Multiple mentions put the Canon EOS R3 sensor resolution “around 24mp”

Aside from the fact that you were never the target market for this camera: would the R3 have radically changed your birding photography with 45mp at 30 fps instead of 45mp at 20 fps?

It'll have the ability to grab more of opportune moments at useable resolutions, so yes. It would definitely improve it. Dramatically so? Most of the time, maybe not, but during special circumstances/opprotunities? Hell yeah. As the R3 stands, it's a down grade in almost every circumstance

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
WTH are you talking about....

What are some AF issues besides it thinking faces are on inanimate objects? i was actually looking for a video about AF with an 1dxiii and R5
Since I didn't have the R5 back when others were already shooting, I wasn't monitoring R5 threads very much. My observations are in comparison to the 1DX2 , which I shot for a few years, primarily with spot AF.

With the R5 I've noticed poor focusing on items with little vertical definition but that's a rare issue. What is much more problematic is sometimes it just can't catch subjects having busy backgrounds and all I can say is the 1DX2 never had that problem . Others, such as AlanF have explained what they perceive is going on so it's pretty well established at this point.

I will not be going back and have the 1DX2 tentatively sold because overall for birds and wildlife the R5 is better, to a large extent due to animal eye AF. Since my big white has the focus memory ring I make sure I have prefocused if at all possible on something that is reasonably near my intended subject and that helps a lot.

I also shutter spot focus followed by back button eye AF which solves many focus issues. This is critically important or one will lose many shots and toggling between the two is instantaneous.

Jack

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 12, 2014
So basically, you’re suggesting that you know more about the ILC market than Canon does.

The number of forum dwellers who have a similar belief, despite decades of Canon leading the market, never ceases to amaze.

You’re absolutely correct that Canon is indifferent about you.
Nero, the camera market is changing as never before. Sony is the leader in mirrorless, not Canon. Market shares are now up for grabs, in a shrinking market. People will be selling DSLRs/lenses and deciding which mirrorless system in which to invest. Canon can not sit on past laurels.

Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
I have a good question. Are specialized cameras still relevant or needed? Should a flagship still be specialized or just have all the features of the cameras below it like a top car model or a high end computer model spec out. It does cost more so why or why not. So this concerns the alleged R1 and somewhat the R3 due to it supposedly costing more than any RF camera. Let me hear it (fan)boys! Are there any women on here though....

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Nero, the camera market is changing as never before. Sony is the leader in mirrorless, not Canon. Market shares are now up for grabs, in a shrinking market. People will be selling DSLRs/lenses and deciding which mirrorless system in which to invest. Canon can not sit on past laurels.
djck41, Sony is not the leader in mirrorless, Canon is. Sony is the leader in FF MILCs, but APS-C cameras far outsell FF, and the EOS M line is the best-selling MILC line in Japan, and I suspect that’s true globally.

Market share is always ‘up for grabs’ and people on this forum have been claiming for years that Canon will lose out to Sony or Nikon. That hasn’t happened.

What makes you think Canon is sitting on past laurels? Canon was the last major camera company to enter the MILC market (and many here claimed they were d00med because of that). Today, they sell more MILCs than any other manufacturer. Canon entered the FF MILC market 5 years after Sony (the latter a year after the Canon gorilla entered the APS-C MILC market…coincidence?), and are actively releasing lenses and bodies at multiple price levels. Consider this – if the rumor of a Canon FF MILC launching at a price of $800 comes true, how long do you think Sony will maintain their lead in the FF MILC segment? I'd give that about 6 months...

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Kiton

Too deep in Canon to list! :o
Jun 13, 2015
Interesting, thanks. You shoot sports professionally? I guess I had assumed that professionals usually were able to get close enough to not have to "crop the shit" (LOL) out of files. What sports do you shoot?

NHL, CFL, Tennis, MLS, Formula 1, etc

It isn't always about how close you can get, for the Stanley Cup finals I shot some games with a 200-400 and others with a 300 2.8. The 300 was perfect when I shot to the net on my left but too loose for the net on my right. Pix from that side required some pretty big crops. Hockey is so fast today, most often there is no time to put down the 300 2.8 and pick up another body with a 400 2.8! Same for Tennis, albeit to a lesser degree. At hostage takings, police stand offs etc, I shoot with a 100-400 and often crop out a small portion of the frame from those types of assignments.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
NHL, CFL, Tennis, MLS, Formula 1, etc

It isn't always about how close you can get, for the Stanley Cup finals I shot some games with a 200-400 and others with a 300 2.8. The 300 was perfect when I shot to the net on my left but too loose for the net on my right. Pix from that side required some pretty big crops. Hockey is so fast today, most often there is no time to put down the 300 2.8 and pick up another body with a 400 2.8! Same for Tennis, albeit to a lesser degree. At hostage takings, police stand offs etc, I shoot with a 100-400 and often crop out a small portion of the frame from those types of assignments.
It's commentaries like this that remind folk that cropping is a very useful tool and that the extra MPs can come in very handy! Sounds like a cool job!!

