Nikon To Announce 24-70 f/2.8 VR, 24 f/1.8, 200-500 f/5.6 VR

A counterpart to Nikon at the same price point is possible if Canon were to make this a full frame non-L & non-DO lens.

This lens would sport a STM focus motor rather than USM like the following lenses below.

- EF 24-105mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM
- EF 40mm f/2.8 STM
- EF 50mm f/1.8 STM

In the 24-105mm zoom here are the prices of the following

$999 - Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Lens
$599 - Canon EF 24-105mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Lens
$899 - Sigma 24-105mm f/4 DG OS HSM Art Lens

Upvote 0
Feb 8, 2013
Very interesting. TDP has an assortment of MTF charts in the 100-400Mk2 review (http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-100-400mm-f-4.5-5.6-L-IS-II-USM-Lens.aspx), and if I'm reading it right (the thin black lines should represent the same information as the blue lines on the Nikon MTF), then the Meridional resolution is virtually identical, and sagittal resolution on the 200-500 at 500mm should be sharper in the middle but a bit weaker in the corners, which is what I expect practical results to show (given that it's the only difference).
Given that it's running at 500mm however, the 200-500 should be a wholesale improvement in reach over anything similar currently available.

Very impressive, and definitely not wasted on crop with that extremely high level of center sharpness, and the slightly weaker corners help that case as well.

Upvote 0
Feb 8, 2013
http://www.lenstip.com/448.4-Lens_review-Nikon_Nikkor_AF-S_80-400_mm_f_4.5-5.6G_ED_VR_Image_resolution.html

http://www.lenstip.com/439.4-Lens_review-Canon_EF_100-400_mm_f_4.5-5.6L_IS_II_USM_Image_resolution.html

Here's a new "more direct" comparison between the Nikon AF-S 80-400 and Canon 100-400Mk2 that shows the resolution disparity between the two pretty well (the D3x and 5D3 are similar in resolution, but the extra 2MP on the Nikon body does boost the result for that lens a little).

Upvote 0
Implementation of IS on 24/1.4, 24-70/2.8 as a reply to these announcements is a CR0 to say the least. First of all IS targets movie mode people, with wider apertures is not an issue. However, it may start to be an issue with the rumored D5 for shooting movie mode in ISO (rumored) as expandable as 405k !! And 4K too. So we're not talking stills pics here.

Now, even if there is some target group here, "Canon does not like to imitate others" Masaya Maeda http://www.canonrumors.com/2015/07/a-candid-interview-with-masaya-maeda/ so I don't see Canon rushing in to ...fill-in the gap.

For N@kon pricing perhaps it's all about the label. Expeed is based on Fujitsu/Panasonic (now acquired by Socionext), sensor is based on SONY, even Fluorite glass is pioneered by Canon. I see N@kon less and less, that's why it costs less and less.

Upvote 0
K said:
Waiting to see how this 24-70 will perform.

Nikon merely adding VR to the same optics would be a loser in my opinion. Canon's 24-70 is superior in image quality.

Now, if they match Canon's optics, have VR and come in around $2,200 or less...that will be a big, big win.

It will be hard to imagine Canon being able to implement IS on theirs for less than $2,500 judging the trends on L glass.

The pricing is suspect to me. Either the rumor has it too low, or my guess is the optics are not going to be updated to Canon's level.

If the pricing is right, and the optics better - that will prove Nikon to be a much better value over Canon on this lens.

The Nikon 24-70 is a bit better than the mkI from Canon. But the new mkII is a bit better than the Nikon. Canon have stated that if they fitted an IS unit, that the IQ would suffer a bit. So we can either have the sharpest 24-70 f2.8 (non IS) or a very good 24-70 f2.8 with IS.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
9VIII said:
Very interesting. TDP has an assortment of MTF charts in the 100-400Mk2 review (http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-100-400mm-f-4.5-5.6-L-IS-II-USM-Lens.aspx), and if I'm reading it right (the thin black lines should represent the same information as the blue lines on the Nikon MTF), then the Meridional resolution is virtually identical, and sagittal resolution on the 200-500 at 500mm should be sharper in the middle but a bit weaker in the corners, which is what I expect practical results to show (given that it's the only difference).
Given that it's running at 500mm however, the 200-500 should be a wholesale improvement in reach over anything similar currently available.

