need help deciding:To canon or not to canon

NWPhil

one eye; one shot - multiple misses
Oct 4, 2011
Going nuts here with choosing a compact digital to replace current lumix lx3...and need some help with so many options available.

What I am looking for:
lens - prefer zoom at least 24mm to 100mm or so, f/2 or less, but 2.8 would do ( I like WA and UWA, but rather not to play with attachments). Compact with interchangeable or fixed lens is not much of an issue
movie format - not an item I care much, as seldom used
high iso with low noise - a plus, but would be happy with a solid 3200/6400
sensor- 12mb would be enough as long it as long it has good IQ
format - will shot mostly raw
viewfinder - can live with or without one, but swivel/tilt lcd would be just a plus
Manual focus - switch or one touch, meaning not too much fuss to get it
Macro - how close can one get without bumping into it? 2-3 inches? and easy UI, as not willing to go get the function deep into the UI menu
size - smaller than dslr
battery life - at least 300 shots (would be a camera to take out in camping trips, weekend trips - usb only charging is not doable for me)
flash - hot shoe a plus, but can have onboard
price range - don't mind to buy used or new as long as below 1K

What I have been looking at:
Sony: A6000; nexus nx-6 w/16-50mm
Panasonic: Lx7; GM1K w/12-32mm; ZS40
Fuji: XE2 w/16-50mm
Canon: G15; G16; G1x; G1Xmk2 - and even EOS M, but the upcoming M3? could be big factor due having already a good range of EF lenses

What I am thinking currently:
Canon as a preference due to familiar interface- really like the G series.
Sony has the big plus of having the metabones adapter, with renders EF lenses very useable, but bumps the cost quite a bit.
Panasonic has a familiar interface, but not that great iso/NR
Fuji is unknown to me

ultimately is my own decision, but I am really struggling with options, and finding one that hitsmost of what I need/want

Thanks for you input
Phil

NWPhil

Oct 4, 2011
Sella174 said:
Add weather-sealing, which for me means being able to use the camera in pouring rain, to the list of criteria and I also am interested in the recommendations.

as a matter of fact, I am considering that too, as Olympus is coming up witha new model TG-850.
Not par with some compacts, but it's getting better
So the Olympus TG-850 is now up for consideration too, and not so much the Tg-2 iHS
Still not impressed with the Pental series...
Then there is:
Olympus E-PL5 and E-P5

(I understand that some of the choices listed are not available yet, thus making it impossible to give a hands-on experience/feedback, but anything is better than nothing ... :(

Upvote 0
Feb 26, 2012
AB
I see you've at least considered Fuji, that's good. :) The xe2 is a really nice camera, I wish it had a tilting display tho.
However, if you can do without the very nice EVF, the X-A1 and X-M1 with 16-50mm are also really good options for $500-600 and they do deliver clean 3200 and 6400 right out of camera.
small, light, tilting screen, x-mount if you ever want to add glass
the menu interface is different but easy enough to figure out in a short while and there's a surprising lot of useful functionality you can customize
I like mine, and am looking forward to my X-T1, with this video only adding to the urgency.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=nW8Cz_v3w1E

Upvote 0

Sella174

So there!
Mar 19, 2013
Suid-Afrika
Aglet said:
I like mine, and am looking forward to my X-T1 ...

Options for me are really leaning towards the Sony A7, the Olympus E-M1 and the Fujifilm X-T1 ... as they're all priced basically the same where I park it ... and small enough to carry around. Add a nice prime, weather-sealed of course, and I'm good to go. Only, there are no weather-sealed primes for these camera, or are there?

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
hi Phil!

To confuse you a little bit more (sorry :-[ ) :
Ever thought of Olympus OM-D or PEN system cameras with MFT?
If I was to choose today (without all my Canon glass), I would take those seriously into account.
pros:
good, compact system
good but not cheap lenses + third party like pana etc.
IS inside camera body

edit:
Phil,
sorry, maybe I am tired or else, but I missed your own post about Olympus.
But if I were you, I would also really think about this choice.

Upvote 0
Jul 14, 2012
Sella174 said:
Aglet said:
I like mine, and am looking forward to my X-T1 ...

Options for me are really leaning towards the Sony A7, the Olympus E-M1 and the Fujifilm X-T1 ... as they're all priced basically the same where I park it ... and small enough to carry around. Add a nice prime, weather-sealed of course, and I'm good to go. Only, there are no weather-sealed primes for these camera, or are there?

It's hard to find plausible-looking information about whether the Sony FE primes are weather sealed (some say they are, others say they aren't, still others say they are, somewhat), but even if they were I doubt they're up to E-M1 or even E-M5 standards. If they were, you would think Sony would make a big deal out of it. As for Olympus, the excellent 60mm macro is weather sealed, but I don't think their other primes are.

Re Sony A7 vs Olympus E-M1, the Olympus is one of the best designed cameras around and it has the virtue of the best (in some ways, at least) range of native lenses of any of these compact systems; it really is a pleasure to use. But if image quality matters a lot (i.e., if you don't print small and like pixel-peeping), the A7 is unquestionably better (the A7r even more so) than the E-M1 in that regard, the relentless protestations to the contrary on 43rumors notwithstanding. And since the image quality of the E-M1 strikes me as no better than the E-M5's, it made little sense for me to replace my E-M5 with an E-M1, especially given that the A7 costs more-or-less the same as an E-M1 (for me, the only advantage of the E-M1 over the E-M5 is the bigger viewfinder; the other "improvements" are all fluff).

The Fuji looks nice, but I hope the image quality is notably superior to the X-E1's. It could be that the copy I bought was defective, but I don't think it ever created a really sharp image, regardless of light, if the subject was more than a few yards away, and while it's true that even their RAW files have low noise, it's pretty obvious that they achieve that by applying heavy noise reduction that you can't avoid; you can even see this via dpreview's comparison tools.

