Nikon to Announce 200-500mm Lens?

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<p>A few patents showing optical formulas for a 200-500mm lens from Nikon have appeared.</p>
<p>Nikon Rumors reports that Nikon will indeed announce such a lens, though at present, the speed of the lens is unknown.</p>
<p>Canon is also <a href="http://www.canonrumors.com/2015/05/canon-developing-a-new-slower-supertelephoto-lens-cr2/" target="_blank">rumored to be developing a supertelephoto lens</a> with an aperture slower than f/4, it’s unknown if the development includes a zoom.</p>
<p>More to come…</p>

Mar 25, 2011
candyman said:
Would be nice to have a 400-800 zoom of Canon. But with profits dropping 16%, you wonder what that will do with R&D budget in the Camera section ::)

The high end lens business is a different market, and not impacted by the same factors as the low end business. A DO super zoom lens would also be interesting, but expensive. the issue is that Canon does not make lenses slower than f/5.6, and the 800mm L is already f/5.6, so such a zoom is going to be very large, even if DO.

Upvote 0

candyman

R6, R8, M6 II, M5
Sep 27, 2011
www.flickr.com
Mt Spokane Photography said:
candyman said:
Would be nice to have a 400-800 zoom of Canon. But with profits dropping 16%, you wonder what that will do with R&D budget in the Camera section ::)

The high end lens business is a different market, and not impacted by the same factors as the low end business. A DO super zoom lens would also be interesting, but expensive. the issue is that Canon does not make lenses slower than f/5.6, and the 800mm L is already f/5.6, so such a zoom is going to be very large, even if DO.

I see.
I better stop dreaming about it ;D ;D

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
candyman said:
candyman said:

I see.

That is one of the advantages of a small format sensors like 1 inch. The G3 X has a 24-600mm equivalent zoom and still gives a much better IQ than the very small sensor P&S cameras. The price is too high though. A person could buy a SL-1 plus a Tamron or Sigma long zoom for very little more. It would be much much larger though.

Upvote 0
Jan 21, 2015
candyman said:
candyman said:

I see.

That is one of the advantages of a small format sensors like 1 inch. The G3 X has a 24-600mm equivalent zoom and still gives a much better IQ than the very small sensor P&S cameras. The price is too high though. A person could buy a SL-1 plus a Tamron or Sigma long zoom for very little more. It would be much much larger though.
BTW G3x seems to outperform Tamron 150-600mm & Sony A7II combo at 600mm (in sharpness, at least).
http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=27180.0

Upvote 0