New Delkin CFexpress Card to launch thursday, it will be the fastest card for the Canon EOS R5 yet

Delkin lent us a new CFexpress Type B card, to be released later this week, which our tests show to be the fastest card yet for the Canon R5. The new Delkin Black 325 GB card shot 325 images in 30 seconds, edging out the previous title holder, one of the newer Angelbirds.
Video shooters will be pleased to hear it managed heat well enough to allow our R5 to shoot 8K video for the full 29 minutes and 59 seconds without overheating.
The card will retail for $430 starting on Thursday. The comprehensive CFexpress Type B review will be updated shortly to reflect the results of this card, as well as one or two additional new ones currently under testing.

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
The new Delkin Black 325 GB card shot 325 images in 30 seconds
That's great. How many megapixels does the new card have? ;)

Nice to see faster cards producing less heat and so adressing one of the reasons the canon R5 may overheat after long record times.

Maybe in some years, when newer cards will only get warm and not hot the overheating problem is then in most cases solved?

Upvote 0
Jun 27, 2013
Pune
There don't see to be any tests with the R3. Would be interested in seeing if the card speed makes a difference for the R3.
If same controller is used as R5 then results won't change much(other than better firmware implementation) but if new controller is used then results surely would change quite a bit.

Upvote 0
Is there a 160GB card or just this single one to be released this week?

Edit: Graph on website needs to reworked its too straining to read and too difficult to understand(at glance) in its current format

There will be the following new Delkin Black cards:
75, 150, 325, and 650 GB.

That's on top of the existing 64, 128, 256, and 512 GB cards (reviewed previously).

We only have confirmation that the 325 GB card is coming out on Thursday. I have a question in to an executive to see if the other new ones are coming out at the same time.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
There don't see to be any tests with the R3. Would be interested in seeing if the card speed makes a difference for the R3.

We did a full suite of R3 tests with the cards that were out at the time of its launch. There were some differences between the R5 and R3, but nothing that appeared to change relative performance between cards.

Upvote 0
That's great. How many megapixels does the new card have? ;)

Nice to see faster cards producing less heat and so adressing one of the reasons the canon R5 may overheat after long record times.

Maybe in some years, when newer cards will only get warm and not hot the overheating problem is then in most cases solved?

Yeah, I'm in the midst of doing video tests across a dozen or so cards with multiple R5 bodies. It's interesting to feel the temperature differences when I remove the cards for swapping.

When I first did the card review in 2020, I measured the card temperatures, and there wasn't much difference between them, so we stopped bothering to measure it. They were all pretty hot. I think next time we do a revisit, we might measure temperature again, because it seems to me that some are significantly cooler than others; and - importantly - that this correlates to shot time.

A postscript: I did one of those make-your-own cards, where I bought a NVME drive and emplaced it in a CFexpress chassis I got on eBay after loading it up with silicon heat paste. That thing is like a burning sun after shooting 20 minutes of 8k. While it's a super-cheap way to get a lot of storage, an works fantastically for stills, it shows what you're missing when you avoid making a controller/firmware that accounts for heat. A good worst-case scenario.

Upvote 0
We did a full suite of R3 tests with the cards that were out at the time of its launch. There were some differences between the R5 and R3, but nothing that appeared to change relative performance between cards.
Thanks. I looked through the menus on the website, but did not see a reference to the R3 testing. I'm 99% stills, so the the outright speed doesn't appear to be critical, as the R3 controller appears to be the limiting factor (unlike the 1DX3 which can do infinite burst length with a sufficiently fast CFe card).

Upvote 0
Did you record 8K raw or raw light?
8K-U, 23.98P, ALL-I on both cameras. Swapped them between runs in case there was a body bias, and also to halve the time I needed to wait for heat to dissipate.

You'll recall that you need to shoot in 8K-D to get the RAW options.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
8K-U, 23.98P, ALL-I on both cameras. Swapped them between runs in case there was a body bias, and also to halve the time I needed to wait for heat to dissipate.

You'll recall that you need to shoot in 8K-D to get the RAW options.
I guess that you wouldn't fit 30 mintues of 8kraw on 325GB :)

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Excited for these cards myself. They apparently would let the Nikon Z9 shoot until the card is full even on non HE* due to writing faster than the camera can feed it. Though we still have the 4 GB/s cards to come which are still expected this year though may not help current cameras unless they are secretly PCIe 4.0.
Does CFe type B have a four lane option and more importantly, do the cameras have it?

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

Upvote 0