Off Brand: Sony Announces the A7 & A7R Full Frame Mirrorless Cameras

Jan 13, 2013
Re: Off Brand: Sony Announces the A7 & A7R Full Frame Mirrorless Cameras

Ricku said:
Woody said:
Ricku said:
You sure? The EVF in A7 / A7R is a new OLED-model. Diglloyd reported that it's the best EVF so far (of any camera brand).

It's the same EVF as the one in Olympus E-M1.

Current EVF technology still cannot match the dynamic range and colors as the human eye (OVF). :)
On the other hand, in an OVF you wont get candy like focus peaking and focus magnify.

I love those features when shooting fast glass (f/1.2 - f/2.8 ). In many cases this is more reliable than AF i.m.o. Perhaps not as fast, but if top speed is what you need, then this camera might not be your cup of tea.

It ain't :(

Upvote 0
Jul 14, 2012

e17paul said:
AquaGeneral said:
I bought the EOS M while it was ~$300 at B&H a month or so ago. The biggest problem with it is the delay from taking a picture after another.

I've heard that the updated Eos M firmware gives faster AF, is that the cause of delay from one picture to the next?

The EOS M I bought from B&H during the sale came with the new firmware and it still had a maddening lag; for that reason, along with the unreliable focusing and lack of a viewfinder, I recently sold it. Yes, it can take excellent photos, and yes, in that sense it was an amazing bargain, but for me it wasn't worth the annoyance; compared to my Olympus E-M5 the whole experience was an irritating joke. Surely Canon can do better; perhaps they will.

Upvote 0
May 20, 2011

sdsr said:
The EOS M I bought from B&H during the sale came with the new firmware and it still had a maddening lag; for that reason, along with the unreliable focusing and lack of a viewfinder, I recently sold it. Yes, it can take excellent photos, and yes, in that sense it was an amazing bargain, but for me it wasn't worth the annoyance; compared to my Olympus E-M5 the whole experience was an irritating joke. Surely Canon can do better; perhaps they will.
Of course Canon can do better. But tbh, I think they are somewhat terrified of the mirrorless market. The EOS M is a living proof of that.

I think it's all about desperately trying to protect and stick to their current market segmentation.

But dear Canon, now Sony (and soon others) is going to take a bite of your lunch.

Upvote 0
May 20, 2011

qianp2k said:
torger said:
I could potentially buy it with a metabones adapter just to use it with my Canon lenses for landscape photography,

It seems metabone EF-FE adapter is not available yet. They only have EF-NEX adapter at this moment.
I think I have mentioned this already. But look around 11:25 in this video. EF 17-40L being used and autofocused on the A7R.

Sony A7 & A7R Hands-On Field Test

Upvote 0

Ricku said:
sdsr said:
Of course Canon can do better. But tbh, I think they are somewhat terrified of the mirrorless market. The EOS M is a living proof of that.

I think it's all about desperately trying to protect and stick to their current market segmentation.

But dear Canon, now Sony (and soon others) is going to take a bite of your lunch.

Canon is actually making money on electronics, even while the camera market is shrinking. Sony, on the other hand, is losing money. Lots of it. Sony's electronics division has lost $8.5 billion. The reason they are still in business is that they make money on insurance (mostly) and movies and music. Otherwise they would be in a deep hole.

Canon isn't desperate or terrified about anything. They are doing quite well with a wide range of popular products. Nearly every videographer I see is shooting Canon and has 2 or 3 Canon bodies and a bag full of Canon lenses. The EOS M is proof of nothing more than a first effort.

I hope the A7/A7r is a huge success as it is a great idea. The size, features and pricing look just right.

Upvote 0
Jan 13, 2013

zlatko said:
Ricku said:
sdsr said:

Canon is actually making money on electronics, even while the camera market is shrinking. Sony, on the other hand, is losing money. Lots of it. Sony's electronics division has lost $8.5 billion. The reason they are still in business is that they make money on insurance (mostly) and movies and music. Otherwise they would be in a deep hole.

Canon isn't desperate or terrified about anything. They are doing quite well with a wide range of popular products. Nearly every videographer I see is shooting Canon and has 2 or 3 Canon bodies and a bag full of Canon lenses. The EOS M is proof of nothing more than a first effort.

I hope the A7/A7r is a huge success as it is a great idea. The size, features and pricing look just right.

Wait ... You haven't heard of Blackberry or Nokia yet :eek: ... These two cameras (lenses unknown) spell doomsday for Canon ::)

Upvote 0

This looks tempting... Even has a battery grip to go with it. Sure... If I could, I would grab one, but that would be at a different time. Like another responder, I just got my dream camera/lens combinations. I would be using it for some time before looking here. In fact, I will not look.

Upvote 0
Apr 24, 2012

Praise to CRguy for posting this.