Jack

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jun 29, 2016
From the EXIF it looks like 24MP, bit disappointed to be honest, was hoping for closer to 30MP, I might have just bought one if it had! Canon just don't put big MP sensors in pro spec bodies anymore, because apparently it's only sport shooters that use them?
I must say this is kind of fishie to me, the photogepher of those pictures is Jeff Cable, however, on his own page there is no EXIF data on those pictures, and I don't think he, with his credibility, will mess up his NDA with Canon. So how those pictures "leaked"?

Upvote 0
For me it is important to have a large and heavy body with a built in battery grip. The R6 and R5 only have external battery grips that do not even align properly to the body.

Weren't the older sports bodies only limited in resolution to achive better fps? That limit seems to be gone with the new sensor design and faster cards.
Yes. I wanted one for the ergonomics. I find the R5/R6 poor in that regard. At 24 MP and a possible $6k price I'll stick with my 5D IV's and my 1Dx II and use the 5D's in Liveview when I need mirrorless type AF.

Upvote 0
The 1D APS-H family were actually very pixel-dense for their generations. The full-frame equivalent of the 1D4 would be 27MP, not bad for 2009 given that a decade later Canon still haven't achieved that in the 1DX line.
Good thought. That's probably why the 1Dx was such a huge jump in high ISO performance. But I remember the day I unboxed at 1Dx that I'd had the company buy and was shocked by the weight. Then it took me months to get used to how much less depth of field there was after years of APS-H bodies.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

FrenchFry

Wildlife enthusiast!
Jun 14, 2020
I must say this is kind of fishie to me, the photogepher of those pictures is Jeff Cable, however, on his own page there is no EXIF data on those pictures, and I don't think he, with his credibility, will mess up his NDA with Canon. So how those pictures "leaked"?
As of now, you can still see the EXIF data for photos posted on his site, including photos from a few days ago and photos from after the EXIF discussion started. See screenshots below.

I find it hard to believe (but not impossible), that someone like Jeff would be posting photos in such a way that his NDA would be violated, given how important it is for him to keep in Canon's good standing (Canon offers free gear rental to all who pay for his photo tours through a "sponsorship" program.).

These photos have been up for several days, the EXIF data has gotten a lot of attention, and Canon does not appear to have forced Jeff to remove them. He did have some text in his blog about the R3 that appears to have been removed, possibly at Canon's request, but so far we have no indication that Canon has any issues with these JPG photos and their EXIF appearing on his blog.

So, what does this mean? Does Canon no longer care about keeping the MP of the R3 a secret, after all their initial effort? Or is Canon just not worried that this EXIF data actually "confirms" anything?

The latter seems more likely to me.

We cannot confirm that the R3 is 24MP based on this EXIF information. All we can say is that the camera is capable of taking photos at 24MP with the pre-production firmware. Maybe more is available but not being used, or maybe more will be available in final firmware, or maybe this is the best the camera can do. Nothing is confirmed.

1627512386897.png1627513336387.png

Attachments

• 1627513071110.png
    1627513071110.png
    381 KB · Views: 57
Upvote 0

Kiton

Too deep in Canon to list! :o
Jun 13, 2015
It's commentaries like this that remind folk that cropping is a very useful tool and that the extra MPs can come in very handy! Sounds like a cool job!!

Jack

Thank you sir!
Yes, it is a very cool job. I have met and photographed many people who make boat loads more money than I, but I have yet to photography anyone who made me think, I wish I had done that in life instead!

I checked your web gallery, man there are a lot of really nice pictures! Well done. Congrats!

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jun 29, 2016
As of now, you can still see the EXIF data for photos posted on his site, including photos from a few days ago and photos from after the EXIF discussion started. See screenshots below.

I find it hard to believe (but not impossible), that someone like Jeff would be posting photos in such a way that his NDA would be violated, given how important it is for him to keep in Canon's good standing (Canon offers free gear rental to all who pay for his photo tours through a "sponsorship" program.).

These photos have been up for several days, the EXIF data has gotten a lot of attention, and Canon does not appear to have forced Jeff to remove them. He did have some text in his blog about the R3 that appears to have been removed, possibly at Canon's request, but so far we have no indication that Canon has any issues with these JPG photos and their EXIF appearing on his blog.

