Off Brand: Sony Announces the A7 & A7R Full Frame Mirrorless Cameras

Re: Off Brand: Sony Announces the A7 & A7R Full Frame Mirrorless Cameras

sanj said:
I see your points.
It would be great to have better battery life always. Of course. Be it our cell or camera.
But 300 does not sound that horrible to me if I were on vacation.

300 seems a decent enough compromise given the fact that I get super IQ in a smaller/lighter package. If the charger is not too heavy, it could stay in my pocket to add juice while having coffee or lunch.

Not arguing, but thinking aloud that 300 should be enough with planning for a smaller package.

The A7 and A7r both use the same batteries as the Nex cameras. The current charge is a Little large to put in a pocket although it looks like they are making a new one. You can fit about 4-5 batteries in the space of one charge. I have found I can live with around 3 batteries on my Nex6. (Which has around the same number of shots.)

But having a camera that can charge through USB is very useful. I often take a Apple charger with me and a USB cable. That way I can charge my phone or my camera if needed. My cousin bough a roll out solar power USB charger that is capable of charging an iPad in 30 minutes. I could see that being useful on travel.

Sony should have induced a charger for both of these cameras. But I now have one so it is not really needed. Also after a while getting a charger with a camera gets a little ridiculous when you buy into a system. I now have 3 Canon LP-E6 battery chargers.

Upvote 0

Rienzphotoz

Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
Aug 22, 2012

sanj said:
I believe that if one a person is taking more than 300 photos on a vacation while walking around is being trigger happy.
Does one really see 300 great images during a single day???? Really!
Such a person would need to carry 8+ rolls of 36 exp film in the old days. Wow!

I think the A7's are superb for the discerning photographer who wants to travel light.
Do you have children? ... I have 3, and they are always active ... when we go on vacation we are out for over 14 hours every single day ... that's just 21 photos an hour, which is nothing, coz I easily shoot about a 1000 photos a day on vacation .... now if you are specifically referring to 300 "great images" then my lips are sealed :-X :-[
During film days, I use to shoot 3 to 4 rolls a day (if I was on vacation) and then cringe when some of the developed shots were sh!tty and I still had to pay for them ... Thank God we live in the digital age.

Upvote 0

Zv said:
Sorry but am with Neuro on this one regarding battery life.

300 shots or less?? That is absolutely useless as an all day walkaround camera. Extra batteries? Forget that. Based on that performance I would need to buy at least 4 additional batteries just to get a decent number of shots. (Not to mention the additional cost of buying some chargers). I recently went to Kyoto and took about 800 shots with just one battery and it still had juice at the end of the day.

And battery grip negates the size and portability advantage. I like my cameras ungripped.

I don't think this is replacing DSLRs just yet.

considering the battery life issue --- and thinking of the honeymoon I recently got back from. I shot around 2600 images ---over 7 days - on a 6d, had to swap batteries once. If i had the sony, I would have had to keep a fresh battery handy for each day and then some. So charge and change each day, vs charge and change once over the course of 7 days - which would you rather do?

sanj said:
I believe that if one a person is taking more than 300 photos on a vacation while walking around is being trigger happy.

I think the A7's are superb for the discerning photographer who wants to travel light.

See above, I actually would have shot more while in jamaica but my limit was more based on only having 4 16gig cards on me --- if you love to shoot and you go from buffalo ny to paradise, the only way your not shooting a ton is if you just don't bring your camera!

it's odd too, because I do consider myself a working pro, but, on vacation i'd say the ratio was about 15% pro shots and the rest total tourist. All the shanty towns on the way to negril, yup, i was shooting from a moving bus. On the tours, yup, lots of shooting from a moving car. LOL - what do you expect from a photographer whose never been to the tropics? It's freaking paradise!!!!

Upvote 0

LightandMotion said:
Been shooting all week with it now. Dynamic range over a stop better than my 1dx. Noise is similar.

