No Canon here

Sep 25, 2010
neuroanatomist said:
It's interesting to see people's opinions, but ultimately what people think is irrelevant. What matters is how what people think translates into what they do, and more specifically what they buy. For 14 years and counting, the majority have bought Canon.

Yup, voting with your wallet is what counts.

Upvote 0
Dec 19, 2014
old-pr-pix said:
Actually there is Canon in the survey... just in a different category. Canon has two spots (6th and 10th place) in the Best ILC for 2016. Still not relevant since these are just 'clicks' in an Internet poll, not purchases.

Half of the choices in this category are DSLRs, which goes against the grain at DPR, where these are proclaimed by most folks as dinosaurs. DPR's position on Canon has improved, and the site does have some very good features on individual photographers. However I have almost completely quit going to that site, and if I do, I ignore people's comments. If being a cretin was grounds for blocking people from the forums, there wouldn't be very many left.

Upvote 0

romanr74

I see, thus I am
Aug 4, 2012
Switzerland
neuroanatomist said:
It's interesting to see people's opinions, but ultimately what people think is irrelevant. What matters is how what people think translates into what they do, and more specifically what they buy. For 14 years and counting, the majority have bought Canon.

until they stop buying...

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
romanr74 said:
neuroanatomist said:

Or until the sun becomes a red giant and engulfs the earth. Whichever comes first. ::)

Upvote 0

romanr74

I see, thus I am
Aug 4, 2012
Switzerland
neuroanatomist said:
romanr74 said:
neuroanatomist said:

Or until the sun becomes a red giant and engulfs the earth. Whichever comes first. ::)

that is clearly the only threat to canon ;D

Upvote 0
Nov 1, 2012
neuroanatomist said:

I mean, we chose Trump. I don't trust general public opinion much.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
tpatana said:
neuroanatomist said:

But the pre-election polls said we wouldn't...which is exactly my point about about what people think vs. what they do.

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
romanr74 said:
that is clearly the only threat to canon ;D
Have to agree. :) Canon makes the best gear and has the best support. I've contacted them many times asking many different questions and have always recieved relevant answers within a few days including weekends. The only bad things Canon made yet are the focus-by-wire technology, the re-definition of Full-Time Manual focusing and Initial focus reset. :(

Upvote 0

romanr74

I see, thus I am
Aug 4, 2012
Switzerland
neuroanatomist said:
tpatana said:
neuroanatomist said:

But the pre-election polls said we wouldn't...which is exactly my point about about what people think vs. what they do.

are you suggesting canon is so disliked that no one publicly admits to buy its products?

Upvote 0
romanr74 said:
neuroanatomist said:
tpatana said:
neuroanatomist said:

are you suggesting canon is so disliked that no one publicly admits to buy its products?

The reason doesn't necessarily have to be the same.

The similarity is in a type of bias (unrepresentative samples) which makes certain surveys poor predictors of an activity.

It could be because Canon users are under-represented in the DPR readership, or because Canon users choose to go out and shoot instead of going through surveys- who can tell? That will require another study ;)

Upvote 0