My EOS R doesn’t overheat. Why buy the new cameras?

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
I use a EOS R for wedding videography and it’s great. It has ZERO “modes” where it overheats. Please tell me why the R5 and R6 are better...

This is kind of a backward way to ask the question. It doesn't allow for the possibility that the R5 might be able to do anything your R can do, without overheating either. In other words, it might only overheat on some of the modes the R does not offer you.

Does any mode the EOS R offers, overheat on the R5? If the answer is no, then the R5 would not leave you worse off than your R. And it might give you something the R does not, either with or without a heat-induced time limit.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
I use a EOS R for wedding videography and it’s great. It has ZERO “modes” where it overheats. Please tell me why the R5 and R6 are better...
my box brownie doesn't overheat in any conditions whatsoever. Why should I get an Eos R

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
Mar 26, 2014
I think convincing you to upgrade cameras is Canon sales department's job. If you said what you'd like to do the R doesn't allow you, people could give you meaningful replies.

There's an old joke about a banker who went to a doctor, the doctor asked what brings him to his office today, and the banker says "my crotch hurts when I do this" and performs a perfect split leap.

The R5 overheats when it does some things the R doesn't, and which you've shown no interest in. So why won't you just keep on not doing those things, just with an R5? It would gain you 50% more pixels and a 2nd memory slot.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
I have a R, its great, but there are features in the R5 I'd like. Focus Bracketing. f/22 autofocus, 5GHZ fast wi-fi, better evf, better fit in my large hand, and several more. But, if I sold my R, I would still cost me another ~$2500 plus new cards and likely a bunch of new accessories like new grip.

I also have to consider that I can't go out to do a lot of photography right now, we are stuck in Stage 2 here in Spokane.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017

If all you do with your EOS-R is shoot wedding video and it does what you need it to do then I would argue that you don't need an R5.

I can give a list of reasons the R6 and R5 are better than the EOS-R (and I own an EOS-R) that would overload the server but as an "I only shoot wedding video" guy they wouldn't matter to you.

Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2019
I own the EOS R and the RP the upgrade was obvious to me.

Reasons why the R5 is an upgrade listed in order of importance to ME:

1. 12FPS Mechanical Shutter 20FPS Electronic - R was never fast enough
  2. Full Frame 4K - My 15-35 is once again a 15-35. If the Non HQ 4K is the same or better than the R's "soft" 4K that is a big upgrade.
  3. 1.6x Crop 5.1k oversampled 4k in 30/24P - I expect this will be a big upgrade of the perceived Sharpness of the 4K - THIS SHOULD NOT BE OVER LOOKED AS AN R SHOOTER "LESS CROP/MORE AWESOME" - For users that are use to dealing with the crop on the R this will be a new default that will give better quality footage.
  4. Increased build Quality - The R is good but never as solid as the MKIV
  5. 45MP - My default for Killer shots is to get LARGE Aluminium prints - 30MP is good 45MP is better:)
  6. Improved AF - The AF tracking I am seen looks world class.
  7. Animal AF - Sharp Cat Videos are a must:)
  8. IBIS - Hope my tripod forgives me
  9. 8K Sledgehammer - The Finishing move for when you want to compromise nothing in a clip and warm your lunch after:)
That is my reason but people have to have there own reasons to spend the money for what is in my mind a clear upgrade.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I appreciate the replies. I’ve got money saved up and I’m looking for a new second camera before the next wedding in November. I need a reliable camera because during the ceremony and the reception I will be running one of the cameras on a tripod for around 30 min.
If I buy an R6 there are ZERO 4K modes where it doesn’t overheat and on the R5, I have to be careful to put it in the correct 4K mode or I’ll have the same problem.
In these Run and Gun wedding situations sometimes minor Errors can happen that can become huge problems. With the EOS R I have ZERO worries that my video will be ruined by overheating.
In short: I’m disappointed in the new cameras since they don’t fit my specific needs. I came home late and made this lame thread and didn’t realize I clicked “SUBMIT” until I came back to this site. Thanks again everyone for your replies and insight.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
I appreciate the replies. I’ve got money saved up and I’m looking for a new second camera before the next wedding in November. I need a reliable camera because during the ceremony and the reception I will be running one of the cameras on a tripod for around 30 min.
If I buy an R6 there are ZERO 4K modes where it doesn’t overheat and on the R5, I have to be careful to put it in the correct 4K mode or I’ll have the same problem.
In these Run and Gun wedding situations sometimes minor Errors can happen that can become huge problems. With the EOS R I have ZERO worries that my video will be ruined by overheating.
In short: I’m disappointed in the new cameras since they don’t fit my specific needs. I came home late and made this lame thread and didn’t realize I clicked “SUBMIT” until I came back to this site. Thanks again everyone for your replies and insight.
They don't meet your needs because you do nothing but video and these are stills cameras. The obvious solution is to get a actual video camera. Then you will have lots of features needed for professional video and not on a stills camera. I'd think about doing that rather than trying to make a stills camera work.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Regarding the r vs R5
1: The non HQ video modes are better than the R.
2: The HQ modes are much better than the R.
3: FPS for bouquet toss, first kiss, first dance.
4: Eye AF is much better than the R, it would give you plenty more keepers which leads to more client and book layout options.
5: Capacity to crop makes framing easier, it also means less times moments are lost to lens changes.
I could go on but if you don't see the improvements of the R5 over the R then all power to you.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
The R5 and R6 are 100% reliable and considerably more capable at higher quality than your R.

To say you are disappointed by the product you are offered because you might set a setting wrong is laughable when you consider the multitude of other things that you could do wrong. But even given that just set your preferred video settings to a C mode and you are done it will never overheat, see, it does fit your specific need.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0