So, what does this mean? Does Canon no longer care about keeping the MP of the R3 a secret, after all their initial effort? Or is Canon just not worried that this EXIF data actually "confirms" anything?

The latter seems more likely to me.

We cannot confirm that the R3 is 24MP based on this EXIF information. All we can say is that the camera is capable of taking photos at 24MP with the pre-production firmware. Maybe more is available but not being used, or maybe more will be available in final firmware, or maybe this is the best the camera can do. Nothing is confirmed.

View attachment 199257View attachment 199261
Thanks, that confirm one thing: nothing is confirmed at this point. :)

Upvote 0
Aug 7, 2018
Maybe Canon has even asked Jeff Cable to publish photos with wrong EXIF data. They do not want their competitors to know the real resolution. That's an old strategy: If you can't prevent a leak, jut leak wrong information on your own. Then people do not know which leak is true.

By the way, the image is still on his blog, but does it still contain the EXIF data about the resolution? I downloaded it and uploaded it to several online EXIF viewers and none of them found resolution data. That could be a part of the strategy: Make it appear that the leak was an accident and quietly remove the data.

Upvote 0
Maybe Canon has even asked Jeff Cable to publish photos with wrong EXIF data. They do not want their competitors to know the real resolution. That's an old strategy: If you can't prevent a leak, jut leak wrong information on your own. Then people do not know which leak is true.

By the way, the image is still on his blog, but does it still contain the EXIF data about the resolution? I downloaded it and uploaded it to several online EXIF viewers and none of them found resolution data. That could be a part of the strategy: Make it appear that the leak was an accident and quietly remove the data.
Just checked his page, the EXIF is still on there. I doubt they'd go to that length to be honest, fair play if they have, but can't see it.

Upvote 0
Some websites don't show the metadata on images, depends how said site is built. Shit happens, I don't think there has been any notion to leak anything, it's just been about showing some images from a pre-production camera, and what it is capable of doing, they probably didn't even think anyone would look at the EXIF info. I'd say given the cameras speed and ISO performance, all roads lead to 24MP, I'd be more than happy to be wrong, and only time will tell, I'm sure they'll publish the full specs pretty soon, and despite some people looking for more resolution, I've no doubt for sports shooters, this will be a weapon.

Upvote 0
Jun 29, 2016
Some websites don't show the metadata on images, depends how said site is built. Shit happens, I don't think there has been any notion to leak anything, it's just been about showing some images from a pre-production camera, and what it is capable of doing, they probably didn't even think anyone would look at the EXIF info. I'd say given the cameras speed and ISO performance, all roads lead to 24MP, I'd be more than happy to be wrong, and only time will tell, I'm sure they'll publish the full specs pretty soon, and despite some people looking for more resolution, I've no doubt for sports shooters, this will be a weapon.
I don't mind it be 24MP or 30MP, having stack sensor with 30FPS is the min issue here, as my PC screen is about 6MP. But I still wonder how professional (and supported photographer who signed a NDA) would do such a "mistake" and no one in Canon (which sponsor him and give him free cameras and lenses - wish that was me) notice it. Canon learned a lot from Apple in generating a hype over their cameras and lenses (which is exciting), and I think that this "leak" is part of the hype generating. So all in all, we will need to wait for the official announcement. One thing that they don't talk about its if the R3 will ahve internal GPS or not.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Just checked his page, the EXIF is still on there. I doubt they'd go to that length to be honest, fair play if they have, but can't see it.
Everything I can see on blog.jeffcable.com has had its EXIF scrubbed, besides copyright:

