My R6 failed during an interview this afternoon.

Aug 27, 2019
Was in the middle of interviewing a candidate today when my R6 image (using as a webcam) started to shake like there was an earth quake. The Camera made some nasty noises and displayed Err 20.

The IBIS system is shot for sure and feels like someone is rattling rocks inside the Camera when you flip it on. Tried a reset for shits and giggles but still borked. Switched over to the R5 for the rest of the interview so nice it was handy.

Sent in a request to CPS to get a loaner and will ship the Camera off to them on Monday. I am on the west coast and CPS Canada is out east so they were gone for the day.

Shit happens just happy it broke now while it is under warranty and not when I was on a trip.

For those interested the Camera has not been doing a lot of heavy lift with only about 1500 shots taken since Nov 2020 and maybe 5 hours of video. Was likely doomed when it was built because that is pretty low usage and I have not seen any similar reports.

Again shit happens and nothing is perfect, if it is going to pack it in do it early and all the way. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: 1 users

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
The science of failure rates predicts peaks at early and late use periods.

View attachment 196394
A/K/A the bathtub curve...since I usually see it with a very steep left end, a flat (but very gradually sloping upwards) middle section that could even be thirty years long depending on the product, then a steeper (but not as steep as the left side) right hand side...exactly the profile of a bathtub with the drain on the left.

Yours looks more like a basin. :D

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
A/K/A the bathtub curve...since I usually see it with a very steep left end, a flat (but very gradually sloping upwards) middle section that could even be thirty years long depending on the product, then a steeper (but not as steep as the left side) right hand side...exactly the profile of a bathtub with the drain on the left.

Yours looks more like a basin. :D

Surely just a question of scale? :D

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Surely just a question of scale? :D

No matter how much you widen yours it will have a curved bottom. Well if you make it three miles wide, I suppose you can't tell, but then the ends won't look terribly steep. But what if you only stretch the middle portion?

The general idea remains the same. I suspect the flat bottom applies more, the longer lived the item is expected to be. The round bottom would be the typical "planned obsolescence" item while a full blown bathtub flat bottom could be for things like airliners.

Where quality really, really is vital (like airliners) they try to get through the left hand side at the factory (and this adds greatly to the price). (My prof called it "burn in" rather than "infant mortality" but both are good terms depending on context.) And with airliners and the like frequent inspections are intended to catch things before the right hand upslope hits.

Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2019
Damn sorry to hear about that! Good that you still have a positive attitude about it haha
Yeah I broke my own rule with the R6.

I really use things when new on purpose.
  • My R5 had hours of video and 5000 shots in the first month of owning it.
  • When we bought our Range Rover Velar we took it on a 3000km road trip the second day we had it and have not had an issue in 80000km
  • When I build a new PC I torture test it for days.
The pandemic and the my new R5 really had the R6 slotted in the on deck spot and I did not use it enough early on to see if it was a dud.

I work as a Test Engineer for Motorola Solutions\Avigilon and we work really hard to have zero failures but things break. The R6 will either be fixed or replaced and this time I will really put it through the paces so I know I can trust it.

Oh and I have tried to find other instance of the Err 20 and rattling\vibrating ibis in the R5 or R6 and have no luck on the Canon side but the other manufactures that have been doing ibis for longer have some reports.

I think I won the malfunction jackpot with the R6:unsure::D

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Failed R6 IBIS in action.:eek:

View attachment 196395
Wow, that looks violent. Those IBIS motors have some torque!

+1 for torture testing your devices. I also got sloppy when recently upgrading my PC and now I'm forced to swap between components to isolate an issue that popped up, since I didn't run enough checks at the time I installed them.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2019
Camera was sent off to CPS Canada this morning, should be there tomorrow morning. I do like the complimentary priority shipping of CPS Platinum.

Once I find out what failed I will update this thread. Hoping 4 days max since that is the service standard, but worried that the parts might be pretty hard to come by.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0