Not open for further replies.

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<div name="googleone_share_1" style="position:relative;z-index:5;float: right; margin: 70px 0 0 0;"><g:plusone size="tall" count="1" href="http://www.canonrumors.com/2011/08/new-article-adapting-your-fd-or-fl-lenses-to-efeos/"></g:plusone></div><div id="fb_share_1" style="float: right; margin: 0 -50px 0 10px;"><a name="fb_share" type="box_count" share_url="http://www.canonrumors.com/2011/08/new-article-adapting-your-fd-or-fl-lenses-to-efeos/" href="http://www.facebook.com/sharer.php">Share</a></div><div><script src="http://static.ak.fbcdn.net/connect.php/js/FB.Share" type="text/javascript"></script></div><div class="tweetmeme_button" style="float: right; margin-left: 10px;"><a class="tm_button" rel="&style=normal&b=2" href="http://www.canonrumors.com/2011/08/new-article-adapting-your-fd-or-fl-lenses-to-efeos/"></a></div>
<strong>Ever wondered how?

</strong>We’re featuring an article here by the owner of EdMika adaptors. They’re a Canadian based duo that engineers and makes adaptors for the Canon FL 55 f/1.2 lens, and an adaptor for various other Canon FD lenses.</p>
<p>Why would you do this?</p>
<p>Lots of people are buying Zeiss and other manual focus lenses at a pretty handsome price, while there is great old Canon glass that is begging to be used again!</p>
<p>The biggest money saver would adapting the big Canon supertelephoto FD lenses, does a very sharp 600 f/4.5 for $1500 sound appealing?</p>
<p>The new EF lenses are astounding, but that comes with a price.</p>
<p>Please read the article Jakub from EdMika wrote about the process and technology behind what appears to be a simple piece of metal.</p>
<p><strong><a href="http://www.canonrumors.com/tech-articles/fd-fl-lenses-on-your-ef-body/">Read the article here</a></strong></p>
<p><strong><span style="color: #ff0000;">c</span>r</strong></p>

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
TexPhoto said:
Interesting and fun article, but one question: Has the nobody ever taken a picture with one of thee adapted lenses? :eek: How can compose an article like that and not include a few photos shot through these lenses adapted to modern bodies?

I'm shooting with the adapted 55 f/1.2 this weekend on a 5D2, I'll post some photos.

Upvote 0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
6108981535_be0378e418_z.jpg

The lens is sharp, harsh bokeh. The vignette is pleasing. It sure does flare though! I'll post more stuff near the end of the weekend.

5D Mark II
Canon FL 55 f/1.2
EdMika Adaptor FL to EF

1/250
f/1.2
ISO 400

Upvote 0
The FD lenses would have been more appealing if I had been into photography before the Micro 4/3 cameras came out - prices have already skyrocketed.

And for my purposes - FD lenses seem nice but the MTF charts are not totally convincing on most of them.

And finally - not to take anything away from the ingenuity of my friends to the north, but various people have manually been converting FD lenses to EOS by replacing the mount in the past. Sometimes it's just replacing a single piece of metal that's needed.

Upvote 0
Jul 19, 2011
I enjoyed the article and love the idea of repurposing an old piece of glass, so I decided to give this a shot myself. I was on the verge of purchasing a "nifty fifty" but thought I would see if I could find an FL 55mm f/1.2 and adapt it for the same cost or less. Well, the adapter was $135 (including shipping) and I found a one-owner FL lens in excellent condition for $75. I'm calling it my "thrifty fifty-five."

The lens came with eight Hoya filters that were originally purchased with the lens: skylight, circ polarizer, and six colored filters. I'm still waiting for the adapter to arrive. I can hardly wait -- the acreage of glass in this lens is incredible. Since I'm using it on a crop sensor (7D), I found a T-60 telephoto hood to try out on it in addition to the standard S-60 that came with the lens. We'll see how that helps out the flare...

Upvote 0
Feb 18, 2011
Edwin Herdman said:
The FD lenses would have been more appealing if I had been into photography before the Micro 4/3 cameras came out - prices have already skyrocketed.

And for my purposes - FD lenses seem nice but the MTF charts are not totally convincing on most of them.

And finally - not to take anything away from the ingenuity of my friends to the north, but various people have manually been converting FD lenses to EOS by replacing the mount in the past. Sometimes it's just replacing a single piece of metal that's needed.