$ exiftool jeff-cable-photography-blog-tokyo-olympics-Canon-CPS-0003.JPG ExifTool Version Number : 12.25 File Name : jeff-cable-photography-blog-tokyo-olympics-Canon-CPS-0003.JPG Directory : . File Size : 230 KiB File Modification Date/Time : 2021:07:29 19:32:20+02:00 File Access Date/Time : 2021:07:29 19:32:19+02:00 File Inode Change Date/Time : 2021:07:29 19:32:20+02:00 File Permissions : -rw-r--r-- File Type : JPEG File Type Extension : jpg MIME Type : image/jpeg JFIF Version : 1.01 Resolution Unit : inches X Resolution : 200 Y Resolution : 200 Exif Byte Order : Little-endian (Intel, II) Image Description : Canon CPS Behind the Scene Orientation : Horizontal (normal) Software : Google Artist : Jeff Cable Copyright : © Copyright - Jeff Cable Photography Exif Version : 0220 Exif Image Width : 1100 Exif Image Height : 734 Profile CMM Type : Adobe Systems Inc. Profile Version : 2.1.0 Profile Class : Display Device Profile Color Space Data : RGB Profile Connection Space : XYZ Profile Date Time : 1999:06:03 00:00:00 Profile File Signature : acsp Primary Platform : Apple Computer Inc. CMM Flags : Not Embedded, Independent Device Manufacturer : none Device Model : Device Attributes : Reflective, Glossy, Positive, Color Rendering Intent : Perceptual Connection Space Illuminant : 0.9642 1 0.82491 Profile Creator : Adobe Systems Inc. Profile ID : 0 Profile Copyright : Copyright 1999 Adobe Systems Incorporated Profile Description : Adobe RGB (1998) Media White Point : 0.95045 1 1.08905 Media Black Point : 0 0 0 Red Tone Reproduction Curve : (Binary data 14 bytes, use -b option to extract) Green Tone Reproduction Curve : (Binary data 14 bytes, use -b option to extract) Blue Tone Reproduction Curve : (Binary data 14 bytes, use -b option to extract) Red Matrix Column : 0.60974 0.31111 0.01947 Green Matrix Column : 0.20528 0.62567 0.06087 Blue Matrix Column : 0.14919 0.06322 0.74457 Image Width : 1100 Image Height : 734 Encoding Process : Baseline DCT, Huffman coding Bits Per Sample : 8 Color Components : 3 Y Cb Cr Sub Sampling : YCbCr4:4:4 (1 1) Image Size : 1100x734 Megapixels : 0.807 My File Number : jeff-cable-photography-blog-tokyo-olympics-Canon-CPS-0003.JPG MBP:foto koen$

Upvote 0

FrenchFry

Wildlife enthusiast!
Jun 14, 2020
Everything I can see on blog.jeffcable.com has had its EXIF scrubbed, besides copyright:

$ exiftool jeff-cable-photography-blog-tokyo-olympics-Canon-CPS-0003.JPG ExifTool Version Number : 12.25 File Name : jeff-cable-photography-blog-tokyo-olympics-Canon-CPS-0003.JPG Directory : . File Size : 230 KiB File Modification Date/Time : 2021:07:29 19:32:20+02:00 File Access Date/Time : 2021:07:29 19:32:19+02:00 File Inode Change Date/Time : 2021:07:29 19:32:20+02:00 File Permissions : -rw-r--r-- File Type : JPEG File Type Extension : jpg MIME Type : image/jpeg JFIF Version : 1.01 Resolution Unit : inches X Resolution : 200 Y Resolution : 200 Exif Byte Order : Little-endian (Intel, II) Image Description : Canon CPS Behind the Scene Orientation : Horizontal (normal) Software : Google Artist : Jeff Cable Copyright : © Copyright - Jeff Cable Photography Exif Version : 0220 Exif Image Width : 1100 Exif Image Height : 734 Profile CMM Type : Adobe Systems Inc. Profile Version : 2.1.0 Profile Class : Display Device Profile Color Space Data : RGB Profile Connection Space : XYZ Profile Date Time : 1999:06:03 00:00:00 Profile File Signature : acsp Primary Platform : Apple Computer Inc. CMM Flags : Not Embedded, Independent Device Manufacturer : none Device Model : Device Attributes : Reflective, Glossy, Positive, Color Rendering Intent : Perceptual Connection Space Illuminant : 0.9642 1 0.82491 Profile Creator : Adobe Systems Inc. Profile ID : 0 Profile Copyright : Copyright 1999 Adobe Systems Incorporated Profile Description : Adobe RGB (1998) Media White Point : 0.95045 1 1.08905 Media Black Point : 0 0 0 Red Tone Reproduction Curve : (Binary data 14 bytes, use -b option to extract) Green Tone Reproduction Curve : (Binary data 14 bytes, use -b option to extract) Blue Tone Reproduction Curve : (Binary data 14 bytes, use -b option to extract) Red Matrix Column : 0.60974 0.31111 0.01947 Green Matrix Column : 0.20528 0.62567 0.06087 Blue Matrix Column : 0.14919 0.06322 0.74457 Image Width : 1100 Image Height : 734 Encoding Process : Baseline DCT, Huffman coding Bits Per Sample : 8 Color Components : 3 Y Cb Cr Sub Sampling : YCbCr4:4:4 (1 1) Image Size : 1100x734 Megapixels : 0.807 My File Number : jeff-cable-photography-blog-tokyo-olympics-Canon-CPS-0003.JPG MBP:foto koen$
You can try using the Exif viewer pro plugin for Chrome. EXIF is there on every image.

If you are looking at the images in this post, they are taken with the iPhone 12:

The latest water polo shots are pretty much all R3.
1627580364327.png

Upvote 0