Off Brand: Sony Announces the A7 & A7R Full Frame Mirrorless Cameras

Re: Off Brand: Sony Announces the A7 & A7R Full Frame Mirrorless Cameras

ah...I made the assumption professional work that 5d3 users use it for, weddings and some sports..
in these aspect the a7 maybe can come closer but definitely not the a7r.
for studio or landscape work, definitely possible..
basically as long as the subject doesn't move, the a7r is fantastic

Upvote 0

Rienzphotoz

Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
Aug 22, 2012

While surfing youtube for Sony a7 tutorials, I came across this video ... and I was blown away to find out that an existing Sony E mount 10-18mm f/4 lens (meant for crop frame) actually works AS FULL FRAME 12-18 lens at full resolution of the Sony a7 ... and it has image stabilization and it is on pact light weight lens. WOW! now that is freaking AWESOME ... I will be ordering it this weekend. Me very excited.
Watch the video at around 25 minutes mark, where the guy shows the lens.http://youtube.com/watch?v=GSSoQnD5vzE

Upvote 0

Rienzphotoz said:
and I was blown away to find out that an existing Sony E mount 10-18mm f/4 lens (meant for crop frame) actually works AS FULL FRAME 12-18 lens at full resolution of the Sony a7 ... and it has image stabilization and it is on pact light weight lens. WOW! now that is freaking AWESOME ... I will be ordering it this weekend. Me very excited.
Watch the video at around 25 minutes mark, where the guy shows the lens.http://youtube.com/watch?v=GSSoQnD5vzE

I am very surprised about that 10-18 mm being useful on FF (at least at >12mm) because it has quite bad vignetting even on APS-C sensor (2.5 EV at 10 mm end and 1.72 EV at 14mm). I would be interested in seeing actual wide angle FF shots large screens, not on camera screen.
http://www.photozone.de/sony_nex/829-sony1018f4oss?start=1

My enthusiasm is also tampered by the fact the 10-18mm is not exactly a cheap lens at $850 :'(

Upvote 0

drjlo said:
Rienzphotoz said:
and I was blown away to find out that an existing Sony E mount 10-18mm f/4 lens (meant for crop frame) actually works AS FULL FRAME 12-18 lens at full resolution of the Sony a7 ... and it has image stabilization and it is on pact light weight lens. WOW! now that is freaking AWESOME ... I will be ordering it this weekend. Me very excited.

I am very surprised about that 10-18 mm being useful on FF (at least at >12mm) because it has quite bad vignetting even on APS-C sensor (2.5 EV at 10 mm end and 1.72 EV at 14mm). I would be interested in seeing actual wide angle FF shots on larger screens, not on camera LCD.

My enthusiasm is also tampered by the fact the 10-18mm is not exactly a cheap lens at $850 :'(

Upvote 0

Rienzphotoz

Aug 22, 2012

drjlo said:
Rienzphotoz said:

I am very surprised about that 10-18 mm being useful on FF (at least at >12mm) because it has quite bad vignetting even on APS-C sensor (2.5 EV at 10 mm end and 1.72 EV at 14mm). I would be interested in seeing actual wide angle FF shots large screens, not on camera screen.

Vignetting doesn't concern me that much ... I am sure I can fix it in PP ... besides even if I was to use it only from 14mm-18mm, that is still incredibly wide, that too in a very small package ... $850 is not cheap but it isn't expensive either, considering that it is at least a 14mm lens in an incredible dmall form factor ... when Sony does release a native FE wide angle lens, I can always sell the 10-18 ... I'll probably get this lens within the next 2 weeks and will post some images.

Upvote 0

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/6018399843/using-third-party-lenses-on-sony-a7-a7r

Dpreview will release its review in the next day(s).

Used it on saturday @ indoor shooting. Outdoor @ good light-> superb! But indoor, the alpha 7 with the kit lens had some problems with the AF. It took very long to get sharp. I will try it with an better zeiss-lens next week again.

Upvote 0

eml58

1Dx
Aug 26, 2012
Singapore

Rienzphotoz said:
Sony A7 Alpha Time-Lapse App has Landed!

Thanks for that Rienz, wasn't even aware of this function/ability, Apps for Cameras, what will they think of next, hopefully some more Lenses.

Have been reading this thread with interest, I've had my a7r for a month now, lots of things I like about it, a couple I dont, sort of how I feel about the 1Dx & 5DMK III. Having been one of those Leica M9 owners mentioned earlier, my experience with the a7r is worlds apart from my experience with the M9, just wasn't happy with the M9, the a7r I liked from the start.

The a7r for me at least will likely never replace the 1Dx, it could replace the 5DMK III if Sony do a bit more with Lenses, I have the Adaptor so I can use Canon Lenses on the a7r, but I feel you give up IQ to utilise the ability, a friend of mine does still own the M9 & bought the Metabones adaptor to use his Leica glass, he's about to sell his M9 as well, although he does say not all his Leica Glass works 100% on the a7r, it works well enough for him to decide on the a7r over the Leica.

