Once you go "L" you'll never go back....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok...This is more of a rant than anything....so here goes!

NEVER EVER...EVER...EVER have an amateur, shooting with a different camera brand and very poor quality lenses shoot a wedding with you ( you had sympathy for this person and wanted to help them grow as a photographer and allowed them to assist you, photographing)

Holy smokes!!! I'm using L glass plus a 5D MK II and in order to get the quality of their picture to something half decent and that looks like a hint of my pictures, talk about POST POST POST...Geesh!

They were using a Pentax K-X and a Tamron AF-70-300. Now before everyone jumps on my case, I did provide a canon 40D with Canon Lenses ( NON-L) for him to use, however, it was sooo different than his own camera, he couldn't figure it out within the few hours he was there.

This is not a rip on the photographer, he actually has a great eye for composition....he just needs a better system....sorry..

Short of great canon (non-L primes) 85 1.8, heck the 50 mm 1.8 Mark 1....I don't know I'll ever buy poor quality lenses...

sorry....more of a rant...lol

Have a good night.

While I probably could have survived going to a 7D when I upgraded a few years ago from my Rebel 450D (XSi), I went right to the 5d2 w/24-105L. Since then, I've only bought L lenses, excepting the 85 f/1.8 which is what I'd say is quite good, and a great value. I don't think I'll ever be able to buy anything that's not at least quite good in terms of quality, even if it's not L build. Otherwise, all L for me!

Upvote 0
brought1 said:

NEVER EVER...EVER...EVER have an amateur, shooting with a different camera brand and very poor quality lenses shoot a wedding with you ( you had sympathy for this person and wanted to help them grow as a photographer and allowed them to assist you, photographing)

Holy smokes!!! I'm using L glass plus a 5D MK II and in order to get the quality of their picture to something half decent and that looks like a hint of my pictures, talk about POST POST POST...Geesh!

They were using a Pentax K-X and a Tamron AF-70-300. Now before everyone jumps on my case, I did provide a canon 40D with Canon Lenses ( NON-L) for him to use, however, it was sooo different than his own camera, he couldn't figure it out within the few hours he was there.

This is not a rip on the photographer, he actually has a great eye for composition....he just needs a better system....sorry..

Short of great canon (non-L primes) 85 1.8, heck the 50 mm 1.8 Mark 1....I don't know I'll ever buy poor quality lenses...

Have a good night.

You had bad luck with the amateur in this.
But it doesn't mean that is has to bad always.
There are good amateurs and bad amateurs. There are good pro and certainly also bad pro's.
If you have a pro gear, is doesn't automatically mean that the photos will be excellent. As news editor I am receiving numerous of photos and I know what equipment the photographers are using. From Tamrons, Sigma's to Canon and Nikon primes.
What count is the story value of the photo. It depends on for what purpose you want to use the photo. In many cases end user appreciates a photo if they like the story. A photo taken by the best equipment, but without anything special story behind, means almost nothing except filling the space. When it comes to creativity, the pro's and the amateur/hobby photographers are in balance. The difference is probably made by the fact that the amateurs earns by washing cars or whatever and the pro by fulltime photographing.

Upvote 0

Marsu42

Canon Pride.
Feb 7, 2012
Berlin
der-tierfotograf.de
brought1 said:

To me, this is a bit simplistic because L glass has been around for a long time and old lenses aren't that stellar.

The main advantage is build quality and sealing (if it rains in the church :p). I'm really all in favor of L by now, too, because it's more dust-resistant and my old non-L macro broke down twice for this reason, but iq-wise lenses like the 100 non-L are practically on par with the L versions that double the price. And some ef-s lenses have very good iq, too - if somebody shot _in_good_light_ with a 18mp aps-c and the ef-s 17-55 or 15-85 you'd say it's just fine.

Upvote 0

gferdinandsen

was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker
brought1 said:

Have a good night.