Summary from a Canon Landscape Photographer

Sony A7R Cons:

- Needs battery grip to balance EF lenses properly.
- Slow autofocus with Metabones Adaptor. One shot AF is slow and AI servo is not accurate.
- Only 4 fps, so not suitable for sport
- Battery charger not included. The battery charges from either an AC or USB source, in camera. Separate charger is $79. If you have a battery grip and don’t have a separate charger, you need to remove the grip and place individual batteries in the camera body to charge.

Sony A7R Pros:

- When used with native FE lenses there is fast and accurate AF. It is a perfect setup for street photography. Remove the grip, and you’re good to go incognito.
- Fantastic Sensor with great dynamic range. Arguably the best of any current DSLR.
- Low noise. ISO up to 51200, still very usable
- 36.4 megapixel sensor – over 50% more than any current Canon DSLR sensor.
- When used with a grip, EF lenses (up to 100mm) balances well.
- Excellent EVF, Easy to manual focus with focus magnifier
- Customizable buttons and controls.
- Cost $2398.00 AUD – likely to be 1/3 the price of any future large megapixel Canon offering.

In Summary:

A great addition to the kit of any current Canon Landscape Photographer, particularly if your clients favour large prints. You can use all your existing favourite EF lenses, and manual focus is easy and quick. Factor in the cost of a grip, extra battery and an external charger though.

A7R-1200.jpg

canon+and+sony+-1200.jpg

Thanks Light and Motion, this is exactly the kind of info I've been looking for. I'm primarily a landscape shooter as well and without much money to spend on the hobby am looking for the biggest bang for my buck in whatever I end up getting. I couldn't decide between a 5D3 or a 6D but once Sony announced the A7R I've been anxiously awaiting to hear how it performs in the landscape arena.

I'd be interested to see any of your landscape shots that you've taken with it!

Upvote 0
Apr 24, 2012

lpwphoto said:
LightandMotion said:
Been shooting all week with it now. Dynamic range over a stop better than my 1dx. Noise is similar.

Summary from a Canon Landscape Photographer

Sony A7R Cons:

- Needs battery grip to balance EF lenses properly.
- Slow autofocus with Metabones Adaptor. One shot AF is slow and AI servo is not accurate.
- Only 4 fps, so not suitable for sport
- Battery charger not included. The battery charges from either an AC or USB source, in camera. Separate charger is $79. If you have a battery grip and don’t have a separate charger, you need to remove the grip and place individual batteries in the camera body to charge.

Sony A7R Pros:

- When used with native FE lenses there is fast and accurate AF. It is a perfect setup for street photography. Remove the grip, and you’re good to go incognito.
- Fantastic Sensor with great dynamic range. Arguably the best of any current DSLR.
- Low noise. ISO up to 51200, still very usable
- 36.4 megapixel sensor – over 50% more than any current Canon DSLR sensor.
- When used with a grip, EF lenses (up to 100mm) balances well.
- Excellent EVF, Easy to manual focus with focus magnifier
- Customizable buttons and controls.
- Cost $2398.00 AUD – likely to be 1/3 the price of any future large megapixel Canon offering.

In Summary:

A great addition to the kit of any current Canon Landscape Photographer, particularly if your clients favour large prints. You can use all your existing favourite EF lenses, and manual focus is easy and quick. Factor in the cost of a grip, extra battery and an external charger though.

A7R-1200.jpg

canon+and+sony+-1200.jpg

Thanks Light and Motion, this is exactly the kind of info I've been looking for. I'm primarily a landscape shooter as well and without much money to spend on the hobby am looking for the biggest bang for my buck in whatever I end up getting. I couldn't decide between a 5D3 or a 6D but once Sony announced the A7R I've been anxiously awaiting to hear how it performs in the landscape arena.

You can read reviews around.

For slow, controlled situations like landscapes the a7r is the absolute best.

Upvote 0

lpwphoto said:

Both images with A7R and Zeiss ZE, 15mm f2.8. First image 30min after sunset, second image 25min before sunrise this morning.

swirlpools1editFINAL-1400.jpg

Top+of+thr+Motning+FlateditFINAL-1400.jpg

Upvote 0

eml58

1Dx
Aug 26, 2012
Singapore

LightandMotion said:
Both images with A7R and Zeiss ZE, 15mm f2.8. First image 30min after sunset, second image 25min before sunrise this morning.