I think to date my biggest issues with the a7r, and I understand of course No System offers everything we need as Photographers, would be the a7r's lack of ability on anything that moves, so as a wildlife system on anything other than vultures on a kill, the a7r is not the Camera for wildlife shooters.

Low light with the EVF is troublesome, workable, but not up to the 1Dx or the 5DMK III.

I still have issues with that EVF, the way it hangs onto the last Image in the viewfinder momentarily just annoys the heck out of me, but it gets back to that first point I made, this is not really the Camera for action shots.

But good points are still good points, the size factor is just amazing, throw the Camera into a bag & you hardly know it's there, great Camera for General Imaging, spot on for Landscape, and with some additional Lenses it should be a great Portrait Camera.

I like it, and will work with it, I'm keen to get it into an Underwater Housing once we have a Macro Lens and a WA at around 15, The Images this Camera produces should equate to better imaging for my underwater use, and the small form factor will allow a much smaller Underwater Housing to be used than I currently use for the 1DMK IV & 5DMK III.

Upvote 0

eml58

1Dx
Aug 26, 2012
Singapore

2 Minutes after mentioning the above, friend of mine sent me this link in case anyone else is interested, I'll certainly order the Housing today & start thinking what WA/Macro Lenses I can use on the beast, probably start with the Adaptor with the Canon 8-15f/4 & Canon 100f/2.8 L IS Macro.

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/new-nauticam-housing-for-sony-a7-and-a7r/

Attachments

• Nauticam Housing for a7r.png
    Nauticam Housing for a7r.png
    765.8 KB · Views: 775
Upvote 0

Rienzphotoz

Aug 22, 2012

eml58 said:
2 Minutes after mentioning the above, friend of mine sent me this link in case anyone else is interested, I'll certainly order the Housing today & start thinking what WA/Macro Lenses I can use on the beast, probably start with the Adaptor with the Canon 8-15f/4 & Canon 100f/2.8 L IS Macro.

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/new-nauticam-housing-for-sony-a7-and-a7r/
AWESOME! ... it sure is a beast at 2.4 KG

Upvote 0

Rienzphotoz

Aug 22, 2012

eml58 said:
Rienzphotoz said:
Sony A7 Alpha Time-Lapse App has Landed!

Thanks for that Rienz, wasn't even aware of this function/ability, Apps for Cameras, what will they think of next, hopefully some more Lenses.

Have been reading this thread with interest, I've had my a7r for a month now, lots of things I like about it, a couple I dont, sort of how I feel about the 1Dx & 5DMK III. Having been one of those Leica M9 owners mentioned earlier, my experience with the a7r is worlds apart from my experience with the M9, just wasn't happy with the M9, the a7r I liked from the start.

The a7r for me at least will likely never replace the 1Dx, it could replace the 5DMK III if Sony do a bit more with Lenses, I have the Adaptor so I can use Canon Lenses on the a7r, but I feel you give up IQ to utilise the ability, a friend of mine does still own the M9 & bought the Metabones adaptor to use his Leica glass, he's about to sell his M9 as well, although he does say not all his Leica Glass works 100% on the a7r, it works well enough for him to decide on the a7r over the Leica.

I think to date my biggest issues with the a7r, and I understand of course No System offers everything we need as Photographers, would be the a7r's lack of ability on anything that moves, so as a wildlife system on anything other than vultures on a kill, the a7r is not the Camera for wildlife shooters.

Low light with the EVF is troublesome, workable, but not up to the 1Dx or the 5DMK III.

I still have issues with that EVF, the way it hangs onto the last Image in the viewfinder momentarily just annoys the heck out of me, but it gets back to that first point I made, this is not really the Camera for action shots.

But good points are still good points, the size factor is just amazing, throw the Camera into a bag & you hardly know it's there, great Camera for General Imaging, spot on for Landscape, and with some additional Lenses it should be a great Portrait Camera.

I like it, and will work with it, I'm keen to get it into an Underwater Housing once we have a Macro Lens and a WA at around 15, The Images this Camera produces should equate to better imaging for my underwater use, and the small form factor will allow a much smaller Underwater Housing to be used than I currently use for the 1DMK IV & 5DMK III.
Yeah, the apps are pretty cool ... I have no prior experience with any apps for Sony NEX cameras, but I saw a few youtube videos of people using some very useful apps for those cameras ... apparently, Sony will release all (or most) of those cool apps optimized for the full frame mirrorless cameras.
Athough the a7 is faster to AF then the a7R, it is definitely not meant for action. For me, it will never replace my 5D MK III with 70-200 f/2.8 IS II but anything below that range I now prefer the a7 for its sheer light weight and convenience. I'm just waiting for the ZEISS 24-70 f/4 and a UWA lens.
I totally agree about the EVF, although it is currently the best out there, it is not yet completely there ... it'd be great if there was no lag ... I suppose the next versions will only get better.

