Official Press Release: Canon EOS-1D X Mark II

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
There have been all types surfacing or coming out of the woodwork. Not trying to be overly critical here but maybe it's worth stepping back and considering just why you post. There is no reason why Canon should not be criticized for legitimate shortcomings; that's not what I'm talking about.

Many make all kinds of disparaging remarks without having a clue, as usual. Others enjoy bashing, probably just to irritate serious photographers on CR whether they have accurate information or not, it usually doesn't matter to them.

Perhaps innocently caught up in completely unrealistic expectations some folk then have their hopes dashed and express negativity such as this camera doesn't match the video features of whatever video camera that would be double the price. Then there are those that want to pay peanuts and get all the goodies, etc. etc. :) Not to mention others that only care about what Nikon/Sony has or doesn't have.

I have been thoroughly pleased with my first Canon DSLR, the 6D in spite of its shortcomings. I have CR posted photos to back up that I'm not producing garbage with the 6D.

How well I remember all the jeers and complaints about Canon including WiFi and GPS in the 6D. Those folk illustrated there ignorance with pride. I love my Canon glass, the Canon ergonomics and the basic dependability and that includes a wonderful 70's vintage F1 that performed flawlessly until sold a year back.

Hats off to Canon for a great upgrade. I'm saying that even before all the real life results get posted! :) :)

Happy Jack

Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2015
PhotographyFirst said:
There probably isn't any focus tracking in LV using DPAF because maybe the shutter would interrupt the process? There is no mechanical shutter in video mode so it can be sampled continuously for DPAF. Seems like the only logical explanation as to why there is no tracking with DPAF in LV.
How dare you disturb that rant with facts? ;)

Upvote 0
Re: samples here!

tpatana said:
Pompo said:
The 25600 looks pretty dang good !

http://cweb.canon.jp/camera/eos/lineup/1dxmk2/samples/index.html

They chose pic that doesn't show the noise. If you look the dancer at ISO6400, it already has some noise on it. Darn. Well,... might have save me $6k.

those are SOOC jpg or raw converted to jpg?(some of the samples have some lines at the bottom, does it mean raw converted?). I must say credits to canon to atleast give us full sized images...!
(whereas nikon did not to my knowledge)

The 25600 looks pretty good, and something seems off with the 6400(dancer) shot...

ISO感度は推奨露光指数です。
RAWで撮影した画像をEOS-1D X Mark IIでカメラ内RAW現像したものです。

RAWで撮影した画像をEOS-1D X Mark IIでカメラ内RAW現像したものです。

Upvote 0

tpatana said:
Pompo said:

They chose pic that doesn't show the noise. If you look the dancer at ISO6400, it already has some noise on it. Darn. Well,... might have save me $6k.

Seems like you might end up missing out ;)

http://www.andyrouse.co.uk/index.php?b=1&currentpage=

Sensor - Top of the list must be the new sensor, completely redesigned, which delivers incredible noise performance (especially in shadow detail where there is NO noise) and the ability to shoot commercial quality images at very high ISO. This has been very useful for me during testing as invariably it’s been in the rain and the light has been pants. The image quality is simply sensational. Bottom line, images have much more dynamic range and have a much greater latitude for post processing.

Upvote 0

Rahul

Wish I had more time to shoot
Jan 28, 2015
expatinasia said:
Does anyone know whether the 1DX Mark II's battery (LP-E19) also works in the 1DX?

I am guessing it does, but are there any benefits to using that, and can it be charged in the 1DX's charger?

BH Photo mentions the "compatibility" to be with the 1DX II - doesn't mention the 1DX (Mark-I).

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1221609-REG/canon_1169c002_lp_e4n_battery_pack.html

While it is not clear right, I'm guessing that it may be case similar to the LP-E6 and LP-E6N - both interchangeable in cameras as well as chargers.

Upvote 0

tpatana said:
Pompo said:

GASP! God forbid there be noise at... ISO 6400!!! GASP!!

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
expatinasia said:
Does anyone know whether the 1DX Mark II's battery (LP-E19) also works in the 1DX?

I am guessing it does, but are there any benefits to using that, and can it be charged in the 1DX's charger?

Yes the LP-E19 works in the 1DX.

If you use the old LP-E4 and LP-E4N in the 1DX MkII then you lose 2fps, so a max of 12fps in normal shooting and 14fps in live view.

If you charge the new LP-E19 in an old LP-E4N charger it will not fully charge it.

You can use the new charger to charge the old batteries.

Upvote 0
privatebydesign said:
expatinasia said:

If you use the old LP-E4 and LP-E4N in the 1DX MkII then you lose 2fps, so a max of 12fps in normal shooting and 14fps in live view.

