New 50 Finally on the Way? [CR1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

pwp

Oct 25, 2010
smithy said:
In that case, I shall keep my hard-earned cash safely in my wallet. I was about to splash out on the Sigma 50mm f/1.4...

Yes I'd wait if I were you. I went through two Sigma 50 f/1.4 lenses after off-loading my EF 50 f/1.4. Neither Sigma was consistent enough to trust for commercial work. AF was far too hit-and-miss. I should have just kept the old EF 50 f/1.4! My money is on the new lens being an f/2is. Hope fully it's stellar wide open.

-PW

Upvote 0
Mt Spokane Photography said:
Ellen Schmidtee said:
IMHO, Canon can't price a new 50mm f/2 IS (& probably USM or STM) without practically killing either the existing f/1.8 or the new f/2 - people who care that much for a fraction of a stop would buy the f/1.4 anyway.
Somehow I doubt if a $900 lens would kill a $120 lens.

How many EF 50mm f/2 IS USM would Canon sell for $900? I think few enough.

Upvote 0
Totally. I love my Zeiss 50mm but it could stand an upgrade. Give me 8 to 9 diaphragm blades like the upper-end lenses.... And make it metal. At 50mm, who needs IS....

crasher8 said:
Give me a better build, a true ring USM and leave it at 1.4 with no IS, I'll pay a few dollars more than the Sigma. ~489?

Upvote 0
You don't need to even be super smart or have a crystal ball, the next mid range 50 will have IS. Every one of their mid range lenses will have is so your next step is Cinema lenses one day if you get serious about it. It seems like they are trying to price non-L primes just under $1000 and above $500. I also believe they are updating the prime lenses with the L versions coming later, kinda a marketing move actually. I see the logic in it anyways. I am curious what they would do if they designed a new 50L as its pretty amazing as it is. None of their L primes are really left wanting other than adding some gasketing to some.
A trend i am really pleased about is their design efforts with aperture blades, they are finally making them circular as a standard even on the cheaper ones. I believe all the ones they released this year are circular if i am not mistaken. I imagine all new L primes will be 9 bladed circular aperture blades.

Upvote 0
Bosman said:
A trend i am really pleased about is their design efforts with aperture blades, they are finally making them circular as a standard even on the cheaper ones. I believe all the ones they released this year are circular if i am not mistaken. I imagine all new L primes will be 9 bladed circular aperture blades.

the new 22mm EF-M f2 STM has 7 circular blades like the 16-35L and there is something about the 7 circular blade look I really really like both in terms of blur and starbursts with very narrow apertures
I agree they should just make all circular be it 7, 8 or 9 just no more with only 5...

Upvote 0
Zv said:
With the exception of the 50 1.4 and possibly the 50L, which other lens would you guys like to see updated? I've heard people mention the 135L, 85 f/1.8 and the 100-400. Are we waiting for any others. Plz don't say 14-24 cos thats not an update!

As Canon's upgraded lenses have unreasonable prices, I'm not waiting for any lens to be upgraded.

Upvote 0
What about a plain and simple 50 1.4L? An updated version with better focusing, build, and image quality? IS would be nice, but that would jack up the price a bit. It sucks that you have to spend almost $1,500 for an L quality 50mm prime. I'm sure many people would happily pay $800 or so for this. Add IS and make it $1,000 and you really have a winner.

Upvote 0
I believe under $1000 is the new under $500 for Canon.

As far as aperture blades go i wonder if they choose how many blades based on the type of photography the lens is intended for like landscape lenses getting the best sun stars due to blade design. More blades for better bokeh balls with portrait lenses as well as cinema applications.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.