New ZEISS SLR Lens Family for ZE and ZF.2 Mounts

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
The vast majority of photographers, pro and hobbyist, consider MF only to be dead in the water, no sale, no way, now how.

Canon marketing must be giving a huge sigh of relief, maybe tap-dancing, and maybe saying to each other, "See, no worries, no rush."

Bring on that new 50mm 1.2L !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p

Upvote 0
YuengLinger said:
The vast majority of photographers, pro and hobbyist, consider MF only to be dead in the water, no sale, no way, now how.

Canon marketing must be giving a huge sigh of relief, maybe tap-dancing, and maybe saying to each other, "See, no worries, no rush."

Bring on that new 50mm 1.2L !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p

I don't know about that, I do love AF, especially in lenses like the 70-200 f/2.8 IS II, however when I use the 50mm f/1.8 II I switch to MF a lot, and I wish it has the same MF qualities like the Rokinon 14mm f/2.8, as a hobbyist with little budget, I don't have many lenses, and so I can't afford to have two sets, but I really wish I can, however I find that under 70mm I don't need AF that much, and as a general rule MF primes are ok, zooms need AF as it means your situation is usually either hand-holding or the target is moving, of course big whites are different as their use case requires AF.

Upvote 0

FramerMCB

Canon 40D & 7D
CR Pro
Sep 9, 2014
They need to create a Lens Kit for some of these like they did (at least at B&H) for the Makro Planar lenses. Sell a custom "suitcase" of Zeiss for $6K[USD] include the 21, 35, 50 f1.4, and 85. And you can add the 100mm for another $1.4K[USD].

Ah...weather sealing at last! Now, if they can just work on adding AF. These are beautiful looking lenses...the comparisons with Canon's new 35 1.4L II (and soon to be introduced 85 and 50L II's) will be interesting indeed. GAME ON!!!

Upvote 0
FramerMCB said:
From what I have seen/read of other Zeiss lens photos/reviews is the 'drawing' quality of Zeiss lenses appear to me to be second-to-none. I can't wait to see how these 'new' lenses perform in this regard. That and their color rendition is superlative... again: GAME ON!!!

Aside from the 50 1.4 and the 85 1.4, these are just a rebranding of the already existing Zeiss lenses so I wouldn't expect too much.

Upvote 0

nvsravank

CR Pro
Feb 2, 2012
Re: Zeiss Announce Milvus Lens Lineup

sdsr said:
Cali Capture said:
NEXT! So pay more for new design, (they do look nice), yet still no AF and Less than Otis Optics. The trade off of cost and no AF is justified w/ the unparalleled optics on the purchase of an Otis, this line just looks like copies of L lenses lacking AF. BTW Zeiss, all Canon lenses MF, so if anyone's needing to learn the art of MF, there's a button for that! Looks like Canon really has an opportunity to move ahead if the blue gel is as good as they claim in the 35mm. No doubt, these are some exciting times for Photography!

Sure, you can MF with an AF lens, but the MF experience is nowhere near as good on AF lenses as it is with lenses designed for MF - among other things, the focus "throw" is usually too short, and they're often not well damped, both of which make fine adjustments tricky. So I don't think an AF lens would be the best place to start if trying to "learn the art of MF"....

Try the MF on the 85 L. It is a long throw and extremely well done albeit focus by wire.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
meywd said:
YuengLinger said:

I don't know about that, I do love AF, especially in lenses like the 70-200 f/2.8 IS II, however when I use the 50mm f/1.8 II I switch to MF a lot, and I wish it has the same MF qualities like the Rokinon 14mm f/2.8, as a hobbyist with little budget, I don't have many lenses, and so I can't afford to have two sets, but I really wish I can, however I find that under 70mm I don't need AF that much, and as a general rule MF primes are ok, zooms need AF as it means your situation is usually either hand-holding or the target is moving, of course big whites are different as their use case requires AF.

Ok, maybe I should say vast majority of photographers OVER A CERTAIN AGE won't consider buying a lens without AF. Ahem.

Upvote 0
YuengLinger said:
meywd said:
YuengLinger said:

Ok, maybe I should say vast majority of photographers OVER A CERTAIN AGE won't consider buying a lens without AF. Ahem.

lol

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
Me: No AF, no buy, no interest. At all.

And yes, i am old enough to have lived through some of the pre-AF times. Ever since i really dislike MF. Bought the first Minolta AF SLR as soon as it was available and have not twisted any focus ring ever since. Actually I would prefer pure AF-lenses. No focus ring and mf gear whatsoever. AF only. Simpler, more compact, less costly. And all the money to go into glass and optical performance rather than into metal/rubber/mechanical bits.

Upvote 0
dcm said:
New line, between the Otus and Classic. Check out pages 28-29 of the Milvus brochure at
http://www.zeiss.com/content/dam/Photography/new/pdf/brochures/milvus/milvus_leaflet_en.pdf

Yes and here's the rub... There are three otus lenses pictured 85,55 and a slightly shorter than 55 lens so is there a shorter known otus?

Upvote 0