Very impressive, and definitely not wasted on crop with that extremely high level of center sharpness, and the slightly weaker corners help that case as well.

Take those MTFs with a pinch of salt. They are all theoretical for a perfectly constructed example of the lens. Roger's and objektivetest's direct measurements give lower values in camera-independent measurements. And the sharp 400mm f/5.6 has surprisingly low values from Canon.

The real test for me will be comparing the 200-500mm directly with the Sigma and Tamron 150-600s at 500mm, where they are still very good - the 600 drops down. If the Nikon outperforms them, then the 200-500 on a Nikon without an AA filter would be temtpting.

Upvote 0
Feb 8, 2013
Actually I was surprised at how well the Lenstip review of the 100-400Mk2 lines up with the MTF chart. The MTF predicts virtually no drop in corner sharpness and at least that review agrees.
On the other hand, the Sigma 150-600 Sport is supposed to be sharper in every way than the 150-600 C, but TDP managed to get a really bad copy for their IQ tool and the cheaper lens performs better in the corners.

I suppose that's one reason Roger is giving us a "variance" graph along with the MTF charts being put up on TDP. It'll be really interesting to watch that list grow.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
9VIII said:
Actually I was surprised at how well the Lenstip review of the 100-400Mk2 lines up with the MTF chart. The MTF predicts virtually no drop in corner sharpness and at least that review agrees.
On the other hand, the Sigma 150-600 Sport is supposed to be sharper in every way than the 150-600 C, but TDP managed to get a really bad copy for their IQ tool and the cheaper lens performs better in the corners.

I suppose that's one reason Roger is giving us a "variance" graph along with the MTF charts being put up on TDP. It'll be really interesting to watch that list grow.

Compare the absolute measured values with those put out by Canon. As Roger wrote his measurements were always lower.

Lenstip looked at the new Nikon 80-400 yesterday and pronounced that it is not as sharp in the centre at 400 as the Canon 100-400 II and much worse at the edges.

Upvote 0
One interesting aspect is that the weight of the Nikon 200-500 is a staggering 2300g compared to the Canon 100-400 MkII's 1570g

As expected. The constant f/5.6 aperture at 500mm is as much a feature as it is a burden. That is likely why they didn't go 600mm like the others. But it also means you should be able to mount a TC without worrying about your aperture when you zoom.

Canon does not like to imitate others

marketing BS. The 200-400 canon wouldn't exist was it not because nikon made one first. The added TC was a nice bonus, but ultimately it is basically a reactionary lens with some value added. The 5Ds would probably not been rushed with that old sensor was it not for the D800, and canon wouldn't be dipping their toes in mirrorless had everybody else not done so. They all copy each other. Nikon sony do it too. Apple copies google, and vice versa. This is how it has always been and will always be. All these companies like you to think they are not affected by the competition. That is just marketing puffing.

Having said that the new canon 24-70 will have IS, when it is due. But that is at least 4+ years from now. They won't just rush this project because making a new lens from design to commercial production isn't that simple even if they just got started this week. Just looking at nikon's own video on this lens, they really took their time to not just slap IS on their old design.

http://nikonrumors.com/2015/08/04/new-philosophy-of-nikkor-video-with-some-technical-details-on-the-24-70mm-f2-8e-ed-vr-lens.aspx/

So you can imagine adding IS to the existing design of the canon isn't trivial either and likely go past as much optimizations. That on top of competing for resources that are currently working on other things. It is clear nikon wanted IS/VR on their old model released about 8 years ago. But seems like just as canon found out in the alleged prototypes with IS, the lens gets larger fast making its commercial production tricky. Nikon just worked longer on the problem. Canon just moved on. That is all.

