New firmware coming for the Canon EOS R5 in the next month or so

I absolutely see no reason for Canon to want someone to wait until the release of the R5 MkII instead of buying the R5. Especially given that the competition is not absent, and that people that are not willing to buy the R5 because of its (perceived or real) lack of features are also not likely to be willing to buy RF lenses for their current cameras.

People to whom the R3 would be "further up the range" would be much more likely to buy the R6 than the R5.

The resources of Canon's software engineers are not unlimited, and "Reduction in startup lag time" could be especially hard (if possible at all) to implement.
I agree completely on the lag time issue. I doubt that they will address that in the R5 with firmware.

The assertion that the R3 is not up range from the R5 is ridiculous though... That's like saying the 1DX II wasn't up range of the 5D IV. The R3 exceeds the R5 in almost every spec except pixels. I think you'll find that plenty of people who buy the R3 will also have an R5 in their bag. I know I will. I know several others that will as well. Different tools for different jobs. R3 for low light and/or speed, R5 when I can't get close enough and need to do significant crops. Now, if I could only afford (or wanted) 1 camera I would likely stick with the R5 so I could have the pixels, but the R6 wouldn't even be in the conversation.

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
The assertion that the R3 is not up range from the R5 is ridiculous though... That's like saying the 1DX II wasn't up range of the 5D IV.
No, it's like saying the 1DX II wasn't "up range" of the 5DS R.

The R3 exceeds the R5 in almost every spec except pixels. I think you'll find that plenty of people who buy the R3 will also have an R5 in their bag. I know I will. I know several others that will as well. Different tools for different jobs. R3 for low light and/or speed, R5 when I can't get close enough and need to do significant crops. Now, if I could only afford (or wanted) 1 camera I would likely stick with the R5 so I could have the pixels, but the R6 wouldn't even be in the conversation.
The question was: would adding firmware features to the R5 discourage you from buying the R3?

Upvote 0
No, it's like saying the 1DX II wasn't "up range" of the 5DS R.

The question was: would adding firmware features to the R5 discourage you from buying the R3?
It would have to be one heck of a firmware update ;). My answer to that is probably not. I think quite a few of the advantages that the R3 is going to present have to do with the new sensor technology (BSI-Stacked) and the faster read out speeds that makes possible to improve AF performance, etc... I'm seeing examples of high ISO images from the R3 that are a significant update for me. Not that the R5 is bad, but the R3 looks to take things to a new level. I also shoot a 600 f4 and the new contacts should add additional speed to the RF 600 (If they ever ship it to me). These are things that you can't add with firmware. I will still use my R5 so the different items listed would be a welcome add.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

LSXPhotog

Automotive, Commercial, & Motorsports
CR Pro
Apr 2, 2015
Tampa, FL
www.diossiphotography.com
fix the audio popping problem when recording with on-board mics please. Problem exists on both the R5 and R6.
I personally haven’t run into this issue on either camera. Perhaps it’s an issue with your microphone pr cable? I’m using a Rode VideoMic NTG, Witeless Go II, and Takstar. All are powered microphones so maybe it’s an issue with others?

Upvote 0

LSXPhotog

CR Pro
Apr 2, 2015
Tampa, FL
To add to the wish list....
Ability to recognize more eye AF subjects like bugs/insects and ungulates. Cars/motorbike tracking from R3 would be nice
Ability to select and customize which items appear in the Q Menu.
Ability to shoot at fewer than 20 FPS in silent shutter.
Pixel shift functionality for ultra-high MP stills images. Multi-shot high res mode.
Ability via a menu option to select IS, IBIS, IS+IBIS when using both RF and EF lenses with IS.
Focus stack with flash.
The IBIS and IS situation is extremely frustrating that they can’t be controlled separately. I would like to only use lens IS on ultrawides and disable IBIS….why we can’t is beyond me. I was also shocked when I found out digital IS can only be used when lens IS and IBIS are engaged as well!? Why!?!?

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
I absolutely see no reason for Canon to want someone to wait until the release of the R5 MkII instead of buying the R5. Especially given that the competition is not absent, and that people that are not willing to buy the R5 because of its (perceived or real) lack of features are also not likely to be willing to buy RF lenses for their current cameras.
What an odd comment. You have an incredibly odd way of interpreting what I’ve written. I’ve never suggested at any time that people shouldn’t buy an R5, or that they delay purchase until an R5 Mkii is available.

Upvote 0

AustrianGeek

EOS RP
Mar 21, 2021
Something video related (but also stills regarding the flickering): Flicker Auto-Detection Feature + exactly adjustable shutter speed (like "Synchro Scan" on the Panasonics) -> Both working already on the R3 + 30 Min. Time limit removal AND for gods sake - The 5.1K APS-C cropped version of the sensor readout as internal RAW video recording. Why the heck do you have to use the Atomos Ninja V / V+ for that ...