Upvote 0

Just got my A7R!

I'm going to try it out for a month but it's looking like I'll be selling my 5DII.
Sure it's not perfect and there's a few things I'll miss (Canon has a better flash ecosystem, better ergonomics and menus, MagicLantern) but it's small and light enough I'll actually take it with me!

Probably I'll keep most of my Canon glass though...

Upvote 0

Rienzphotoz

Aug 22, 2012

Ricku said:
The zeiss UWA-zoom will hopefully arrive in March. It will be my first and only native lens for the A7R, at least for now.
That would be AWESOME ... but what makes you hopeful of it arriving in March? ... any rumor/leak you read? if so please post. Thanks.

[/quote]
Ricku said:
I still have a speck of hope left for Canon sensor developers, so I'm keeping all my EF-glass. lol.
I like Canon glass over anything Sony has to offer ... I would not trade my 5D MK III or any of my lenses, especially 70mm onwards ... except maybe the 50 f/1.4 for a ZEISS 55 f/1.8, but again I hardly ever shoot with a prime lens, so maybe not. :)

Upvote 0

Rienzphotoz

Aug 22, 2012

According to http://www.sansmirror.com/lenses/lens-database/sony-nex-lenses/ ... these are the 15 FE lenses that will be available (in or before the end of 20015) "in order of likely introduction":

1. FE 28-70mm OSS (Available)
2. FE 35mm f/2.8 Zeiss (Available)
3. FE 55mm f/1.8 Zeiss (Available)
4. FE 24-70mm f/4 Zeiss OSS (Available)
5. FE 70-200mm f/4 G OSS (Available for Pre-Order)
6. FE 16-35mm f/4 Zeiss OSS (2014)
7. FE 85mm f/1.8 Zeiss OSS (2014)
8. FE 100mm f/2.8 Macro G (2014)
9. FE 35mm f/1.4 Zeiss (2014)
10. FE 24mm f/2 Zeiss (2014)
11. FE 24-135mm f/3.5-5.6 G (2015)
12. FE 135mm f/2 Zeiss (2015)
13. FE 21mm f/2.8 Zeiss (2015)
14. FE 35mm f/2 G OSS (2015)
15. FE 50mm f/1.2 Zeiss (2015)

Upvote 0

Rienzphotoz said:
According to http://www.sansmirror.com/lenses/lens-database/sony-nex-lenses/ ... these are the 15 FE lenses that will be available (in or before the end of 20015) "in order of likely introduction":

See, this is a real problem. Looking at the $$$ price Sony is selling their Zeiss FE glass, if I commit to the FE system, the lenses above are the lenses I would likely want, to at least half-way approximate my Canon lens system (minus my T-SE, MP-E, etc) We are talking about a lot, a LOT of money here, which I (and most) cannot afford IN ADDITION to the Canon glass we have already invested into.

Upvote 0

Rienzphotoz

Aug 22, 2012

drjlo said:
Rienzphotoz said:

See, this is a real problem. Looking at the $$$ price Sony is selling their Zeiss FE glass, if I commit to the FE system, the lenses above are the lenses I would likely want, to at least half-way approximate my Canon lens system (minus my T-SE, MP-E, etc) We are talking about a lot, a LOT of money here, which I (and most) cannot afford IN ADDITION to the Canon glass we have already invested into.
It's only a problem when you view it as a tool to replace your existing DSLR/lenses ... but as of today the Sony Full Frame mirrorless camera is not capable of replacing Canon/Nikon DSLRs and lenses. Also, it is unfair to compare a 5 months old system like Sony FF mirrorless, with decades old tried and tested eco-system like Canon & Nikon. When Canon first introduced a new system called the EOS in 1987, there were only 13 lenses introduced in the first 2 years (as listed below, not necessarily in the order of introduction):
1. EF 15mm f/2.8 fisheye (1987)
2. EF 28mm f/2.8 (1987)
3. EF 50mm f/1.8 (1987)
4. EF 50mm f/2.5 (1987)
5. EF 135mm f/2.8 softfocus (1987)
6. EF 35-70mm f/3.5 - 4.5 (1987)
7. EF 35-105mm f/3.5-4.5 (1987)
8. EF 50-200mm f/3.5-4.5 (1987)
9. EF 70-210mm f/4 (1987)
10. EF 100-300mm f/5.6 (1987)
11. EF 24mm f/2.8 (1988)
12. EF 200mm f/1.8 (1988)
13. EF 600mm f/4 (1988)
I am sure Nikon and other SLR users must have doubted the "limited" and "overlapping" line up of lenses Canon had introduced, but given the time Canon become numero-uno with some great line-up of lenses.
Give the Sony FF mirrorless system time and you we will know where it stands in a couple of years time.

Upvote 0