Nikon D4 Specs Revealed? 1D X Has Competition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Joe J7771

JR said:
Joe J7771 said:
I saw the 1DX at Photoplus, and on the LCD screen, ISO25k images were stunning. I'd say they are on par with ISO400-800 from a 1DS MKII. I'm not one to blow smoke up a company's ass, in fact I feel that Canon has severely dropped the ball on anything made post-1D MKII (with the exception of the 1DS MKIII). I still use 1D MKII and 1DS MKII's, and have yet to feel the need to invest in anything newer, that would take care of both in one (and FF).
Until now. After fully examining it at Photoplus, the 1DX answers all my qualms with a DSLR about still photos, other than faster flash sync speed. Well done, Canon.

Wow! Were you able to take sots with a memory card in by any chance? Ok ok am dreaming now! I so cant wait to see real RAW image from this puppy! Looks promissing indeed...

The memory card slot door on all the display 1DX's were unaccessible; I was hoping to shoot a file on my CF card and examine it at home. Going to have to wait until they are released, I guess.

Upvote 0
O

Orion

Joe J7771 said:
I saw the 1DX at Photoplus, and on the LCD screen, ISO25k images were stunning. I'd say they are on par with ISO400-800 from a 1DS MKII. . . . .

maybe on the LCD screen, but not at full res and out of camera ;) . That can't translate to ISO 400-800 from a 1Ds mkII. It just soounds TOOOO impossible to get that much clarity and detail from ISO 25k. . .

If true, though . . . . god help us (or just did)!

Upvote 0
J

Joe J7771

Orion said:
Joe J7771 said:
I saw the 1DX at Photoplus, and on the LCD screen, ISO25k images were stunning. I'd say they are on par with ISO400-800 from a 1DS MKII. . . . .

maybe on the LCD screen, but not at full res and out of camera ;) . That can't translate to ISO 400-800 from a 1Ds mkII. It just soounds TOOOO impossible to get that much clarity and detail from ISO 25k. . .

If true, though . . . . god help us (or just did)!

Obviously I said from an LCD screen, meaning that is all I'm judging it by. I was doing a brief comparative analysis, based on what a 1DS MKII file looks like on an LCD screen and then opened on a computer monitor. I don't understand how someone could think I'm trying to state definitive findings. But over the years of examining files on LCD screens then opening them on computer monitors, I'd say my assessment is a relatively safe barometer (comparing the 1Dx ISO25K to 1DS MKII ISO800 files at least, and possibly ISO400).
We'll see; and I saw.

Upvote 0
Joe J7771 said:
Obviously I said from an LCD screen, meaning that is all I'm judging it by. I was doing a brief comparative analysis, based on what a 1DS MKII file looks like on an LCD screen and then opened on a computer monitor. I don't understand how someone could think I'm trying to state definitive findings. But over the years of examining files on LCD screens then opening them on computer monitors, I'd say my assessment is a relatively safe barometer (comparing the 1Dx ISO25K to 1DS MKII ISO800 files at least, and possibly ISO400).
We'll see; and I saw.

Any idea on comparing that to the 5D Mk II roughly? ISO 1600 seems reasonable on 5D (more so in lighter conditions, but that's the deal with any camera).

Side-point - is this presumably part sensor, part Noise Reduction improvements? Presumably this could also mean better NR in post using Light Room for shots taken from the 1DX?

Upvote 0

JR

Sep 22, 2011
Canada
tt said:
Any idea on comparing that to the 5D Mk II roughly? ISO 1600 seems reasonable on 5D (more so in lighter conditions, but that's the deal with any camera).

Side-point - is this presumably part sensor, part Noise Reduction improvements? Presumably this could also mean better NR in post using Light Room for shots taken from the 1DX?

My understanding of the claimed 2 stop ISO improvement of the 1DX over the 1DIV is using a JPEG file (from reading other post on the 1DX) which would suggest indeed this is part sensor and part in camera NR improvements.

No of use have seem actual RAW file but the sense seem to be that using RAW file this improvement will be less then 2 stops. So maybe comparing to your 5D mkII we will get 1 stop improvements (or a little more) but certainly not two. The comments from J7771 (which I hope is true by the way as a future buyer of the 1DX) would mean ISO 25k would be as good as your ISO 1600 on your 5D which seem to big of a gap to be realistic.

I am hoping for ISO 6400 of the 1DX to be at least as clean as 1600 on my 5D mkII...only time will tell us :p

Upvote 0
H

handsomerob

Mt Spokane Photography said:
OOPS, NR has revised their highly accurate D4 specification.

Instead of ISO 102400, it now reads 12,800 which is three stops less. Expandable to 204,000??? Expand by 4 stops? I'd wonder what a 4 stop underexposed image looks like when pulled up in processing. Not good, I'd expect.

Yeah pretty interesting; 2 stops lower native ISO than 1DX.

Nikon keeping the native ISO this 'low' could mean that they found a way to come up with very, very clean images @ ISO 12800.
And 204k sounds just silly to me.

I can't wait to see both cameras released & reviewed!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.