Having owned both the 100 macro's, I would say the both are just as good for IQ...then again you did mention primes. No, I would not trade the bulk and weight of carrying around my L Series lenses for a lighter weighter version. I've been shooting with L series since I got my first SLR (the venerable 1V) and nothing beets them.

Upvote 0
I think that is probably a really good idea. Let the person that helps you out only use primes. They usually have way better Aperture and sharpness at a lower price point. They also help the budding photographer to become a better photographer, just because the fixed zoom.
A Rebel with a nifty fifty could probably provide really nice backup shots, and at 80mm eq. it would work pretty nicely for candids and fullfigure shots at a distance. Combine/replace it with a wide lens (Sigma 10-20/3.5? Primes that wide for crop are EXPENSIVE) for group shots.

Upvote 0
Marsu42 said:
brought1 said:

To me, this is a bit simplistic because L glass has been around for a long time and old lenses aren't that stellar.

The main advantage is build quality and sealing (if it rains in the church :p). I'm really all in favor of L by now, too, because it's more dust-resistant and my old non-L macro broke down twice for this reason, but iq-wise lenses like the 100 non-L are practically on par with the L versions that double the price. And some ef-s lenses have very good iq, too - if somebody shot _in_good_light_ with a 18mp aps-c and the ef-s 17-55 or 15-85 you'd say it's just fine.

Well, for sure there are "good" efs lenses, as e.g. the ones you mention. Yet, and imo, comparing L and non-L is like comparing good and great wines (that's all I could find...). To many, it's unrealistic to say that one is worth 10 times more than the other. Nobody says that "good" wines are crap. But once you have put some "great" - say one of the 30 greatest - in your mouth, you get it. Not easy to explain. It's far from being sealing or IQ only. For me, it's a matter of depth, texture, volume, feel of the pictures. I sold my 15-85 some time ago but still keep a 10-22 for some uwa shots I happen to take. I know some can extract the best from their efs lenses, but for me, I need to spend more time to process the pictures which I find a bit "flat" for my taste. To try giving them the oomph I find them lacking. Just my 2 cts, but for sure, I'm in L, I'll stay in L.

Upvote 0
I couldnt agree with the title "Once you go "L" you'll never go back...."

I study photography with 450D from my friend, but my first camera was 7D and 24-105 L.. 1 year i use the lens was very happy then, it have good contrast, color rendition, and sharpness was superb...

Someday after i take thousands of picture ( i take for wedding and fashion modelling ) i realize that 24mm isnt wide enough for my crop body.. After i took many times to think, i finally sold my 24-105 L and instead i bought
35 f2,
85 f1.8
50 1.8 and
tamron 17-50 f2.8

I am very happy right now, for general shooting i always shoot with my tamron.. Beside that i love my other lenses very much especially for shooting portraits. Now i can do much with my lens line up rather than with one L lens... Eventhough I hope for upgrading my lens to L if i have sum of money..

Upvote 0

funkboy

6D & a bunch of crazy primes
Jul 28, 2010
elsewhere
My brother does some for-money work as well as a bunch of not-for-money work. He doesn't have a lot of cash so he uses what he's got, which is a 400D and mostly plastic lenses. But his technique and composition are really good & he knows that he needs to stop down like crazy and/or crop a lot for anything that matters, so his clients are always happy with the result.

Only a bad carpenter blames his tools. Teach your friend how to work around the limitations of his gear...

Upvote 0

Marsu42

Canon Pride.
Feb 7, 2012
Berlin
der-tierfotograf.de
funkboy said:
Only a bad carpenter blames his tools. Teach your friend how to work around the limitations of his gear...

But all carpenters use quality, sturdy tools - though they certainly don't always buy the newest laser-guided solar-powered gear. As always, "it's up to the photog" goes with out saying, and of course Canon is in the business of making people feel more secure when using the L-atest stuff.