Yes, these cameras are great. Maybe they won't be the greatest thing yet, but hey, it's a world first. The system will mature over time - which means more lenses too. Samyang has announced that in 2 months time they will release an FE version of 5 of their lenses. With metabones adapters you can use any Canikon lens and even keep AF capability. If Sigma starts producing their new lenses in FE mount, even better if it's covered by their mount conversion service, I'll be all in.

I'm in the crowd of those who wanted a M9-like camera but had no intention whatsoever to shell out $7K. Sony has made it for only $1.7K, and that fills me with excitement about the future - at the point that I'm not sure I'll invest another penny on a DSLR system.

Recent history teaches that companies uncapable or unwilling to keep the pace of progress (Kodak, Nokia, Blackberry, etc etc) are doomed to pay the price for it. Here's hoping to see a response from Canikon.

Upvote 0

The last few major Sony developments are great for the industry and for the consumer as many have stated. However, I don't think that this is necessarily going to draw as many DSLR customers away from Canon as some in this forum believe (and the ones that are lured away may find it isn't necessarily going to meet all their needs).

As others have stated, the lens selection is terrible. For those who are excited about adapters to mount EF lenses while retaining AF, all other current examples of this are almost completely worthless if AF speed is of concern to the type of work you do. I was one of the people that was completely stoked when Metabones announced the speed booster which I almost bought along with the NEX-7. They also claim to retain AF functionality on EF glass but state very clearly that it is not anywhere near fast enough for most applications. YouTube videos seem to support this statement if you haven't checked it out.

If Sony, Metabones, or any other company is able to make an adapter that truly allows usable AF retention, then you can count me in for one as well. But until that issue is solved, my feeling is that the people that are heavily invested in the Canon or Nikon ecosystem will not be quick to jump ship as most of us aren't looking to manually focus (for all intents and purposes) all of our glass. This is not to say there are not some people that would be completely fine with this.

Regardless, if the price comes down a bit, I may not be able to resist just picking one up to have that oh so sweet 36 mp sensor in my bag as I could still put that to good use in some instances.

Upvote 0

Ricku said:
I think I have mentioned this already. But look around 11:25 in this video. EF 17-40L being used and autofocused on the A7R.

No kiding. ItIf EF lens can be mounted on Sony's camera bodies and keep the AF, I think I will at least give Sony a try.

Upvote 0

JohnDizzo15 said:
The last few major Sony developments are great for the industry and for the consumer as many have stated. However, I don't think that this is necessarily going to draw as many DSLR customers away from Canon as some in this forum believe (and the ones that are lured away may find it isn't necessarily going to meet all their needs).

As others have stated, the lens selection is terrible. For those who are excited about adapters to mount EF lenses while retaining AF, all other current examples of this are almost completely worthless if AF speed is of concern to the type of work you do. I was one of the people that was completely stoked when Metabones announced the speed booster which I almost bought along with the NEX-7. They also claim to retain AF functionality on EF glass but state very clearly that it is not anywhere near fast enough for most applications. YouTube videos seem to support this statement if you haven't checked it out.

If Sony, Metabones, or any other company is able to make an adapter that truly allows usable AF retention, then you can count me in for one as well. But until that issue is solved, my feeling is that the people that are heavily invested in the Canon or Nikon ecosystem will not be quick to jump ship as most of us aren't looking to manually focus (for all intents and purposes) all of our glass. This is not to say there are not some people that would be completely fine with this.

Regardless, if the price comes down a bit, I may not be able to resist just picking one up to have that oh so sweet 36 mp sensor in my bag as I could still put that to good use in some instances.

Nicely put, thank you. It is exciting news and I have enjoyed my RX100 for what it does.
These innovations will hopefully push the whole industry toward better endeavors.

Upvote 0

cliffwang said:
Ricku said:

No kiding. ItIf EF lens can be mounted on Sony's camera bodies and keep the AF, I think I will at least give Sony a try.

I just put in my order for one. I have wanted a high-megapixel camera for landscapes for a while, and it looks like this will work.

My concern is that my 17-40 is my go-to lens, but I am wondering how it will resolve 36 megapixels. I typically shoot at f11 to get the best resolution out of the extreme corners on this lens (FYI). Any input?

Thanks in advance.

Upvote 0
May 20, 2011

bgran8 said:
cliffwang said:
Ricku said:

I just put in my order for one. I have wanted a high-megapixel camera for landscapes for a while, and it looks like this will work.

My concern is that my 17-40 is my go-to lens, but I am wondering how it will resolve 36 megapixels. I typically shoot at f11 to get the best resolution out of the extreme corners on this lens (FYI). Any input?

Thanks in advance.
Well, I think the 17-40L kinda struggles on the 5D3 and 5D2. And I think it might be even worse on the 36mp A7R.

However, the guy who made the hands on video review of the A7R, seemed to like the results from the 17-40L..

Upvote 0