OMG....you always get smited for offering your opinion!

Status
Not open for further replies.
picturesbyme said:
scalesusa said:
I suspect (but do not know) that he feels the system has overall helped to keep things under control.

Riiiight.... it's working soo well.... Now I have -12 ::) I feel much more controlled... ;)
Obviously half came after I said it is childish -which is true- but what wrong have I done before?

Does this encouraging a user to post/offer help to ppl more?

i gave you an applaud to try make you feel better if that helps seriously once the scars build up you barely feel the newer smites as they build up :p

I guess new users get taken aback by it and for everyone it is frustrating not knowing which particular post earned you the smite. I think its good the smites follow the user

There definately are people that smite when they disagree
dont let it get you down you post constructive and good information not to mention some really nice pictures in the gallery section.

cheer up ;)

Upvote 0
Cooperation theory indicates that you should start out being nice to people, and then, utterly consistently and automatically, treat them precisely as they treat you.

When people realize they cannot gain any advantage in a manner other than productive cooperation, not by chance or force, they will capitulate and coexist peacefully.

So the math says.

Upvote 0

helpful

Ecclesiastes 3:11
Mar 6, 2012
00Q said:
Right, so....Ive discovered that I have been smited like hell....in the same way mosquitos sting you if you walk out into the forest at night. ...

I guess the people who smite me are those who feel insulted because I have not recommended their lenses or bodies in my replies to other people's posts. People smite you because they can't stand their lenses being "unrecommended". Most of the time, thats the only lenses they have and they take it too personally....also I've found that some people can't stand it when others says something negative about Canon.

On this site, by giving your opinion = smite :(

so.....since I have 120+ smites and only 30+ thumbs up, I cant careless about my reputation, so people go on smite me! Your lenses can be S___. Canon can sometimes be S___. And your camera bodies are probably need an upgrade.

You are so right. I joined this forum a few weeks ago as a retired photography instructor, with the beautiful idea of helping others for free with any and all photography questions--hence, my chosen name "helpful."

But as soon as I had started posting some images to use as examples of depth of field, white balance, etc., I started collecting an negative karma out of no where. I decided to devote my time to people who might actually want it. I deleted nearly all my posts, and all my images--why share my work at site and get smites when the same photos have won me photo of the year awards and publication in the Tribune, etc.

I am still willing to help anyone who actually wants it. Don't hesitate to ask me anything about photography.

Now watch my smites add up!

Upvote 0
Hello helpful, I hope you stay on. I will be looking for your images. :)

It is unfortunate that some members prefer to smite than enter into a rational, civil and polite discussion about a point they may disagree on. In a forum like this, members can gain knowledge about photography from people like yourself who may have experiences they don't.

I would much prefer that someone articulate their disagreement than to respond with a meaningless smite. Or even better, respond with their thoughts AND a photograph which highlights their point (where applicable). This is a photographic forum after all. There is however nothing to learn from a smite (which no doubt will earn me some).

Now back to editing some shots I took in Germany...

Upvote 0
D

D_Rochat

Joellll said:
Let's be happy we have both applaud and smite, the people over facebook have been desperately trying to get a dislike button while we already have one.

Stay positive mates. Being smited online has nothing to do with Canon gear and terrific photos. Which is why I never give smites. :)

I see where you're going, but the Facebook crowd wants a dislike button so when someone updates their status as "I'm sick and in bed all day :(", everyone can give a sympathetic dislike for their misfortune. Here it's used as a weapon (and I use that term loosely...). Here you get smited for liking a piece of equipment, not liking a piece of equipment, posting pictures, talking about the gear you have, stating an opinion (pleasant or not), stating fact (pleasant or not), being a new guy and asking a simple question, agreeing or disagreeing with another poster and on and on.

Are smites the end of the world? No. I have sh*tty karma and I'm not going anywhere. But there is significant proof that it bothers some people and people have left the forum, like the OP of this very thread. It's beyond me why CR keeps a pointless system that scares off people from visiting their website.

I think CR should open up another poll when the next big release happens. That way they'll get more traffic and voters. It should have been done while we were all waiting for the 5D mk III.

Upvote 0
helpful said:
00Q said:
Right, so....Ive discovered that I have been smited like hell....in the same way mosquitos sting you if you walk out into the forest at night. ...

I guess the people who smite me are those who feel insulted because I have not recommended their lenses or bodies in my replies to other people's posts. People smite you because they can't stand their lenses being "unrecommended". Most of the time, thats the only lenses they have and they take it too personally....also I've found that some people can't stand it when others says something negative about Canon.

On this site, by giving your opinion = smite :(

so.....since I have 120+ smites and only 30+ thumbs up, I cant careless about my reputation, so people go on smite me! Your lenses can be S___. Canon can sometimes be S___. And your camera bodies are probably need an upgrade.

You are so right. I joined this forum a few weeks ago as a retired photography instructor, with the beautiful idea of helping others for free with any and all photography questions--hence, my chosen name "helpful."

But as soon as I had started posting some images to use as examples of depth of field, white balance, etc., I started collecting an negative karma out of no where. I decided to devote my time to people who might actually want it. I deleted nearly all my posts, and all my images--why share my work at site and get smites when the same photos have won me photo of the year awards and publication in the Tribune, etc.

I am still willing to help anyone who actually wants it. Don't hesitate to ask me anything about photography.

Now watch my smites add up!

don't worry matey :D

I'm celebrating my 100th smite today ! I try to help out as much as possible other who are very helpful round here have a boatload of smites too, its just par for the course

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.