But still, *if* you don't downscale and *if* there is movement in the scene and *if* the light is rather low or high contrast and *if* you cannot use flash/ want the background lit and *if* there climate is wet/dusty *then* a sturdy/fast lens with a capable sensor surely still skips limitations that aren't photog-dependent.

Upvote 0
Marsu42 said:
But all carpenters use quality, sturdy tools - though they certainly don't always buy the newest laser-guided solar-powered gear.

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2012/03/hammerforum-com

Personally I use an old claw-hammer that I inherited from my grand-father. Never seen any need to upgrade, it drives a nice straigth nail. ;D

Upvote 0
Usually when I shoot with a second shooter, I tell them exactly what I expect them to shoot and how I want them to shoot... My last wedding, amateur, good but not great photographer... He shot 7d and 5d2 and used 135L and 24-105.... It was slightly low light and 90-95% of his 5d2 shots were unusable and he had a slightly better keeper rate with the 7d... Long story short, despite telling him exactly what I wanted, I shot similar stuff just in case, and for the most part, I ended up using only a handful of his shots and most of mine... It was a great learning experience for him and I sat down with him afterwards and critiqued his shooting with him no bars held... He learned quickly... the second shoot I had with him, it was an outdoors event and better lighting, but his keeper rate was much much better... In the end, gear can be crucial, but also you much teach your second shooters, talk to them, and guide them... If they dont know why what they did was wrong or doesn't work, then they would never know and wont improve...

Upvote 0
Actually I agree with this to a point. I own non-L primes such as the 50 1.4, 85 1.8, 100 2.8 macro and they are on point. I also have the 28-135 and that lense is sharp as well. I'm picky when it comes to lenses, the only non Canon one I own is a Sigma 15mm fisheye. For me it's all L from here on in for zooms. In the end it's the creativity and knowledge of the photographer. But top shelf well chosen tools make this easier.

Upvote 0
C

crasher8

awinphoto said:
Usually when I shoot with a second shooter, I tell them exactly what I expect them to shoot and how I want them to shoot... My last wedding, amateur, good but not great photographer... He shot 7d and 5d2 and used 135L and 24-105.... It was slightly low light and 90-95% of his 5d2 shots were unusable and he had a slightly better keeper rate with the 7d... Long story short, despite telling him exactly what I wanted, I shot similar stuff just in case, and for the most part, I ended up using only a handful of his shots and most of mine... It was a great learning experience for him and I sat down with him afterwards and critiqued his shooting with him no bars held... He learned quickly... the second shoot I had with him, it was an outdoors event and better lighting, but his keeper rate was much much better... In the end, gear can be crucial, but also you much teach your second shooters, talk to them, and guide them... If they dont know why what they did was wrong or doesn't work, then they would never know and wont improve...

awin…just for kicks, what were some of the mistakes he made the first time around? Metering? AF? WB?

Upvote 0
awinphoto said:

here i am trying to learn. let me know as if you think that what i think is right (thanks in advance). i am not sure what he paired his set with. as for me i would go with:

1. 5d mark II with 135L (iso 6400, open wide)
2. 7d with 24-105mm (iso 6400, open wide). must use flash on this one a long with -1 and 1/3-2/3 flash power)

7d pair with 70-200mm is II is perfect in low light situation. if light situation is too low, search for spot light assist such as shooting closed to video man... :) kinda cheating huh (having been using this pair in low light number of time, not really having problem with it eventhough i have violated speed all the time (down to 1/50), but thanks to canon IS system...

Upvote 0
Nov 17, 2011
"Once you go "L" you'll never go back.... "

+1....it's hard to go back to non L. I really enjoy 24-70 II & 70-200 f2.8 IS II results. The only lens left in my bag that is not L is 50mm f1.4. I'm thinking selling it and will get the 35mm L this coming x-mas.

I just did lens microadjustment yesterday on my 16-35 II. The results were -5 @ wider end and +3 @ near end. The lens now is a amazing.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.