Nikon D600 $2700 MSRP??

Status
Not open for further replies.
bbasiaga said:
Not sure I'd buy it at that, but too close to the 5DIII if it goes any higher.

Canon is in a dilemma here. Of course they'll discontinue the 5d2 (the name 5d3 alone states that), they just kept it around because they raised the 5d3 price tag so high to make money from early adopters.

But the pricing of the 6d will show how Canon expects the 5d3 to develop, because the gap cannot be too large if the 6d hasn't got any distinct features like built-in flash or flip out screen.

Upvote 0
Feb 26, 2012
AB
Marsu42 said:
Canon is in a dilemma here. Of course they'll discontinue the 5d2 (the name 5d3 alone states that), they just kept it around because they raised the 5d3 price tag so high to make money from early adopters.

But the pricing of the 6d will show how Canon expects the 5d3 to develop, because the gap cannot be too large if the 6d hasn't got any distinct features like built-in flash or flip out screen.

and... keeping 5D3 price high allows 5D2 to look like a bargain in comparison so it will sell out inventory without having to discount it.
Once it's gone the 6D may fill that slot so maybe not real down pressure on 5D3 price.

D600, however, complicates buyers' options if they're not too tied to Canon glass but even then you can sell it and get most equivalents from Nikon.

Upvote 0
my take on this ---

the d600 with those specs and build is no real threat to canon at $2200. If anything, its a bad move on nikons part because the price gap between it and the d800 is too low.

These moves will hurt nikon in the long run I think. The d600 is priced for profit and the d800 is priced at a loss and if you notice the differences in features the d800 is well worth spending the extra $800 on. If the canon 6d ends up running between $1800-2300 and keeps the price of the mk3 around the same rate (maybe drop it to $3300) then nikon better watch out! Yes, d800 's will sell like hot cakes, and the d600 will get passed over by most because what do you get for the extra $800? Weather sealing, 36 mp's, more ISO options, etc etc etc.

i guess it all depends on the accounting --- is the d800 priced so low because nikon is taking a loss, or, is it due to the deal with sony (IE, less R&D for nikon). these are things we probably will never find out. But, what we will find out soon enough is what the actual specs and price of the 6d will be. If it is priced at $2299, there won't be the big i'm jumping ship situation (the d600 is a nice looking camera, but it's no game changer) ---and I highly doubt the 6d will be a game changer either --- both are more targeted at the consumer crowd, not the pro crowd (with the exception of some pros who may snag either as backup bodies).

I guess we'll see!

Upvote 0
Mt Spokane Photography said:
weekendshooter said:
And yes, I still read CR. I wish NR was half as civilized as (most of) this forum.

Civil and thoughtful posts from all photographers are much appreciated.

Seconded... We try very hard here to keep this place from devolving into what NR forums have become, and it has nothing to do with their choice of camera brands.

Upvote 0
Chuck Alaimo said:
my take on this ---

the d600 with those specs and build is no real threat to canon at $2200. If anything, its a bad move on nikons part because the price gap between it and the d800 is too low. [...]

I think its a shot across the bow of the 5D III, at a introductory price of US$2100 from 3 US different retailers.

is the 5D III worth the approximate $800 difference? To me - no.

Can a 6D be "Canonized" (i.e. crippled enough) to not threaten the 5DIII and complete with the D600? I don't know and i'm afraid to know!

I can't wait to find out :)

Upvote 0
scokar said:
Chuck Alaimo said:
my take on this ---

the d600 with those specs and build is no real threat to canon at $2200. If anything, its a bad move on nikons part because the price gap between it and the d800 is too low. [...]

I think its a shot across the bow of the 5D III, at a introductory price of US$2100 from 3 US different retailers.

Can a 6D be "Canonized" (i.e. crippled enough) to not threaten the 5DIII and complete with the D600? I don't know and i'm afraid to know!

The d800 is the shot across the bow I think. I own and love my 5d3, for the work I do it's a pretty amazing tool. Native ISO to 6400 on the D600, Native on the 5d3 is 25,600 ---and shots are totally usable up to 12,800, and potentially usable even higher than that. To me, that's worth a lot. Weather sealing ---none on the d600. Buffer on the mk3 is already superior to the d800, and I'm guessing that will continue through to the d600. I just don't see this camera really canabalizing sales from either the d800 or the 5d3 - basically because the vast majority who buy this probably wouldn't be buying either the d800 or the 5d3 anyways. In short, this camera neither interests nor worries me (and I was kind of hoping it would, there is a part of me that wouldn't mind having a nikon body just so i can have and use that damn 14-24!!!!!)

Upvote 0
Chuck Alaimo said:
scokar said:
Chuck Alaimo said:
my take on this ---

The d800 is the shot across the bow I think. I own and love my 5d3, for the work I do it's a pretty amazing tool. Native ISO to 6400 on the D600, Native on the 5d3 is 25,600 ---and shots are totally usable up to 12,800, and potentially usable even higher than that. To me, that's worth a lot. Weather sealing ---none on the d600. Buffer on the mk3 is already superior to the d800, and I'm guessing that will continue through to the d600. I just don't see this camera really canabalizing sales from either the d800 or the 5d3 - basically because the vast majority who buy this probably wouldn't be buying either the d800 or the 5d3 anyways. In short, this camera neither interests nor worries me (and I was kind of hoping it would, there is a part of me that wouldn't mind having a nikon body just so i can have and use that damn 14-24!!!!!)

+1. well, 14-24 is enough to tide over some to Nikon.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.