New Canon EOS R3 orders may take up to 6 months to fulfill

DBounce

Canon Eos R3
May 3, 2016
I don’t, I think half the people making YouTube videos simply preorder whatever product is hot, R3, A1, M1 MacBook Pro etc etc, they make an unboxing video, then they make a ‘living with it for two weeks’ video, then they make a ‘why I sent it back’ video. Meanwhile owning it costs nothing because they can send it back for free, they can then move on to ‘purchasing’ the next hot product.

The main ‘excuse’ will be I need the 45mp of the R5 and ”I’ll just wait for an R1”.
Why would they send it back, when they can just sell it and make a profit? Like I recently did with my Sony A7S3 (R3 replaces) and Sony FX6 (stopped using it once my Red Komodo arrived)?

While all of these cameras are now over a year since release, they are still all backordered for months. As, per this article the R3 will be also. Keep in mind the R1 will probably cost near on $8k. It’s going to be in a a different price bracket to the R3 for many.

Upvote 0

DBounce

Canon Eos R3
May 3, 2016
As I said before USA first and the rest of Europe when Canon has time to ship.
Very simple to say that there is stock in the US but as most sellers in the US refuse to ship to Europe, there is no other solution in Europe than to wait.
Canon needs to change its policy by announcing a delivery date for the US and Asia and a delivery date for Europe.
RF 100-500 says “In Stock Soon”… good luck with that!

Upvote 0

Alex784

EOS R3
Jan 9, 2020
Canada
most sellers in the US refuse to ship to Europe
They don't have the right to do so Also, the price in each country seems to be different as well.

For example, when 1DX3 has been released, it was much cheaper to fly from Vienna to Zürich and to buy it there. So maybe you might want to call a camera store in Geneva and ask, who knows...

Upvote 0
They don't have the right to do so Also, the price in each country seems to be different as well.

For example, when 1DX3 has been released, it was much cheaper to fly from Vienna to Zürich and to buy it there. So maybe you might want to call a camera store in Geneva and ask, who knows...
I believe that what you are describing is different from @Breizh's point: Breizh talks about ordering online and having the products shipped from the USA to EU.
You are talking about physically travelling to another country and physically purchasing the product in that country.

You should, technically, have to pay import duties on the camera when you returned from Switzerland to Austria, but that's beyond the point of this discussion.

Upvote 0

That is not correct. B&H refuses to sell the R5 to customers with an Australian address. Other stuff can be okay though.
Flying to another country to purchase is a different story and importation duties, VAT/GST etc should apply when bringing it back into your home country unless you are part of a trade bloc/EU.

Upvote 0

Alex784

EOS R3
Jan 9, 2020
Canada
I believe that what you are describing is different from @Breizh's point: Breizh talks about ordering online and having the products shipped from the USA to EU.
That is exactly I was talking about: a US-based store is prohibited by Canon to ship to EU and vice versa.
You should, technically, have to pay import duties on the camera when you returned from Switzerland to Austria, but that's beyond the point of this discussion.
Both being part of Schengen zone, there is no import duty to pay. That also means that there is no VAT refund, but it does not matter as long as the final price, including the plane tickets, is much cheaper in Switzerland than in Austria.

Upvote 0
I've received my pre-order the same day, on Nov 26th.
Tip: sign up for your free CPS membership on https://www.canon-europe.com/pro/canon-professional-services because it seems that Canon serves CPS members first.
CPS is very different from region to region.
In Australia, you must have your own company that "generates most of your income as a professional photographer or cinematographer (or both) in an Australian registered business?" They don't even treat the R5 as an eligible body but they have added the R3.
https://cps.canon.com.au/cps/membership/qualification
When I mentioned to the forum some time ago that CPS membership in Australia should be opened up to prosumers who own significant high end Canon kit similar to the European model, then there was a chorus of "we don't want our service to be compromised by the great unwashed".

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Alex784

EOS R3
Jan 9, 2020
Canada
That is not correct. B&H refuses to sell the R5 to customers with an Australian address.
Why isn't correct ? I was talking about Switzerland and Austria, two neighboring countries in the same customs zone.
Of course B&H refuses to sell the R5 to customers with an Australian address: Canon wants Australians to buy their products from Australian retailers.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Alex784

EOS R3
Jan 9, 2020
Canada
I perfectly know that, but the only fact to be a CPS member (which is supposed to have an international coverage, considering that the photo pros travel worldwide, even it covers only the commercial region of the member, e.g.: NA, EMEA, APAC) *seems* to give a priority. At least, in my case. For example, I don't qualify in Canada (I don't want to pay either), but I do qualify in EMEA and it does not cost me a dime. Furthermore, I could receive some welcome gifts and get them shipped to my parents in Europe, but I don't really care: I just want to always receive my preorders ASAP and so far, it worked just fine.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
That is exactly I was talking about: a US-based store is prohibited by Canon to ship to EU and vice versa.

