My own personal curse of the EF 200mm f1.8

Nov 12, 2016
Five years ago I found a good deal on a 200mm f1.8 lens, and despite still being expensive, I decided to go for it. It showed up from Japan in a frighteningly undersized box. And sure enough, the front flange of the lens got impacted and bent in during shipping. So I had to send it back.

Fast forward to today, I finally saw another one pop up within my price range, and I jumped on it. The lens arrived safely, cosmetically it looks great, better than most of these lenses do at this age. Buuuuut, the photos it takes are just no good. Here's a comparison of this lens with my EF 70-200 f2.8 II. Both photos at 2.8. Unfortunately it's clear that something is really, really wrong with this lens. :cry:

I am very close to Midwest Camera Repair. What are the chances this is fixable? Or, should I play it safe and just send the lens back. These things are so rare and so expensive, it seems that I'm cursed to never actually be able to get one to keep, despite my best attempts.

Attachments

• _R5_2797.jpg
    _R5_2797.jpg
    536.7 KB · Views: 11
  • _R5_2798.jpg
    _R5_2798.jpg
    765.4 KB · Views: 11

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Five years ago I found a good deal on a 200mm f1.8 lens, and despite still being expensive, I decided to go for it. It showed up from Japan in a frighteningly undersized box. And sure enough, the front flange of the lens got impacted and bent in during shipping. So I had to send it back.

Fast forward to today, I finally saw another one pop up within my price range, and I jumped on it. The lens arrived safely, cosmetically it looks great, better than most of these lenses do at this age. Buuuuut, the photos it takes are just no good. Here's a comparison of this lens with my EF 70-200 f2.8 II. Both photos at 2.8. Unfortunately it's clear that something is really, really wrong with this lens. :cry:

I am very close to Midwest Camera Repair. What are the chances this is fixable? Or, should I play it safe and just send the lens back. These things are so rare and so expensive, it seems that I'm cursed to never actually be able to get one to keep, despite my best attempts.
Have you checked its AFMA? It might just need a serious + or - that will correct it?

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
…I finally saw another one pop up within my price range…
These things are so rare and so expensive, it seems that I'm cursed to never actually be able to get one to keep, despite my best attempts.
Apologies for the cynicism, but I suppose you’ve considered the possibility that the few lenses in your price range are there for a reason.

Upvote 0

AUGS

CR Pro
Feb 13, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Upvote 0
Nov 12, 2016
Before you send this back, and I'm sure you would have considered it, but are you working inside the minimum focus distance in those test shots?
From TDP: https://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-200mm-f-1.8-L-USM-Lens-Review.aspx
"Obviously, 2.5m (8.2') is this lens' MFD (Minimum Focus Distance) - a rather long distance for this focal length. MM (Maximum Magnification) is therefore low."
Naw, it takes the same kind of soft photos at any distance. Besides, the camera should have said that it couldn't find focus if it was shorter than the MFD, not locked on focus the way it did.

Upvote 0