Multiple RAW image resolutions coming to the Canon EOS R5 Mark II?

twoheadedboy

EOS R5
CR Pro
Jan 3, 2018
Sturtevant, WI
Why be rude, man? And CR45 if it's "not that hard" why have a CR243223 for this at all? What's wrong with CR234124123413?
You attacked the article writer for something that was ultimately your personal confusion about conventions here. You were the one that was rude.

"Anyone remember what "[CR3] level confirmation" means? Anyone know why he doesn't just switch to English and say what this spy-talk actually means?"

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Nov 3, 2012
But in terms of hiking, one RF 24-105 would take less space in the backpack and provide a wider focal range with no need for cropping.
Yes it would but... My first RF24-105/4L became soft on the left side that I noticed after a wedding. I can only think of a low drop onto grass. The IS unit needed to be replaced which wasn't economic. The replacement just wasn't crisp so I sold it. Very disappointed after my EF 24-105/4L, which was a much loved and used lens, and my EF 28-135 from film days.
Sure, a zoom is more flexible and a little lighter than two primes, but I mostly shoot at 24mm, with some at 100mm. The 85mm is stunningly sharp, even wide open, and the central 2/3 of the 24mm is sharp from f/2 (better than an RF 35/1.8) and the corners are okay from f/5.6. Plus I like softening the backgrounds at wide apertures and occasionally use the "macro" function.

Upvote 0
I shot CRaw on my 20 MP R6 - great for events where you shoot lots of relatively low res images. I would shoot 20 MP (or thereabouts) in CRaw if my R5 gave me the option. I have never needed more than 20 MP for events (and that even allows for some (limited) cropping), and so anything more simply consumes more space on my card or HDD. I'm not saying the R5ii should be 20 MP, but a 20 MP (or thereabouts) option would be great.
If you double the MP, you double the file size (all things being equal) but you only increase the linear resolution by 1.4 times.
Sounds like the R6 is perfect for your needs. I regularly crop and sometimes heavily when I can't change lenses so the R5 is great for me. I can't see situations where 60+mp would be as useful as the 5Div's 30mp to the R5's 45mp has been. The raw file sizes are 50-60MB but my PC is fast enough with sufficient storage to handle them so I haven't felt the need to shoot cRaw except once when I was running out of card storage at an event. Large video files works my PC moreso as I am playing them them more frequently now.

Why would a 20mp file from a R5ii be more useful than a native resolution? If file size isn't the issue then the only question is what resolution you are exporting to.

Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
Correct. If you go to the EOS R and EOS DSLR forum pages and sort by number of replies, 5-series threads top the lists. Certainly 5-series bodies outsell 1-series bodies (and the R3) by a wide margin. most likely that's primarily about cost.
True :)
Though I think its not only the price, but also the significant higher resolution, which makes (in my opinion) the 5 series usually the camera thats more of a workhorse for any kind of situation, while the 1 series is (far) better suited for sports and reportage, where Speed is the ultimate goal. Not saying you cant shooting fashion or wedding with a 1DX (I did both), but the 5 is more at home in this areas.
Currently, for me this even applies to the R3 and the R5. I have 2 R5 bodies - and I would not change it for a R3, even if the price was the same. The higher resolution alone is reason for me to stick to the R5.
So in general, I think the 5 series is the "more important" camera in the industrie :)

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
True :)
Though I think its not only the price, but also the significant higher resolution, which makes (in my opinion) the 5 series usually the camera thats more of a workhorse for any kind of situation, while the 1 series is (far) better suited for sports and reportage, where Speed is the ultimate goal. Not saying you cant shooting fashion or wedding with a 1DX (I did both), but the 5 is more at home in this areas.
Currently, for me this even applies to the R3 and the R5. I have 2 R5 bodies - and I would not change it for a R3, even if the price was the same. The higher resolution alone is reason for me to stick to the R5.
So in general, I think the 5 series is the "more important" camera in the industrie :)
The R6 outsells the R5. APS-C bodies strongly outsell FF bodies. What’s important to you is not necessarily what’s ‘more important’ to the industry.

Upvote 0

twoheadedboy

EOS R5
CR Pro
Jan 3, 2018
Sturtevant, WI
And what part do you think was an attack?
The part where you attacked them for speaking in a coded language you don't understand. Maybe you have multiple people creating posts from your account and don't know what you're wrote, but I can't explain it any better than I already have...the words you wrote, the words I quoted, were a direct attack/criticism of the person who created the original post and the words/style they chose in writing it.

