Nikon Mirrorless: Photographers give their first impressions on the new mirrorless system

Jul 28, 2015
Also, I think they also noted that they're releasing 2 cameras - who's to say we're not seeing images from more than one upcoming release? I guess we'll know more by the end of the week.

Look at the latest release

http://www.nikoneye.com/nikon-launches-one-more-teaser-ahead-of-the-announcement/#disqus_thread

And the previous rumour

http://www.nikoneye.com/new-nikon-c...ew-58mm-f-0-95-to-be-released-soon-after-too/

Those are very different cameras (the central hump and the surrounds under the trigger finger).

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Look at the latest release
http://www.nikoneye.com/nikon-launches-one-more-teaser-ahead-of-the-announcement/#disqus_thread
And the previous rumour
http://www.nikoneye.com/new-nikon-c...ew-58mm-f-0-95-to-be-released-soon-after-too/
Those are very different cameras (the central hump and the surrounds under the trigger finger).

Agree we may be seeing two different body sizes for the rumored two different models, but the photos don't exactly give away much.

The 'previous rumor' as you called it above was absurdly thoroughly looked at before:

Full nikon mirrorless.jpg

This just looks like a slightly tinier FF body, perhaps as big as a D7X00 crop camera. If there are two sizes, one would presume this was the bigger one.

But this newer rumor (my pic from earlier on this thread) looks pretty damn similar to this. It may be a smaller camera in this latest video clip, but it also may just be a dude with big hands.

Both the old rumors' and new rumors' shots/screencaps show:
  • EVF centered on the mount, slightly off-center of the body's center line
  • One large knob proud of the top on the right hand side (from the subject's view) right next to the strap eyelet
  • Relatively smooth top without protruding knobs on the left hand side except for the grip
  • The grips' buttons are raised higher than the aforementioned smooth top section
  • A transition from the mount to the 'pentaprism' area that is curved at the base and then a trapezoidal wedge
But there are zero grip differences between the two that we can definitively see because the dude's hands are covering most of it.

So I'm seeing a lot more that's alike between all these rumors than different. If there's something different you can see, I'm genuinely curious -- please present a side by side to show what you mean. (I'm not doubting you -- I just don't see it myself.)

It's possible -- if there are indeed two models at launch -- that the two bodies are identical in outer form factor. We'll see.

- A

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
I agree with most of your comments but if you look at the first photo there is a definite DSLR-style slope to the area around the shutter release, a slope that is clearly absent in the latest shot and I don't think that can be accounted for but the angle of viewing. And the 'prism housing' looks like a different shape.

That's a parallax sort of sitch to me. The latest shot is simply at a lower angle so it's hard to see other features we could see in the earlier ads. That's why you can't see the diopter / eye adjustment knob, the hotshoe, etc.

Also, the latest shot has clearly been massaged in PS and/or was covered up in use to not have a leak or social media reveal. It honestly looks like a gradient fill paint bucket was applied on the 'pentaprism' area.

So I think there's a chance these three shots over time during this campaign are describing the same form factor body:

Concept review.jpg

I also think the three different diameter lenses above are confounding how the mount to 'pentaprism' transition looks, and (call me crazy) that might be deliberate to eff with us. The left shot is a smaller diameter (perhaps a 67?) 24-something slower/longer zoom. The middle could be the 50-ish f/0.95 we've heard about as the barrel would appear to to be sized as big as the mount transition to the pentaprism, which would be enormous. And the third one looks like a 100 macro (or maybe a svelte 35 f1.4) to me. And there are clearly two different sizes of hands here.

I think Nikon is screwing with us here to prevent any clear connecting of dots from happening until launch. I applaud these little cloak and dagger moves -- this is fun for me.

- A

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Updated. Totally forgot about the early screen grab.

That last one looks 35 or 50 Art sized to me (the size/design/depth of the hood is a tell as well), but pics 3 and 4 below may indeed be different lenses. There's no chance the #4 is a 100 f/2.8 -- the hood would likely be circular at that FL.

Concept review.jpg

- A

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Updated. Totally forgot about the early screen grab.

That last one looks 35-50 Art sized to me (the size/design/depth of the hood is a tell as well), but pics 3 and 4 below may indeed be different lenses. There's no chance the #4 is a 100 f/2.8 -- the hood would likely be circular at that FL.

- A

Good analysis. At 100mm prime the hood would probably be longer, but it doesn't have to be circular. The hood on the picture above may belong to a 24-70.
35-50 is a too short range, given the modern sensor resolutions, 15mm range isn't much different from having a prime 35mm and cropping it.
I don't know if Nikon will be making duplicates of the same fixed/zoom ranges or create a new unique line of unusual focal lengths, like 30-80...

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Good analysis. At 100mm prime the hood would probably be longer, but it doesn't have to be circular. The hood on the picture above may belong to a 24-70.
35-50 is a too short range, given the modern sensor resolutions, 15mm range isn't much different from having a prime 35mm and cropping it.
I don't know if Nikon will be making duplicates of the same fixed/zoom ranges or create a new unique line of unusual focal lengths, like 30-80...

Forgive me, Lens #4 above is a prime as it only has one focus ring. I meant 35 or 50.

- A

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
If there is an adapter, I see no reason, why only some, but not all F-Mount lenses should work with those new cameras. Including all third party lenses for F-Mount.
F mount is not all-electric, but has a series of mechanical and electrical features added over time. Supporting all the existing combinations of them may be unfeasible.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Concept review.jpg

FYI on my guesses -- I didn't do so well. Post-leak, we can now identify the lenses above as (in order):

24-70 f/4 (Which I originally guessed when it dropped :p, but Neuro and others convinced me two telescoping tubes = 24-120 or longer)
24-70 f/4 (yeah, surprised me too)
Either the 50 f/1.8 or 35 f/1.8 (cannot tell from that shot)
35 f/1.8

- A

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Did anyone note that the adapter will offer AF on only 19 lenses?

At 3:20

A number of older lenses will get aperture control but not AF control. But I hadn't seen the number. That seems hideously small and I question if Kai had a manual at time of use to know this.

Love Kai, but we don't even have definitive written sources to check on this yet -- do we?

- A

Upvote 0