Like the 2nd in particular, Lovely.

I have the Zeiss 15f/2.8 Canon mount, unfortunately not been able as yet to get the adaptor for my a7r, so at present just able to utilise with the Zeiss 35f/2.8.

I've not found the Battery Life to be excessively Bad, 300-450 Images seems to be about my best, so it means on a Busy shoot I need perhaps 1 spare charged Battery, recently in Svalbard due to the Cold conditions I was changing my 1Dx Battery about every 2 Hours.

I Like the Camera, see the possibilities, hamstrung by Sony due to quite poor Market implementation but just the same I think Sony have a reasonable winner here, all depends on wether Sony commit to the Lenses and support over the next couple of years. This is where the likes of Canon/Nikon leave Sony behind, support of the product.

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012

Rienzphotoz said:
sanj said:

Do you have children? ... I have 3, and they are always active ... when we go on vacation we are out for over 14 hours every single day ... that's just 21 photos an hour, which is nothing, coz I easily shoot about a 1000 photos a day on vacation .... now if you are specifically referring to 300 "great images" then my lips are sealed :-X :-[
During film days, I use to shoot 3 to 4 rolls a day (if I was on vacation) and then cringe when some of the developed shots were sh!tty and I still had to pay for them ... Thank God we live in the digital age.

Yes, thank God for digital. :)

Upvote 0

Rienzphotoz

Aug 22, 2012

LightandMotion said:
lpwphoto said:

swirlpools1editFINAL-1400.jpg

Top+of+thr+Motning+FlateditFINAL-1400.jpg
MAGNIFICENT!

Upvote 0

Did an event today, and after I got the essential shots with the 1dX, I played around with the A7R. Setup was A7R, 50mm f1.2L, 580EXII with ring flash. After a bit of faffing around, my hit rate was almost as high as the 1dX. Used the 50mm in manual mode, but used focus peaking to manually focus rather than the focus magnifier. Focus peaking is accurate and my hit rate was over 80%. The misses were usually when there were no real defined lines for focus peaking to latch on to. I found the subject's eye worked pretty good for focus peaking.

Yellow worked better than red to define the area of focus (less distracting).

580EXII worked well in manual mode. Obviously doesn't work in ETTL mode, but I generally use manual mode most of the time anyway.

Not as quick/accurate or convenient as the 1dX, but can be used if needed.

Found another 2 cons of the A7R though. Shutter lag is minor, but becomes a pain in events/ wedding photography. Not something that worried me with landscapes. Also on a tripod there can be a bit of camera flex between the body and the grip with a heavy lens (24mmTSE or 15mm Zeiss). The 1dx on the other hand is a rock. If only they had the Sony sensor in a 1d body at the A7R price.

Upvote 0

Rienzphotoz

Aug 22, 2012

Rienzphotoz said:
Does any one know how to change the focus points on Sony a7? like how we choose any of the 61 AF points on Canon
OK, I figured out how to do it ... a bit long winded, but it works. In doing so I found that the sides of the images are horribly soft ... I guess it might be the weakness of the kit lens ... but the center is stunningly sharp.
For those who are like me searching how to change focus points:
Hit "Fn" button, choose "Focus Area" and select "Flexible Spot M" ... then you can use the Control Wheel on the back of the camera to select the focus point.
If anyone knows a faster way, please do share. Thanks

Upvote 0
Mar 27, 2012

LightandMotion said:
580EXII worked well in manual mode. Obviously doesn't work in ETTL mode, but I generally use manual mode most of the time anyway.

If only they had the Sony sensor in a 1d body at the A7R price.

Not familiar with Sony's latest hot shoe, but so the 580EX II will physically fit inside Sony shot shoe and get a fire signal when Sony's shutter is released? (in manual mode)

Upvote 0

drjlo said:
LightandMotion said:

Not familiar with Sony's latest hot shoe, but so the 580EX II will physically fit inside Sony shot shoe and get a fire signal when Sony's shutter is released? (in manual mode)

In short Yes. The hot shoe is a little shorter so the back two pins do not make contact. I understand that Nikon and many other flashes that support M flash mode will also work. I have yet to see a Sony flash that does not need an adapter to work with it. I refuse to buy a Sony flash because I do not want some flimsy adapter between the camera and the flash. So I use my 430EX II on it instead.

