Multiple RAW image resolutions coming to the Canon EOS R5 Mark II?

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
We continue to receive bits and pieces of information regarding the Canon EOS R5 Mark II. Unfortunately, there has been a lot of contradicting information, so we are sitting on a lot of it for the moment. We have repeatedly been told that the Canon EOS R5 Mark II will get a resolution bump up

See full article...

bbasiaga

Canon Shooter
Nov 15, 2011
USA
That could be helpful. 36mp and 60mp options make it great for sports/high speed shooting and portraits and landscapes where the resolution is not a hinderance to speed or processing times.

I'm also hoping for a big improvement in rolling shutter. Might be the last camera I ever need if the rolling shutter is practically gone for sports use.

-Brian

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

SwissFrank

1N 3 1V 1Ds I II III R R5
Dec 9, 2018
> We hope to hear more about this and other information in regards to what will surely be the biggest Canon camera launch in 2024 (apologies to the EOS R1).

You probably know better than I do but I am positive the R1 will be earth-shattering in several ways that makes us forget all about the R5 Mk II. This site shared a patent 3-4 years ago detailing a new sensor that would have "global shutter", electronic ND, and double-dynamic range modes, for instance. Combine that with eye-controlled focus that works yet better and perhaps AI tuned to work for all Olympic sports, and no-one's going to be talking about the R5MkII.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

twoheadedboy

EOS R5
CR Pro
Jan 3, 2018
Sturtevant, WI
>
We do not have [CR3] level confirmation on the 60mp rumors, so please keep that in mind.

Anyone remember what "[CR3] level confirmation" means? Anyone know why he doesn't just switch to English and say what this spy-talk actually means?
CR3 can be considered to be on the level of a pre-announcement "scoop". It is very certain to happen, if not a 100% official "lock".

CR1 is generally some level of plausibility (because of what it is, or the source) but nothing corroborated.

CR2 is somewhere in the middle.

This really isn't that hard if you just pay attention.

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
I just appreciate that info is trickling out which means the camera must be moving forward reasonably well toward a release date.

Having multiple resolutions would be a treat for a lot of people I think. I just pray that it doesn’t become the new “oh no I was shooting jpg the whole time?!”
Understand!
But even if you shoot at, say, 18MP, results will be more than acceptable.

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
A silly question: at 60 MP, pixelpitch is approximately 3,76 microns. If you set the camera on 36 MP, this pixel size shouldn't change. Right? I know of course that pixel-size cannot change. So, does it mean several pixels will be "united" to form a larger one, otherwise there might be a gap between the "used"pixels.
This also could mean the camera should be used like a 60 MP when selecting the shutter speed, in order to prevent shake. Correct?
PS: I warned you this would be a silly question!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
> We hope to hear more about this and other information in regards to what will surely be the biggest Canon camera launch in 2024 (apologies to the EOS R1).

You probably know better than I do but I am positive the R1 will be earth-shattering in several ways that makes us forget all about the R5 Mk II. This site shared a patent 3-4 years ago detailing a new sensor that would have "global shutter", electronic ND, and double-dynamic range modes, for instance. Combine that with eye-controlled focus that works yet better and perhaps AI tuned to work for all Olympic sports, and no-one's going to be talking about the R5MkII.
Hard to tell. In the past the 5 series was the more discussed series over the 1 series. Simply because some things speak to more people:
- about half the price.
- about half the sice and weight
- about twice the resolution

The 1 series is certainly the more impressive product line, but usualy its bought and discussed way less. At least in the past...
Even some massive upgrades like a global shutter is likely to not make the R1 a better seller than the R5, given the (to be expected) big price difference to a R5 body...

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
This reads like the return of MRAW and SRAW of the old days where you could shoot in RAW with reduced resolution, e.g for the 1D Mark 4:
  • Raw 16M 4,896 x 3,264
  • MRaw 9.0M 3,672 x 2,448
  • SRaw 4.0M 2,448 x 1,632
The results were pretty ugly though. The 5DsR images had various colour casts when comparing like for like mRaw sizes for the same settings and scene. Hopefully it'll be true pixel binning and not in camera manipulation affecting the bit depth.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Hard to tell. In the past the 5 series was the more discussed series over the 1 series. Simply because some things speak to more people:
- about half the price.
- about half the sice and weight
- about twice the resolution

The 1 series is certainly the more impressive product line, but usualy its bought and discussed way less. At least in the past...
Even some massive upgrades like a global shutter is likely to not make the R1 a better seller than the R5, given the (to be expected) big price difference to a R5 body...
Correct. If you go to the EOS R and EOS DSLR forum pages and sort by number of replies, 5-series threads top the lists. Certainly 5-series bodies outsell 1-series bodies (and the R3) by a wide margin. most likely that's primarily about cost.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Understand!
But even if you shoot at, say, 18MP, results will be more than acceptable.
I think that very much depends on use case - my biggest need from a new body is more resolution so if I was shooting at 18 I'd be pretty upset with myself. I could see myself using a lower resolution for family stuff or timelapses, but for the bulk of what I usually shoot, more resolution is better.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
One of my biggest complaints with the R5 is the inability to have to make smaller RAW files. Here certain photo agencies have you transmit RAW images live from events and between the file size and the strain on the cellular networks at events it can be soo slow to transmit. Would be a welcome addition.
C-raw

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0