I agree on the lens prices rising, the EVIL bodies are getting better and they are taking some of the bargain out of the cost equation but they are no DSLR replacement, at least not yet. As for our outfit being original or not, I don't think we claim to be, what we hope to bring to the table is a do it yourself + keep the lens original philosophy mix that the market has not yet successfully filled.

We had a day long development session today and some of the ideas we came up with are going to be seen as pretty wicked stuff by most people I wager to say. If you find a fair deal on a TS 35 2.8 you may want to snap it up since a 100% EOS body compatible reversible do-it-yourself adapter kit is now beyond concept stage. Much earlier in development but promising are a couple of ideas we have for an FD 400mm 2.8 L EOS kit, both radical departures from the standard complicated rear mount tear up and rebuild. One of which would really put us on the map if we pulled it off.

Sad news for some though, We've done full tear downs of FL 58 1.2 and FD 55 1.2 SSC lenses and there really is no viable do-it-yourself and reversible EOS solution so we'll leave those two lens design to the mirroless (hopefully) and mount hacker crowds.

Stay tuned - Ed Mika

Upvote 0
Feb 18, 2011
Caps18 said:
I would imagine that adapting a good telescope would be just as good as the 800mm with 2x & 1.4x extenders. (I would be looking to do Astrophotography and would need huge lenses...) It might be a problem carrying that into sporting events, but more and more places are having problems with a 5DM2 or any DSLR...

I've been comparing the moon shots I've been doing to other people's on flickr since my first FD 600 4.5 (later my pair of FD 800 5.6L's) was made EOS compatible by one of my glued and grinded prototype designs in early 2010. I found it has to be a pretty high end telescope setup typically on a motorized mount with often hundreds of computer stacked images to compete or beat the detail I can resolve from the moon in a single shot. The old glass can certainly compete. -Ed Mika http://www.flickr.com/photos/ontarian/sets/72157623399415227/

Upvote 0
A

annatech

ontarian said:
Edwin Herdman said:

I agree on the lens prices rising, the EVIL bodies are getting better and they are taking some of the bargain out of the cost equation but they are no DSLR replacement, at least not yet. As for our outfit being original or not, I don't think we claim to be, what we hope to bring to the table is a do it yourself + keep the lens original philosophy mix that the market has not yet successfully filled.

We had a day long development session today and some of the ideas we came up with are going to be seen as pretty wicked stuff by most people I wager to say. If you find a fair deal on a TS 35 2.8 you may want to snap it up since a 100% EOS body compatible reversible do-it-yourself adapter kit is now beyond concept stage. Much earlier in development but promising are a couple of ideas we have for an FD 400mm 2.8 L EOS kit, both radical departures from the standard complicated rear mount tear up and rebuild. One of which would really put us on the map if we pulled it off.

Sad news for some though, We've done full tear downs of FL 58 1.2 and FD 55 1.2 SSC lenses and there really is no viable do-it-yourself and reversible EOS solution so we'll leave those two lens design to the mirroless (hopefully) and mount hacker crowds.

Stay tuned - Ed Mika

Sorry, I might be one of those people raising prices on FD lenses...

I have a Canon T70 and purchased an Olympus e-pl2 earlier this year.

I recently adapted the Canon FD 50mm f1.2 and it has worked out great (of course, there is the 2x crop but, hey, cheap 100mm f1.2 lens!)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stevetsi/sets/72157627508550731/with/6131127058/

I wish I also had a Canon full-frame, but I make do.

Anyway, here's the system I've learned with manually adapted lens:

1. Shoot full manual (yeah, of course).
2. Set your aperture on the lens.
3. Set your ISO.
4. Manually adjust your shutter speed to balance out your light meter.

Well, at least that's how I do it on the e-pl2. I watch my EV level and adjust the shutter speed to bring it to just under 0 (usually about -1 to -0.5).

So, once you're in given environment, you can just keep manually dialing the shutter speed up or down while keeping track of the light meter.

With large aperture lenses like the FD 50mm f1.2, it also helps to switch to sequential shooting mode and do your own focus bracketing by shooting off a series of shots. This lets you be more candid with such finicky lenses.

I've also adapted a fixed 500mm FD telephoto lens (crops to 1000mm on my m4/3rds camera). Here's a "Super Moon" video:

http://vimeo.com/22470788

Upvote 0
I think the best strategy that EdMika can employ is have the adapted lens tested by someone reputable (dpreview?). That info is what we all want and what would make the lens adapter sell if the results were really good. I own such a lens but will not spend $135 towards an adapter that might produce poor results. That makes no sense at all.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.