Upvote 0

rbielefeld

CR Pro
Apr 22, 2015
I want just two things. 1) for the evf to be able to be kept on all the time or for the evf to wake up instantly when I get my eye to the vf, and 2) for there to be an option to have the ES have an imitated shutter release sound. At times I really need to be able to hear that the camera is shooting when shooting in ES. The second request should be easy, right? Come on Canon Nikon and Sony provide a fake shutter release noise. You can too!

Upvote 0
Mar 6, 2021
I personally haven’t run into this issue on either camera. Perhaps it’s an issue with your microphone pr cable? I’m using a Rode VideoMic NTG, Witeless Go II, and Takstar. All are powered microphones so maybe it’s an issue with others?
It doesn’t show up with external mics plugged in to the 3.5mm but when recording with the built-in camera microphones.

Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
You conveniently edited my post to suit your argument. I repeat it below, with the text that you omitted:

"I wasn’t suggesting that Canon were about to produce a R5 Mkii - I was suggesting that if someone wants a camera with more features or a higher specification, they’d want them to buy a model further up in the range, or to wait until the next iteration is released, rather than add those features to an existing model".

I think Canon would disagree with your assessment that there is no model further up the range. The R3 although it has a lower MP count (but enough for most users) has a much better specification overall, and is certainly further up the range.

The R5 meanwhile has many features “missing” that Canon could very easily address with a firmware update, but have so far chosen not do do so. These include among others:

Ability to set lower burst rates than 20fps in electronic shutter.
Ability to bracket exposures with electronic shutter.
Ability to assign a fake shutter sound with electronic shutter.
Reduction in startup lag time.

I’ll lay money that Canon never addresses these with a firmware update…

Come on Canon, prove me wrong and I’ll buy you all a beer.
Shutter sound with electronic shutter is already available. Startup time has also be addressed. The other is rarely mention on any forum, therefore I bet that very few people have taken time to go to the Canon Customer support page and file a request.
If enough people request them. Canon most likely will. Chattering on a rumor site does very little. However request made via Customer support get attention. I know for this to be factual. Canon USA responds very promptly. If one can prove or show that like functions already exist on similar cameras. Canon often does include those updates in a future firmware update. Such as the "Save settings to disk" and other like functions added recently. Functions requested via Canon Customer support. These are mostly firmware changes that will not impact the device temperature. Canon has been adding many R5 features regurlarly due to high request since it's release. It's not as if Canon is shipping any other model in sizeable numbers. Only a mere handfull of R3 or any other model will be shipped until the ship shortage ends.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
Shutter sound with electronic shutter is already available. Startup time has also be addressed. The other is rarely mentioned on any forum, therefore I bet that very few people have taken time to go to the Canon Customer support page and file a request.
If enough people request them, Canon most likely will addrss them. They usually do. Chattering on a rumor site does very little. However request made via Customer support get attention. I know this to be factual. Canon USA responds very promptly. If one can prove or show that like functions already exist on similar or past Canon cameras. Canon often does include those updates in a future firmware update. Such as the "Save settings to disk" and other like functions added recently to the R5. Functions requested via Canon Customer support. These are mostly firmware changes that will not impact the device temperature. Canon has been adding many R5 features regurlarly due to high request since it's release. It's not as if Canon is shipping any other model in sizeable numbers. Only a mere handfull of R3 or any other model will be shipped until the ship shortage ends.

Upvote 0

LSXPhotog

CR Pro
Apr 2, 2015
Tampa, FL
Shutter sound with electronic shutter is already available. Startup time has also be addressed. The other is rarely mention on any forum, therefore I bet that very few people have taken time to go to the Canon Customer support page and file a request.
If enough people request them. Canon most likely will. Chattering on a rumor site does very little. However request made via Customer support get attention. I know for this to be factual. Canon USA responds very promptly. If one can prove or show that like functions already exist on similar cameras. Canon often does include those updates in a future firmware update. Such as the "Save settings to disk" and other like functions added recently. Functions requested via Canon Customer support. These are mostly firmware changes that will not impact the device temperature. Canon has been adding many R5 features regurlarly due to high request since it's release. It's not as if Canon is shipping any other model in sizeable numbers. Only a mere handfull of R3 or any other model will be shipped until the ship shortage ends.
Shutter sound with electronic shutter cannot be found anywhere in the menus of my R5 and R6...am I missing something or are you just guessing?

Upvote 0

rbielefeld

CR Pro
Apr 22, 2015
Shutter sound with electronic shutter cannot be found anywhere in the menus of my R5 and R6...am I missing something or are you just guessing?
There is no shutter sound available for the R5 or R6, I am not sure what this poster is talking about. Also, the EVF delay has not been addressed. It take a good second for the EVF to come on when you bring your eye to the vf if the evf has turned off. This is too long a delay if you are shooting fast action.

Upvote 0