Upvote 0

SwissFrank

1N 3 1V 1Ds I II III R R5
Dec 9, 2018
The part where you attacked them for speaking in a coded language you don't understand.
There was no such part. Tell me what part you mistakenly thought was an attack and I will set you straight on that. I mean, if I actually attacked him, he'd just block me. I don't think he saw my comments as an attack, they weren't meant as an attack, and it only seems to be you who thinks it was an attack. Just maybe you should accept that you're wrong in impugning my motivation and goal as to be an attack, and just let it rest? If you keep pestering me for this, would that pestering not constitute an attack?

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

twoheadedboy

EOS R5
CR Pro
Jan 3, 2018
Sturtevant, WI
There was no such part. Tell me what part you mistakenly thought was an attack and I will set you straight on that. I mean, if I actually attacked him, he'd just block me. I don't think he saw my comments as an attack, they weren't meant as an attack, and it only seems to be you who thinks it was an attack. Just maybe you should accept that you're wrong in impugning my motivation and goal as to be an attack, and just let it rest? If you keep pestering me for this, would that pestering not constitute an attack?
Your exact words - "Anyone know why he doesn't just switch to English and say what this spy-talk actually means?"

I'm beginning to suspect that you are on the spectrum (I don't mean this to attack you), and I'm sorry if that's the case. But what I quoted there, which you apparently do not view as an attack, was an attack. "why doesn't he switch to English" - you are suggesting that his choice of words are purposefully obtuse to the point of being broadly confusining to his audience; "what this spy-talk actually means" - you are suggesting his word choice is ridiculous and worthy of mockery. If you don't agree with these assertions about what you are trying to communicate, then its *your* word choices which are poor. It is very common for folks on the spectrum to be oblivious to this, which is why I suggested it.

Upvote 0

SwissFrank

1N 3 1V 1Ds I II III R R5
Dec 9, 2018
Your exact words - "Anyone know why he doesn't just switch to English and say what this spy-talk actually means?"

I'm beginning to suspect that you are on the spectrum (I don't mean this to attack you), and I'm sorry if that's the case. But what I quoted there, which you apparently do not view as an attack, was an attack. "why doesn't he switch to English" - you are suggesting that his choice of words are purposefully obtuse to the point of being broadly confusining to his audience; "what this spy-talk actually means" - you are suggesting his word choice is ridiculous and worthy of mockery. If you don't agree with these assertions about what you are trying to communicate, then its *your* word choices which are poor. It is very common for folks on the spectrum to be oblivious to this, which is why I suggested it.
I don't know why you keep harping on it, so utterly certain it's an attack, bending over backwards to put the worst possible interpretation. Why are you vexxing me like this? Just leave me alone.

Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2020

SwissFrank has made it crystal clear - he did not mean his words to be an attack. He said so in plain simple English. Get over it because it is becoming obvious that you are the one attacking now. And "diagnosing" someone? - who gives the right to do that? That is RUDE beyond anything SwissFrank said by far.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

twoheadedboy

EOS R5
CR Pro
Jan 3, 2018
Sturtevant, WI
I don't know why you keep harping on it, so utterly certain it's an attack, bending over backwards to put the worst possible interpretation. Why are you vexxing me like this? Just leave me alone.
You don't want to be left alone, else you would stop responding. You just don't want to be called out for acting like a jerk and have run out of arguments and ability to ignore the issue at hand - if I am truly misconstruing your intent, you would apologize for not making your intent unclear, and explain what that intent was (if not attacking). Instead, you went DARVO. Regardless, this will be my last response on the issue, because I have already laid bare your supposed inability to understand how someone could perceive your comment as an attack (I only "bent over backwards" in attempt to help you understand, since you claimed not to), a long time ago.

• Wow
Upvote 0

twoheadedboy

EOS R5
CR Pro
Jan 3, 2018
Sturtevant, WI
SwissFrank has made it crystal clear - he did not mean his words to be an attack. He said so in plain simple English. Get over it because it is becoming obvious that you are the one attacking now. And "diagnosing" someone? - who gives the right to do that? That is RUDE beyond anything SwissFrank said by far.
I didn't "diagnose" anyone, I raised a question because his failure to understand what I was saying, after explaining it multiple ways, was truly perplexing; he is clearly not illiterate, yet (if responding honestly) seemingly unable to understand how his words could be perceived differently than his intent (which he didn't explain). When a neurodovergence is involved, it frames debates like these in a completely different way.

But outside of that, him saying it's not an attack does not make it so. It really wasn't a big deal until he repeatedly refused to acknowledge it or give up - I was responding to his questions after the 1st. I've said my piece and I'm done, but it's important to call out negative behaviors in public settings, because people don't deserve to be ridiculed when they are putting out a creative product that is essentially a long-running passion project.

• Wow
Upvote 0