Upvote 0

Rienzphotoz

Aug 22, 2012

tcmatthews said:
drjlo said:
LightandMotion said:

In short Yes. The hot shoe is a little shorter so the back two pins do not make contact. I understand that Nikon and many other flashes that support M flash mode will also work. I have yet to see a Sony flash that does not need an adapter to work with it. I refuse to buy a Sony flash because I do not want some flimsy adapter between the camera and the flash. So I use my 430EX II on it instead.
I just tried it with my 600 EX RT, Yongnuo YN568EXII (Nikon mount) and Sunpak RD2000 (Canon mount) ... all of them work very well up to 1/250sec (obviously, everything has to be in manual mode, coz although the shutter triggers the flash the camera does not register the flash). I find the hotshoe fitting is extremely tight, it's ok with the metal footing of Canon and Yongnuo but I'm afraid the plastic feet of Sunkpak could easily give up the ghost ... you can literally rip it right off if you are not careful. Anyway, I had already ordered the Sony HVL-F43M flash a few days ago, should be here tomorrow or the day after.

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012

J.R. said:
sanj said:
Not arguing, but thinking aloud that 300 should be enough with planning for a smaller package.

Sure, depending what and how you shoot. However, IMHO, more buyers than not will buy the A7/A7R and end up shooting zero. I suspect it will be bought by wealthy hobbyists, most of whom don't shoot much anyway.

Wonder why you feel that? It is actually one of the cheapest options around for this quality. The wealthy who want to buy for the sake of buying have Leica.

Upvote 0
Apr 24, 2012

sanj said:
J.R. said:
sanj said:

Sure, depending what and how you shoot. However, IMHO, more buyers than not will buy the A7/A7R and end up shooting zero. I suspect it will be bought by wealthy hobbyists, most of whom don't shoot much anyway.

Wonder why you feel that? It is actually one of the cheapest options around for this quality. The wealthy who want to buy for the sake of buying have Leica.

+1

The a7 is actually the cheapest FF available - at least here in Europe.

Upvote 0

Rienzphotoz

Aug 22, 2012

Albi86 said:
sanj said:
J.R. said:
sanj said:

+1

The a7 is actually the cheapest FF available - at least here in Europe.
+1 ... it is the cheapest full frame camera with a kit lens anywhere in the world. Agreed it cannot match the versatility of a full frame DSLR, nonetheless it does deliver excellent results for people photography and landscapes. It sucks at any moderate action ... but that might be due to the limitations of the kit lens ... will have to wait and see when the Zeis 24-70 comes out.

Upvote 0
Jul 14, 2012

J.R. said:
sanj said:

I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that the c300 limit isn't so much a Sony thing as a mirrorless thing, especially when an EVF is involved as it is here; they simply use more power than dslrs. I don't get much more than that with my Olympus OM-D EM5 (haven't had my new EM1 long enough to find out); the first time I went to Longwood Gardens with it I ran out of power after about three hours and had to switch to a Canon dslr.

As for who's interested in the A7/A7R, I have no idea (landscapers with tripods strike me as a small minority, but who knows?), but - and this doesn't really prove anything of course - I spent a fair amount of time in B&H on Sunday. The place was packed, unsurprisingly, with lots of people milling around the Nikon and (especially) Canon stands and wanting to see the latest Fuji Xs and Olympus OM-D. To my complete surprise, while there were a few people at the Sony stand, the only person I'm aware of who ventured near an A7 was me; the lonely salesman seemed pleased enough to chat even though I didn't have much to say except that I lost interest when I realized they had no IBIS - he seemed sympathetic. I must say, though, that it was quite nice to hold and the EVF looks impressive. And it really is small - displayed among a bunch of small Sony point-and-shoots it made no impression whatsoever (aside from being black). Hard to imagine using anything but the smallest primes on it (without a tripod, at any rate).

Upvote 0