If you charge the new LP-E19 in an old LP-E4N charger it will not fully charge it.

Thanks, pdb, and Rahul.

I will have to investigate this further as I read on DPR that if you buy a new LP-E19 you can't charge it in the old 1DX charger (LC-E4N).

I have already sent CPS an email about this so will also see what they say.

Added: Sorry pdb, I replied then questioned the batteries and by the time I submitted you had already modified your post so I deleted my reply and resubmitted. Cheers.

Upvote 0
Ryananthony said:
Meatcurry said:
A glowing review from Andy Rouse, who's had the camera since December!

I imagine image quality at those high iso is very good, but thanks to his pics you can't tell.

LoL yes he claims iso 32000 is like iso 8000 on the 1dx, so 2 stops improvement hmmm how lovely would that be ;) (then it seems weird that the native/boosted iso isn't higher)

but we cannot enjoy his pictures because they are so tiny (700x500 pixels LOL) 0.35MP images on a 4k screen makes it hard to share his excitement.(maybe i should grab my phone?, or make a 2.33x1.67 inch print? lol)
I know it is pre production, but if you make such ->absurd<- claims, then at least provide 10x the resolution (3-4mp), so we can all jaw drop

Also the 7d=>7dII (5 years in between) improvement in ISO makes me a bit skeptical that they can achieve 2 full stops from the 1dx to the 1dxII (4 years in between). But we can always dream :x

Just like the guy who had the d5 for months , this reads as one big (canon) advertisement, trying to get some extra pre orders in by those who fall for it. I'd rather wait until some ('independent') people reviewed it with real image samples(full size/raw) and make them available to us, So we can also play around a bit/Look at it.

Unfortunately in my country there isn't much of a possibility to rent such gear and try it out for yourself

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
expatinasia said:
privatebydesign said:
expatinasia said:

Thanks, pdb, and Rahul.

I will have to investigate this further as I read on DPR that if you buy a new LP-E19 you can't charge it in the old 1DX charger (LC-E4N).

Added: Sorry pdb, I replied then questioned the batteries and by the time I submitted you had already modified your post so I deleted my reply and resubmitted. Cheers.

6:24 here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVZbOWXJQnY that is 'the horses mouth'.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Reality Merely Illusion said:
Ryananthony said:
Meatcurry said:
A glowing review from Andy Rouse, who's had the camera since December!

I imagine image quality at those high iso is very good, but thanks to his pics you can't tell.

LoL yes he claims iso 32000 is like iso 8000 on the 1dx, so 2 stops improvement hmmm how lovely would that be ;) (then it seems weird that the native/boosted iso isn't higher)

but we cannot enjoy his pictures because they are so tiny (700x500 pixels LOL) 0.35MP images on a 4k screen makes it hard to share his excitement.(maybe i should grab my phone?, or make a 2.33x1.67 inch print? lol)
I know it is pre production, but if you make such ->absurd<- claims, then at least provide 10x the resolution (3-4mp), so we can all jaw drop

Also the 7d=>7dII (5 years in between) improvement in ISO makes me a bit skeptical that they can achieve 2 full stops from the 1dx to the 1dxII (4 years in between). But we can always dream :x

Just like the guy who had the d5 for months , this reads as one big (canon) advertisement, trying to get some extra pre orders in by those who fall for it. I'd rather wait until some ('independent') people reviewed it with real image samples(full size/raw) and make them available to us, So we can also play around a bit/Look at it.

Unfortunately in my country there isn't much of a possibility to rent such gear and try it out for yourself

Sooner or later you'll get some real world comparisons...I remember the 25k 1DX photograph of black outed NYC some years ago. Wasn't that bad for being made while sitting near the open door of a helicopter...This cam isn't part of my budget anyway, what I don't like is the possibility of an 28 MP 5DIV. My recently purchased 6D delievers decent photographs at ISO 12.800 or even 25.600. So just hope, Canon don't screw it MP count wise in upcoming 5Ds and eventually 6Ds. MP count is fine so far, for anything else we got the niche products...I am curious how the on chip ADC tech will pay off in RAW IQ at high ISOs and I sure hope that this tech will be applied to the lower models as well e.g. 5D, 6D line.

Upvote 0
privatebydesign said:
expatinasia said:
privatebydesign said:
expatinasia said:

Thanks, pdb, and Rahul.

6:24 here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVZbOWXJQnY that is 'the horses mouth'.

Outstanding, thanks pdb.

Unfortunately then it is true, while the new battery works in the 1DX, to fully charge it, you must use the new charger.

Upvote 0