Nikon - their biggest mistake?

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
D850 is sweet. Gave it a hard look when I was shopping 5D4. The giant pile of glass behind me kept me in place.
D850 is indeed very good but you have done well to get a 5D4. I also like my 5D4 a lot! As an analog EOS user with many Canon lenses I too entered the digital world with a Canon DSLR (and other Canon DSLRs followed suit!).

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
According to what I see on The Digital Picture, when I compare the R5 and D850, the D850 has less noise even at 12800 and the images are sharper. Is this correct or am I interoperating it wrong?
Share the link of what you're comparing if you want to have input on it. Otherwise, you'll risk misunderstandings.

The DPR tools shows no difference in my eyes:

If anything, the R5 has a tiny, tiny bit more detail in the hair. But that's probably more imagination or lens performance than sensors.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

Share the link of what you're comparing if you want to have input on it. Otherwise, you'll risk misunderstandings.

ISO 6400

ISO 12800

edit: The Z7 is the same sensor as the D850, unless I am very much mistaken.

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
ISO 6400

ISO 12800

edit: The Z7 is the same sensor as the D850, unless I am very much mistaken.
Those results differ quite drastically from the ones I linked to, from the DPR studio comparison tools.

To me it looks like the TDP Z7 images have some Form of NR applied. They have definitely less noise and almost no color noise, but edges appear to also be smoother than on the R5.

According to PTP, this is expected above ISO 6400, but I am not seeing the same difference in the DPR files.

I'd take a look at the DPR shots if I were you. I guess the choice of RAW converter could play a role here. I'm not familiar with the conversion procedure for either site at the top of my head.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

Those results differ quite drastically from the ones I linked to, from the DPR studio comparison tools.

To me it looks like the TDP Z7 images have some Form of NR applied. They have definitely less noise and almost no color noise, but edges appear to also be smoother than on the R5.

According to PTP, this is expected above ISO 6400, but I am not seeing the same difference in the DPR files.

I'd take a look at the DPR shots if I were you. I guess the choice of RAW converter could play a role here. I'm not familiar with the conversion procedure for either site at the top of my head.

The DPReview sample images have a weird purple effect to all the d850 and z7 images not present in any other camera, it is very weird. But other than that, the two look comparable enough that I wouldn't be too fussed.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

I take very little notice of the fine details of comparisons on sites like DPR and TDP. As good as these sites are, and TDP in particular, which is really good, the comparisons are just approximations.

I was personally just having a wee nose to see what I am getting or missing out on, ether way. Both sensors seem to be pretty close, but I keep hearing the R5 is the 'best low light ever'. I think every camera has claimed it had the best lowlight performance ever, but most of them aren't too far apart.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
Well if R5 is very good at low light and D850 is very close (or is it vice versa? :ROFLMAO: ) and since I occasionally shoot some landscape astrophotography (when I am lucky to find the correct place the correct time) let's continue with a funny dilemma (of which I know the answer to but still it is kind of funny):

Do I get an ultrawide lens for my D850 for low light shooting or
Do I get an EOS R5 for my ultrawide Canon lenses? :D

OK were I to buy something I would get the EOS R5 (since I have a lot UWA lenses) but still I could not avoid mentioning the above :D

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

Well if R5 is very good at low light and D850 is very close (or is it vice versa? :ROFLMAO: ) and since I occasionally shoot some landscape astrophotography (when I am lucky to find the correct place the correct time) let's continue with a funny dilemma (of which I know the answer to but still it is kind of funny):

Do I get an ultrawide lens for my D850 for low light shooting or
Do I get an EOS R5 for my ultrawide Canon lenses? :D

OK were I to buy something I would get the EOS R5 (since I have a lot UWA lenses) but still I could not avoid mentioning the above :D

Of course, buy the camera for your lenses. The widest I have is 50mm, the widest I want to go is 85mm. 50mm feels really wide to me and I rarely shoot it. I spend most of my time on the 300 f/2.8 and crop in 50% from that(so I need a 500/600).

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
As I wrote in detail in this thread: https://www.canonrumors.com/forum/threads/my-experience-from-canon-5d4-to-nikon-d850.37563/ I moved to Nikon F (just over a year ago) after twenty years with Canon. The D850 is the best DSLR ever made (my opinion, but also the opinion of several others). I love my 500PF lens, which no one else matches. It is also worth noting Nikon still makes and sells a (very expensive) 35mm film camera, which Canon has completely abandoned.

So why does Canon have a huge lead in sales? I will speculate it is due to the following...

1) Canon customer service and repair service is noticeably better than Nikon.

2) Canon has better marketing that includes sponsorship of big name pro shooters.

3) Canon has had a simple and consistent roadmap of lenses, meaning (as far as I know) every EF lens of every generation works with every EOS camera of every generation. Nikon has a confusing roadmap where generations change and lenses from certain eras do not work with cameras from certain eras, older lenses have physical aperture rings while newer ones don't, etc.

4) The 500PF lens, which is in huge demand and might have pushed some new users to Nikon, is perpetually out of stock to this day and always has been. I lucked out getting one quickly, but customers are on a waiting list up to eight months to get one.

5) Canon got an early lead in digital, with the 5D series and 1D series large megapixel sensors, when Nikon was stuck at 12MP for years. Many people jumped to Canon in the early days of digital and once they are invested in a system it's hard to win them back.

Upvote 0