Official Press Release: Canon EOS-1D X Mark II

neuroanatomist said:
expatinasia said:
Unfortunately then it is true, while the new battery works in the 1DX, to fully charge it, you must use the new charger.

That's also true for the 1D X's LP-E4N when charging in the older LC-E4 (for the LP-E4 which shipped with previous 1-series bodies).
I can live with that ...

Upvote 0
Jan 3, 2014
PureClassA said:
beardsquad said:
Videos are up on Canon's YouTube channel as well. Some things I noted:

1. HDMI output is 1080p 422 8-bit
2. WFT-E6A also compatible
3. 4K is a center crop of the sensor

Same as the 1DC, which according to noted Sony fan and talented cinematographer, Phillip Bloom, was a camera he really loved and said how much the 8bit image really seemed to outperform it's paper specs. I keep thinking I want a video rig because I'd have some good, simple professional opportunities to generate good revenue from it. This may wind up being my rig because I also use the 1DX now for fast action stills. I think Canon really made a smart marketing decision to put what I feel is a very generous cinema camera into what's supposed to be a stills camera. Well done.

I noticed this from the BH specs:
"When recording in-camera, or to an optional external recorder via HDMI for saving uncompressed footage, 4K video has 4:2:2 sampling and 8-bit color depth, while Full HD 1080p footage has 4:2:0 sampling. "

The HD part of this is basically the same as the 5DIII (yes, I know the frame rate is higher). I am a little disappointed it is 8 bit and not 10 bit. Not sure what " saving uncompressed footage" means exactly. Today, the Atomos can record from the HDMI in ProRes, so is that what they are talking about? Basically, this sentence is a little confusing.

Upvote 0
Larsskv said:
That "subject tracking" they are referring to, doesn't that require that you enable all the focus points, and let the camera chose focus? Do anybody on these forums know anyone that shoot their 1DX in full auto mode, and let the camera choose where to focus? I guess most pros want to be in control of that. It seems typical DPreview to test out and mess on with a house wife feature (I'm not trying to be sexist here), in a top level pro camera.

Yes, all points enabled with you selecting the starting point. But you know what? If it works, why would anyone NOT want to use it - it's not a "house wife" feature if it works and makes your life simpler and faster.

This is something Nikon's implementation is really good at - you can leave the starting point at the center, hit an eye with it, recompose, and it will follow *just* the eye really well with the active focus point. That's handy and quick and it's silly to poopoo it. iTR will usually end up keeping on the face, but will have 5 active focus points over the nose eye and cheek if you do the same, and thus miss focus if you are close to your subject.

Upvote 0
Jul 20, 2010
tr573 said:
Larsskv said:
That "subject tracking" they are referring to, doesn't that require that you enable all the focus points, and let the camera chose focus? Do anybody on these forums know anyone that shoot their 1DX in full auto mode, and let the camera choose where to focus? I guess most pros want to be in control of that. It seems typical DPreview to test out and mess on with a house wife feature (I'm not trying to be sexist here), in a top level pro camera.

Yes, all points enabled with you selecting the starting point. But you know what? If it works, why would anyone NOT want to use it - it's not a "house wife" feature if it works and makes your life simpler and faster.

This is something Nikon's implementation is really good at - you can leave the starting point at the center, hit an eye with it, recompose, and it will follow *just* the eye really well with the active focus point. That's handy and quick and it's silly to poopoo it. iTR will usually end up keeping on the face, but will have 5 active focus points over the nose eye and cheek if you do the same, and thus miss focus if you are close to your subject.

Sometimes, it can't even stay focused on the same subject... (see DPReview video on Youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efAQI4CbS5s)... sigh...

Upvote 0

StudentOfLight

I'm on a life-long journey of self-discovery
Nov 2, 2013
Cape Town
StudentOfLight said:
In the B&H video there is mention of wider spread of the 61 AF points. Has anyone seen an example of this or comparison of the new 61pt AF system vs the 61pt AF system in current bodies?
Here is the actual mention:
https://youtu.be/V3U4XBqfCPk?t=4m58s

Upvote 0
PureClassA said:
Same as the 1DC, which according to noted Sony fan and talented cinematographer, Phillip Bloom, was a camera he really loved and said how much the 8bit image really seemed to outperform it's paper specs. I keep thinking I want a video rig because I'd have some good, simple professional opportunities to generate good revenue from it. This may wind up being my rig because I also use the 1DX now for fast action stills. I think Canon really made a smart marketing decision to put what I feel is a very generous cinema camera into what's supposed to be a stills camera. Well done.

Not quite the same as the 1DC. The 4k readout is more like APS-C on the 1Dx Mk II because it has more effective pixels and is therefore sampling from a smaller area on the sensor (I think?). From a cinematographer's perspective there are much cheaper options in the APS-C range unless you really need 60fps, and I would consider the 1DC over the MkII for the crop factor.

Upvote 0