Upvote 0
Jul 14, 2012
Sella174 said:
rs said:
On the surface, those requirements read like the spec sheet of the G1X mk II.

At this stage, downpour-sealed, great IQ and small'ish size are, in that order, my main criteria. Is the G1X2 weather-sealed and if it is, to what extent?

In that case, the E-M1 seems the way to go, at least if you attach the 12-40mm zoom. In case you've missed Ming Thein's hot shower test:

http://blog.mingthein.com/2013/09/10/olympus-om-d-e-m1-review-1/

Upvote 0

NWPhil

Oct 4, 2011
wow - :) glad to start seeing so many replies and good input. However, I can't take too much time to reply (still at work) , but for sheer body size, the canon G series is already borderline too big - that coming from someone lugging around a 1Dsmk3 or 5Dmk2 with grip while hiking ::)
I will log in later for more.
Thank you all for your time
Phil

Upvote 0
sdsr said:
The Fuji looks nice, but I hope the image quality is notably superior to the X-E1's. It could be that the copy I bought was defective, but I don't think it ever created a really sharp image, regardless of light, if the subject was more than a few yards away, and while it's true that even their RAW files have low noise, it's pretty obvious that they achieve that by applying heavy noise reduction that you can't avoid; you can even see this via dpreview's comparison tools.

The noise reduction (only in JPEG) can be somewhat modified by turning NR to -2 and increasing sharpness. As far as RAF files go, the files coming from the X Trans II are awesome for APSC.

I firmly believe that some of the issues people have with these files are from not processing them through the proper software. LR 5.3 now does a much better job than previous iterations with X Trans files albeit still not as good as photo ninja and a couple others IMO.

Anyhow, to the OP. Assuming you are willing to forego the desire to have a zoom, the X100s is by far the most well-rounded compact I have handled/owned. It is the camera I have with me day in a day out. IQ is great with the X Trans II, leaf shutter, built-in ND filter, true silent mode, and a hybrid EVF/OVF which separates it from everything else on the market. Just those few things alone in combination with each other make it very unique and versatile. It is also possible to land a used one currently for slightly under a thousand or right about there.

If you are going to opt for an ILC, based on what people are saying, the XT-1 should be rather amazing. I currently have the XE-2 and am already very happy with it. However, I will more than likely be upgrading as the XT-1 appears to build significantly on that awesomeness with it's increased AF Speed/tracking, weather sealing, tilting LCD, massive EVF, and true wifi features.

As a bonus, adapting legacy glass will be even more awesome on the XT-1 with the giant EVF that has 100% zoom window + split prism or peaking at the same time. Manual focus has never been easier on modern cam.

Only issue with the xt is that it won't fit into your price range requirement upon release.

Upvote 0

eml58

1Dx
Aug 26, 2012
Singapore
Sella174 said:
Only, there are no weather-sealed primes for these camera, or are there?

Cant speak for the others, but my own experience just recently of the Sony a7r & Zeiss 35 does impress me, very heavy rain, on the beach, shooting with the a7r/Zeiss 35, totally no issues.

I do have the Metabones for Canon Lenses but to date I've been so impressed with the Zeiss 35 & 55 I've only tried the a7r with the TSE 17, great set up, but I don't know about weather proof abilities with the Metabones, may be an issue.

You might want to have a look at Digital Revs test, check the video at around 3:40, his test wasn't with the Zeiss 35 or 55, I think it was done with the Sony Zoom, but my own experience to date indicates no issues with the Zeiss Primes on the a7r, a7 I imagine would be the same.

Hope this helps.

Sony A7 vs. A7R Hands-on Review

Upvote 0

NWPhil

Oct 4, 2011
rs said:
On the surface, those requirements read like the spec sheet of the G1X mk II. Are you sure that's not number one on your list, and this is just a last ditch attempt to see if anyone can talk you out of it? ;)

I'd say go for it!

LOL - well, I am not a gear slut per say, as aside the lumix, I only had a brief romance with Pentax 30 years ago or so (ME-super II). The LX3 did fit the bill when I lost a canon S9?? series a few years ago. It's unusable at 800 iso and higher, not to talk about color rendition. The size was right, with plenty of control, good close-up/macro abilities, and got it cheap enough to not be afraid of carrying it up and down mountains.

What I don't like on the G1-X mk2? - in part the lack of viewfinder and for sure the very short battery life.

It's not that the G15, G16 or G1-x are out of question, but the possibility of using my current lenses it's a big draw, IF indeed the AF can work. In that case so far, Sony is ahead. $400 for the metabones places it above what I want to spend for a casual camera (my wife has the S120, but would not be enough for me).

Then comes the Rx100II - did not like the UI that much aside offering only 28mm wide.

Has to be with a zoom for sure, and no less than 24mm.
I guess I will keep a look on same of the new upcoming models, but still wishing in big part that an EOS M mk3 would show up mid-summer.

So, nah, Canon G1Xmk2 still not quite there, because there is so much competition on that price and capabilities range right now, but they are just released or about to - aka no real feedback/reviews available yet

meanwhile I have a dedicated IE favorites folder with 20 links or so ....

Upvote 0

rs

Dec 29, 2012
UK
Sella174 said:
rs said:
On the surface, those requirements read like the spec sheet of the G1X mk II.

At this stage, downpour-sealed, great IQ and small'ish size are, in that order, my main criteria. Is the G1X2 weather-sealed and if it is, to what extent?
Sorry, my previous reply was to NWPhil.

How heavy a downpour? The Nikon AW1 might be your best bet short of a waterproof point and shoot?

Upvote 0