference is very noticeable in everything - the shadows, noise, colors, etc... Not sure how they manage to achieve this kind of difference, but it is what it is :) Good luck with your choice!!!

Upvote 0

hmatthes

Jopa said:
I personally find DR of the 5dsr completely acceptable for my needs after switching from LR to C1. C1 works with Canon's CR2 way better than LR, the difference is very noticeable in everything - the shadows, noise, colors, etc... Not sure how they manage to achieve this kind of difference, but it is what it is :) Good luck with your choice!!!
I'm fairly new to the forum. I use LR exclusively but I am open to anything that expands my image success.
C1 -- what is that? I assume that it is not Canon's DPP under a different name!

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
hmatthes said:
Jopa said:
I personally find DR of the 5dsr completely acceptable for my needs after switching from LR to C1. C1 works with Canon's CR2 way better than LR, the difference is very noticeable in everything - the shadows, noise, colors, etc... Not sure how they manage to achieve this kind of difference, but it is what it is :) Good luck with your choice!!!
I'm fairly new to the forum. I use LR exclusively but I am open to anything that expands my image success.

Capture One https://www.phaseone.com/Products/Software/Capture-One-Pro/Highlights.aspx

Upvote 0

hmatthes

privatebydesign said:
hmatthes said:

Capture One https://www.phaseone.com/Products/Software/Capture-One-Pro/Highlights.aspx

Wow... I will do the 30 day trial to see if (1) I create better images and (2) my workflow improves.
Looks like I could still use LR to import & organize (I sync with iPad etc.) then export collections for full post-process.

Staying on topic... Maybe I can delay my FF purchase if C1 helps exploit the utilizing of details hidden in my 70D raw files...
Thank you!

Upvote 0
May 15, 2014
A 6D is half the price or $1k cheaper then a 5D3, however you want to look at it. If the 70D is meeting your needs for action, then you don't need the 5D3. As others have eluded to, the 6D actually has a newer, ever so slightly better sensor. The 6D and 70D compliment each other very well. Also they have essentially identical ergonomics, button layout.

A $1k isn't too much of an investment. Get the 6D now and don't wait for the 5D4 or 6D2. Could easily be a year before you see them and I'm guessing you'll be spending a minimum of $2k.

Upvote 0
Jopa said:
And the second problem is the whole Sony system is quite "RAW" :) I'm a Sony shooter converted to Canon (due to a lack of the native lenses at first, and then slow AF with Canon glass). One day I just realized that the 5dsr is the best adapter (not Metabones!) for the Sony A7r2 to shoot Canon lenses :) I was impressed on how everything is polished and "just works" in the Canon world. Sony doesn't even offer an RF triggered flash system, their F60M is a piece of junk that overheats after 20 shots.

Very well said. Even with the availability of more lenses, the Sony system and Sony support are no where near as good as Conon's. I use both, but not shooting flash.

I had Capture One for a while but felt it never kept up with Adobe, especially if I needed support. Interesting that you disagree.

Upvote 0