November Super Moon

gregorywood said:
bholliman said:
I shot the moon last night (11/13/16) close to the horizon, but was disappointed with the sharpness of the images. I used my 5DsR with 300 f/2.8 and 1.4xIII extender on a tripod, live view remote shutter, etc. The image below was shot at f/4 1/320 ISO 160, but tried other shutter speeds and apertures with roughly the same results. The lack of sharpness may have been due to atmospheric haze since it was fairly close to the horizon.

I plan to shoot it again tonight in a better setting (hopefully reflecting off a pond if the wind is still and sky clear). Can others share their camera settings that have worked well in the past?

I typically use f/8 - f/11, ISO 100 and spot metering, which have worked well for me. You're essentially shooting the sun, reflected off the moon - a light source, if you will.

I found somewhere the "Lunar 11 (or looney 11) rule" that is similar to the "Sunny 16 rule". I just play with the exposure in Manual mode and tweak the sharpness a touch as needed. I use the 10 second timer, mirror lock up, on a tripod with IS turned off.

Hope that helps.
Greg

Thanks Greg. I'll try this if I get another chance in the next few days. The clouds rolled in today, so looks like I'll miss the best night.

Upvote 0

JMZawodny

1Dx2, 7D2 and lots of wonderful glass!
Sep 19, 2014
Virginia
Joe.Zawodny.com
The moon came up a bit more to the south than I had planned and the foreground I ended up with simply did not work. So I went back the house and shot this image after the sunlight was almost completely gone with only the last bits of blue remaining. (Quality decreased to get the file size reduced below the 5MB limit here)

Attachments

• JMZ03528_crop copy.jpg
    JMZ03528_crop copy.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 185
Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2012
Canada
JMZawodny said:
The moon came up a bit more to the south than I had planned and the foreground I ended up with simply did not work. So I went back the house and shot this image after the sunlight was almost completely gone with only the last bits of blue remaining. (Quality decreased to get the file size reduced below the 5MB limit here)

Nice shot. Well done, JMZawodny.

Upvote 0
I was unbelievably lucky. The supermoon rose almost in line with a city water tower in the distance, so I decided to use the water tower in the composition. I was even able to get the water tower's near-total "eclipse" of the supermoon. (I was amazed at how taking one step left or right made a noticeable difference in lining up the water tower and moon.)

Rather than post four separate images, here they are consolidated into one.

Supermoon_eclipse_large.jpg

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2012
Canada
Go_Jim said:
I was unbelievably lucky. The supermoon rose almost in line with a city water tower in the distance, so I decided to use the water tower in the composition. I was even able to get the water tower's near-total "eclipse" of the supermoon. (I was amazed at how taking one step left or right made a noticeable difference in lining up the water tower and moon.)

Cool shots, Go Jim. Welcome to CR.

Upvote 0
Go_Jim said:

Supermoon_eclipse_large.jpg
That's awesome! Well done 8)

Upvote 0
Was fun hunting for the big cookie in the sky hope you guys had fun as well!

Shot on 1DX MK II with 70-200mm f2.8L IS MKII & 400mm F2.8L IS MK I shot with HDR blending

Attachments

• 15123357_10209831221350890_8518546138648833936_o.jpg
    15123357_10209831221350890_8518546138648833936_o.jpg
    480.4 KB · Views: 188
  • 15110947_10209831221030882_2814604181499478795_o.jpg
    15110947_10209831221030882_2814604181499478795_o.jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 193
Upvote 0
bholliman said:
gregorywood said:
bholliman said:
I shot the moon last night (11/13/16) close to the horizon, but was disappointed with the sharpness of the images. I used my 5DsR with 300 f/2.8 and 1.4xIII extender on a tripod, live view remote shutter, etc. The image below was shot at f/4 1/320 ISO 160, but tried other shutter speeds and apertures with roughly the same results. The lack of sharpness may have been due to atmospheric haze since it was fairly close to the horizon.

I plan to shoot it again tonight in a better setting (hopefully reflecting off a pond if the wind is still and sky clear). Can others share their camera settings that have worked well in the past?

I typically use f/8 - f/11, ISO 100 and spot metering, which have worked well for me. You're essentially shooting the sun, reflected off the moon - a light source, if you will.

I found somewhere the "Lunar 11 (or looney 11) rule" that is similar to the "Sunny 16 rule". I just play with the exposure in Manual mode and tweak the sharpness a touch as needed. I use the 10 second timer, mirror lock up, on a tripod with IS turned off.

Hope that helps.
Greg

Thanks Greg. I'll try this if I get another chance in the next few days. The clouds rolled in today, so looks like I'll miss the best night.

The atmospherics killed the 5DS resolution. You could see a "boiling look" on the moon's surface when zoomed all the way in on the LCD during live view. The higher the shutter speed, the better chance of getting the turbulence effect reduced. I turn on IS to focus, then shut it off to shoot. Once I have the moon centered and focused and IS off, I leave the live view fully zoomed in to see when the vibrations are gone.
Here's a shot from 2013 and same location. There was zero atmospheric distortion! At 25 degrees, there is no heat rising to cause the distortions.

Super Moon editing before & after © Keith Breazeal by Keith Breazeal, on Flickr

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Lovely shots here!

Somehow I feel a little bit insecure to add my results as well.

As always in Germany when it comes to any kind of interesting astronomical event the weather is playing against me. Yesterday it was a lovely clear and sunny day all day long also with low humidity and I was expecting quite good seeing. But in the evening when the moon was rising the forcasted weather front was arriving a little bit early. So it started to get cloudy and overcast I only had a short period with long breaks from 18:00 to 19:00 where I could do my shots.
The results are so-so.

Attachments

• supermoon1.JPG
    supermoon1.JPG
    528.6 KB · Views: 168
  • supermoon2.JPG
    supermoon2.JPG
    767.1 KB · Views: 169
Upvote 0