Both being part of Schengen zone, there is no import duty to pay. That also means that there is no VAT refund, but it does not matter as long as the final price, including the plane tickets, is much cheaper in Switzerland than in Austria.
OK, I did not read it that way - quite the opposite.

As for Schengen, it is the passport agreememt, not a tax zone. UK was never part of the Schengen agreement, but they were part of the EU and thus you could import goods without tax & VAT. As they are no longer part of the EU, this is no longer possible.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Why isn't correct ? I was talking about Switzerland and Austria, two neighboring countries in the same customs zone.
Of course B&H refuses to sell the R5 to customers with an Australian address: Canon wants Australians to buy their products from Australian retailers.
I was commenting on the conversation from an Australian perspective.
"most sellers in the US refuse to ship to Europe
They don't have the right to do so."
Canon are able to restrict their resellers to certain geographies. The "right" or "legality" of the situation is different of course but the resellers want to keep Canon as a product and hence toe the official line. Canon Australia only provide a 5 year Australian warranty as well. Never needed to access it when traveling overseas thankfully

Upvote 0

Alex784

EOS R3
Jan 9, 2020
Canada
As for Schengen, it is the passport agreememt, not a tax zone.
Yes, actually you are right. So you could get a VAT refund then, but if the store cannot sell abroad, you'll have to do it at the border. I do (also) have an EU passport, but I never tried that myself. My point is that even if you buy it in Switzerland and bring it to EU, it will be cheaper than purchasing it, let's say, in Finland, where VAT is 24% vs 7.7% in Switzerland.
Canon are able to restrict their resellers to certain geographies.
That's exactly what I am talking about. It should be part of some dealership agreement.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
That's exactly what I am talking about. It should be part of some dealership agreement.
My corporate job is in procurement and I deal with network equipment OEMs and distributors in different countries every day. We often buy direct and import for our internal or managed services usage where it makes sense and we have the capacity to handle the importation requirements but resale needs to be bought locally for regulatory reasons. Some business units are happy to accept non-reclaimable GST/VAT costs vs simplicity of ordering.
There are ways around local distributors especially with drop-shipments after staging eg buy in Singapore, test the configuration there and then intra-company asset transfer to the destination country.
Getting a global discount vs local markups makes centralised ordering much more favourable. Local sales account managers hate it because they lose out on commissions.
Global maintenance agreements come into the equation though.
Global trade, export licenses and tax issues are very much front-of-mind for each business model as no one wants to be on the front page being slapped with fines.
Of course, all of this isn't relevant for consumer purchases but gives some idea of how it all fits together at the distributor level.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Roo

CR Pro
Sep 12, 2013
Melbourne
In Australia, you must have your own company that "generates most of your income as a professional photographer or cinematographer (or both) in an Australian registered business?" They don't even treat the R5 as an eligible body but they have added the R3.
https://cps.canon.com.au/cps/membership/qualification
When I mentioned to the forum some time ago that CPS membership in Australia should be opened up to prosumers who own significant high end Canon kit similar to the European model, then there was a chorus of "we don't want our service to be compromised by the great unwashed".
Not quite correct - the R and R5 are eligible bodies when you view the eligible products list linked on the qualification page.

Upvote 0
CPS or not CPS, I have never seen a priority in France. If you have the money to pay for it 6 months in advance, you are sure to receive it first.
I understand that it's difficult for dealers to refuse to sell to amateurs, it's their business, but as it's a camera for professionals, there should be priorities for orders.
Currently, there are amateurs who don't even know how to use it and take pictures of their cat in their garden, they are so proud to post pictures on the net, which I find completely ridiculous when there are professionals who have no visibility on the delivery date.
This situation is also stupid when you have equipment to resell, you don't know when you can start selling it.
They tell you: put an order and wait. Waiting for how long, 1, 3, 6 months, no one can answer, this is not a serious way of working.

Upvote 0
Not quite correct - the R and R5 are eligible bodies when you view the eligible products list linked on the qualification page.
It is very inconsistent. The front page says 1D/R3/5D bodies. The eligible products popup excludes all 1DX variants, 5Diii, 5Div. Why would the R be okay but the R6 is not included?
The lenses are also a very strange list. Maybe the site doesn't work properly with Firefox and Edge.

Upvote 0

Roo

CR Pro
Sep 12, 2013
Melbourne
It is very inconsistent. The front page says 1D/R3/5D bodies. The eligible products popup excludes all 1DX variants, 5Diii, 5Div. Why would the R be okay but the R6 is not included?
The lenses are also a very strange list. Maybe the site doesn't work properly with Firefox and Edge.
It's like the old 5D series vs 6D series thing - 6 series cameras are not built to the same standard being polycarbonate rather than having a mag alloy chassis and not having the same weather sealing. It's a fair question on the R as it is built similarly to a 6 series but it probably gets a pass because it was the first Canon mirrorless.

Upvote 0