Off camera flash, R5 viewfinder always dark

gui

Industrial Photographer
For a few months, I have had a Canon R5. I use it for videography and portrait photography. I pair the R5 with a set of Profoto flashes. I place the camera on a tripod to make a portrait. I always used a DSLR.
Because the DSLR has an optical viewfinder, you could always see what the scene would look like through the camera without modelling lights or permanent lights.

But the R5 uses a screen. For documentary and reportage-style shooting, it Is a blessing. But shooting with flashes is a disaster, in my opinion.
Based on the camera settings, I have set the viewfinder to show me the scene. This means that when using natural light, the screen shows you the correct image in the camera.
But when I set the flashes and configure the camera to reflect my proposed image settings (often low ISO, Large aperture and 1/125th because of the flashes), the viewfinder is permanently dark. I can set the viewfinder to show me the screen all lightened up, but I only want that for my shots where I use flash.

How do you solve this?

Is there a setting that I can program into a button on the camera that can toggle between the two settings? Or temporarily turn it off during this particular shoot?

Jul 21, 2010
How are you triggering your flashes? On my R3, I have the viewfinder display set to exposure simulation with DoF preview. When I am doing indoor portraits, it’s usually with a backdrop and I am at exposure settings along the lines of 1/160 s, f/8-11, ISO 200-400 (with the intentionally dim ambient light, the settings mean a black viewfinder).

I use a combination several 600EX flashes and an optically-triggered monolight. I trigger with either an on camera 600EX or the Canon ST-E10. If either of those is in the hotshoe and powered on, the VF automatically brightens for full scene visibility (but only when metering is active, i.e. after a half shutter button press). If nothing is in the hotshoe or either of those attachments is mounted but powered off, the VF is black consistent with the exposure settings.

Upvote 0

gui

Industrial Photographer
I trigger my flashes with a Profoto connect.

I have the same setting—exposure simulation with DoF preview. And I have almost the same settings for my images. But my VF does not automatically brighten for full-scene visibility. Is that something you can set in the flash menu?
I want a button to configure to toggle to full VF brightness and Exposure simulation.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I trigger my flashes with a Profoto connect.

I have the same setting—exposure simulation with DoF preview. And I have almost the same settings for my images. But my VF does not automatically brighten for full-scene visibility. Is that something you can set in the flash menu?
I want a button to configure to toggle to full VF brightness and Exposure simulation.
AFAIK, there is no setting to control that. Possibly the difference is that I am using OEM products in the hotshoe and you are using a third-party trigger.

I don’t have a third-party flash to test that hypothesis, do you have a Canon flash to try?

Upvote 0