Nik Collection 3 By DxO: A Faster and More Creative User Experience in Adobe Photoshop and Lightroom Classic

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
The halos are a serious problem especially in Silver Efex, that‘s right. I attended a webinar some weeks ago and adressed it to the trainer but there is no solution on the horizon for this. They can be controlled within limits using the structure function.
Not a limited to Nik issue.... Also a problem in Photolab:

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Unless of course you were just bootlegging the software which I think most of the people who bitch about were doing and now can’t steal it and are butthurt about it. That’s very inexpensive and cheaper than the license/update model.

You can steal it just as easily now as you could pre subscription.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
I think its 12.99 a month I'm paying for Photoshop / Lightroom. For me its worth it. I use it alot. It used to be a crazy price when it wasn't subscription. Most people couldn't afford it. My only concern is that they are in a near monopoly situation and have a captive audience. If you stop your subscription the software is rendered useless. It doesn't give Adobe a huge incentive to innovate or add improved features or new way of doing things that are currently complicated. You'd hope it would open up opportunties for software like Nik software but not if they are selling upgrades that has very little in it upgraded.

That is not true. You still have all your images, the Library module works the same, you can export your images with the LR adjustments you had just the same, even the Print model still works. What you can't do is import new images and make changes to the development settings.

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
When you consider that they are one of the only quality RAW developing tools that is as good as Lightroom (or better depending on your taste) that doesn't gouge you with their monthly/annual subscription model, they are.

I'm curious....

How do your rate the RAW engines in On1 and Affinity Photo and Capture One?

Thanks in advance,

cayenne

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
When did Capture One go to a subscription model? For that matter, when did the standalone ON1 suite go to a subscription model? If you don't want the updates you can keep using the old version until you get a camera too new for them to handle the files. Even then, you can convert to DNG if you don't mind doing that.

I've been looking around and Capture One and the new On1 offerings.

They both still offer purchasing licenses...but they also now are offering subscription...ugh....I hate that they are even offering it.

But different strokes for different folks.

C

Upvote 0

HenryL

EOS R3
CR Pro
Apr 1, 2020
If you cancel your Adobe subscription, you don't lose your photos and you can still use most of Lightroom. You can even continue to use it's management features, including importing new images. Excerpted from Adobe's website:

"You continue to have access to all your photos on your local hard drive through Lightroom for the desktop. You can continue to import and organize photos and output your edited photos through Export, Publish, Print, Web, or Slideshow. Access to the Develop & Map modules and Lightroom for mobile is not available after your membership ends."

Myself, I do think it's lame that after paying for some minimum number of time you don't get to keep a fully functional license for whatever the current version is at the time you cancel. Still, it's not like your prior work is lost, not at all. You just pick the point in time where you use a different application to work your images.

Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
That is not true. You still have all your images, the Library module works the same, you can export your images with the LR adjustments you had just the same, even the Print model still works. What you can't do is import new images and make changes to the development settings.
I'll rephrase more or less useless. I don't think I'd be using it if I stopped subscribing. I couldn't process new images.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
I've been looking around and Capture One and the new On1 offerings.

They both still offer purchasing licenses...but they also now are offering subscription...ugh....I hate that they are even offering it.

But different strokes for different folks.

C

On1 subscriptions are for all of the online learning "how to video" content, not the actual application.

When they introduce ON1 360° there will also be subscriptions for cloud storage.

Upvote 0