To me the really interesting part of this is the set of 1.8 primes, which at this point are unmatched by anybody

With 20, 24, 28, 35, 50, 85 already in place, if joined by a sony-like 135 f1.8 would really crown it.

The other interesting bit is that the 14-24 f/2.8 was the same age as the 24-70 but did not get refreshed yet. I was expecting both to be launched side by side. I wonder if they will keep it f/2.8 or compromise it to f/4 like canon did just to achieve a bit more FOV or if they are going all out and keeping it f/2.8 but going wider. Regardless, a refresh even of the 14-24 at f/2.8 designed to the demands of high MP sony sensors will be interesting. In particular if they start using some of the tech they used on the 24-70, like that aspherical ED glass over conventional aspherical glass, and the HRI (high refractive index) glass elements. It will be one to watch for.

Sounds like a the gasps of a dying company
sounds like the gasps of a fanboy.

Upvote 0
Feb 8, 2013
AlanF said:
9VIII said:

Compare the absolute measured values with those put out by Canon. As Roger wrote his measurements were always lower.

Lenstip looked at the new Nikon 80-400 yesterday and pronounced that it is not as sharp in the centre at 400 as the Canon 100-400 II and much worse at the edges.

Indeed.

9VIII said:
http://www.lenstip.com/448.4-Lens_review-Nikon_Nikkor_AF-S_80-400_mm_f_4.5-5.6G_ED_VR_Image_resolution.html

http://www.lenstip.com/439.4-Lens_review-Canon_EF_100-400_mm_f_4.5-5.6L_IS_II_USM_Image_resolution.html

Here's a new "more direct" comparison between the Nikon AF-S 80-400 and Canon 100-400Mk2 that shows the resolution disparity between the two pretty well (the D3x and 5D3 are similar in resolution, but the extra 2MP on the Nikon body does boost the result for that lens a little).

And the Nikon MTF chart basically says as much.

Upvote 0
My brother told me about the Nikon 200-500 last night (he preordered one) but did not mention price. When I saw today how cheap it is, I was shocked. I am positive they will sell a ton of these and it is almost enough to make me switch to Nikon. (Except I find their bodies too confusing and not nearly as intuitive as Canon).

Upvote 0
Jul 20, 2010
Hi,
MrFotoFool said:
My brother told me about the Nikon 200-500 last night (he preordered one) but did not mention price. When I saw today how cheap it is, I was shocked. I am positive they will sell a ton of these and it is almost enough to make me switch to Nikon. (Except I find their bodies too confusing and not nearly as intuitive as Canon).
Base on the price, my friend might be interested, but just wonder why didn't it come with the Nano Crystal Coating??

Have a nice day.

Upvote 0
...looks the same crappy Nikon vibrating tripod mount. When will they ever learn?

...looks like Tamron and Sigma are taking business from Nikon and by implication Canon with their 100-400 as well as the gold plated 200-400-560.

It could beat Tam/Sig at 500 because - in order to make an impression - optical engineers could hopefully be concentrating on the 500 end for this one.

But like the Tam/Sig it will be most unlikely to be made in Japan.

Upvote 0

RGF

How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
Jul 13, 2012
Re: Nikon 200-500f5.6 Rumored Price Under $1,400

Eldar said:
Well ... Canon has the 200-400 f4L IS 1.4x, which covers the same focal length (and some).

But then you get about seven of these Nikon lenses for one Canon lens ... Eehh ... but who needs seven 200-500 lenses?? ::)

and just under 2 if you count the weight.

200-500 is much easier to hand hold.

Time will tell if it build to withstand daily use.

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
dilbert said:
$950 to $1399 ... that's a 47% increase on the Tamron's price. Personally I wouldn't call a 47% difference close but maybe you have different standards? :)

I don't spend percentages, I spend absolute amounts.

2 cents is 100% more than 1 cent. But it's still close. In the realm of photography gear, $450 isn't that much.

A question more appropriate for percentages is: does one bring 47% more to the table than the other? That's a subjective call, naturally.

Upvote 0