New Canon RF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro features revealed

Aug 30, 2018
Way more than that! The RF 85 f2 is $599, the EF 100 L Macro just had a price rise (indeed this is probably why) to $1,299. This new RF macro is going to cost a lot more than the EF version not least of which because it is a much better lens.

I’d put this new lens at $1,995 launch price.
$1399 according to Nokishita.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
I was hoping it was going to be f/2, but 1.4:1 is a nice boost over my 100L. Still hoping they release a 150/180 f/2.8/3.5 at some point and that it can take a 1.4x TC at least.
I think you will find it is f2.8 with a 1:1.4 reproduction ratio, that is, it isn’t any faster than your EF L macro, but it magnifies more.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
As I think more about it...in order to be an improvement over my 24MP crop sensor with EF 100 mm non/L...I'd need to pair it with *at least* a 70 MP full frame.

Or at least, when magnifying 1.4 times instead of 1 time, put the same image across more than 4000x6000 pixels on the full frame sensor as it did on the 24 MP sensor. Maybe my R5 would be enough; the RP certainly wouldn't be.

Otherwise, since I can't use it with my EF crop sensor camera and get that pixel density...not gonna do.

Upvote 0
The danger for Canon is its pricing itself out of the market. So few of the RF lenses are affordable and with it discontinuing so many EF lenses the choices are going down for typical Rebel users that may want a few reasonable choices.
The price pretty accurate for what u get - those lenses r mostly just incredible and worth there price tag. And despite the fact, that there is no "Rebel Type" RF Kamera on the Market yet (The RP still costs a lot more than the Rebels), the typical Rebel User is probably buying it's lenses on the second hand market usually though. The wide variety of lenses from 30 Years of EF Lenses is still available there and is as good as before. The RF lineup is still pretty new and they can't release ALL Options simultaneously but if they would have startet with cheap lenses, no pro or semipro would have considered switching to RF/R-Cams.

BTW: With the 35mm and 50mm 1.8 and the 85mm 2.0 they actually have some decent options. The 35mm cost about the same as the EF 35mm 2.0 used to cost. And take a look at the roadmap - cheaper options are coming

Upvote 0
Feb 28, 2013
The price pretty accurate for what u get - those lenses r mostly just incredible and worth there price tag. And despite the fact, that there is no "Rebel Type" RF Kamera on the Market yet (The RP still costs a lot more than the Rebels), the typical Rebel User is probably buying it's lenses on the second hand market usually though. The wide variety of lenses from 30 Years of EF Lenses is still available there and is as good as before. The RF lineup is still pretty new and they can't release ALL Options simultaneously but if they would have startet with cheap lenses, no pro or semipro would have considered switching to RF/R-Cams.

BTW: With the 35mm and 50mm 1.8 and the 85mm 2.0 they actually have some decent options. The 35mm cost about the same as the EF 35mm 2.0 used to cost. And take a look at the roadmap - cheaper options are coming
See my recent post. The advantages of mirrorless are smaller & lighter equipment along with shorter back focus allowing more parallel light paths & lower artefacts. Canon thus far has not made many smaller & lighter lenses and the only lightweight body is the RP with old technology in it. I have the RF 24-240mm lens I was hoping for a single lens option for short breaks but the quality is simply not there so Ive reverted to the RF 24-105mm f4L. Given that in the UK the RF 24-240mm is £ 959.00 it represents poor value for money and you have to buy a lens hood separately! putting the total cost over £ 1,000. The Canon EF 70-200mm f4L IS USM II is currently £ 1,339.00 in the UK, the RF 70-200mm f4L IS USM is £ 1,719.00 a little over 22% more. The manufacturing costs are not going to be significantly different, in fact the RF version is likely cheaper to produce given its lens design (no internal focusing). Much of Canon manufacturing is automated including lens assembly & the only different factor maybe R&D amortisation but at a unit cost level it would not add 22%.
Maybe Canon is factoring in lower volumes, maybe its simply better margins either way across the RF & R body lineup costs are significantly increased to the consumer and that in turn will lower volumes by pricing consumers out of the market for your product.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

bbasiaga

Canon Shooter
Nov 15, 2011
USA
Way more than that! The RF 85 f2 is $599, the EF 100 L Macro just had a price rise (indeed this is probably why) to $1,299. This new RF macro is going to cost a lot more than the EF version not least of which because it is a much better lens.

I’d put this new lens at $1,995 launch price.
If we were playing The Price is Right, I'd go with $1996 to block you in, but since its polite company I'll go $2299. I think their pricing structure is nothing under F4 for less than $2k (nothing with an L on it anyway).

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
...across the RF & R body lineup costs are significantly increased to the consumer and that in turn will lower volumes by pricing consumers out of the market for your product.
I'm pretty sure Canon has done a lot more analysis of the market that anyone on this forum. From reading your post, it sounds to me like you are missing the target market for the R line, which is primarily enthusiasts with high disposable income. That market is not particularly price sensitive. The consumer line and successor to the Rebel is the M series. Also, keep in mind that the R series is new and has not been fully built out yet. In addition, the pandemic has impacted all aspects of the market and supply chain. As supplies increase and the market returns to normal, we will likely see R system prices settle in at more reasonable levels, just as the D/EF system always did.

Upvote 0
The danger for Canon is its pricing itself out of the market. So few of the RF lenses are affordable and with it discontinuing so many EF lenses the choices are going down for typical Rebel users that may want a few reasonable choices.
In a market where they can't keep the RF lenses or bodies in stock, I think Canon is probably feeling OK about its pricing strategy :)

Upvote 0

Stuart

Hi, Welcome from an ePhotozine fan, & 6D user.
Jul 22, 2010
London & Woking
www.ephotozine.com
So Manual spherical aberration control - what will it look like to the photographer?
e.g. if i'm close to my object at f8, then use SA to blur a variable amount of the outer area of the image circle will that even more focus in on to my subject. Like a super portrait lens. Or even a bit like a lens baby playing with out of focus areas for vignette blurring effects.

Upvote 0

lexptr

Photograph the nature while it exists...
Aug 8, 2014
Great! The x1.4 alone would be awesome improvement. I missed the lost "magnification" of 1:1 on APS-C, after moving to full frame. I hope the IQ and IS will be improved too.
The SA control is an odd story. I didn't get the idea yet and thus looks more like excessive feature, adding price, weight and place to break. I hope, I'm wrong. And I will miss the tripod collar for sure.

Upvote 0