Opinion: The difficulty facing Canon (and everyone else)

My wife uses her phone to take photos and from a usability standpoint it can't compete with my G5XII. I can reach in my pocket, grab the camera, be turning it on, point, zoom and half-pressing to auto focus by the time she's unlocked her phone and is attempting to start her camera app. I've taken multiple photos and put it away by the time she has taken her first photo.
Surprising. Surely a phone is quicker to grab and start shooting with than any dedicated camera. Grab phone from pocket (often it's already in my hand) - tap screen - swipe once to activate camera app (default on iPhone) - shoot. My R6 isn't much slower, especially if you have it over your shoulder/round your neck, but it's definitely no faster (and unless you're in an auto mode or the settings happen to be just right for what you want to shoot, it takes a bit more fiddling).

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
With the M50 you pushed the 'wifi' button on the side of the camera and it would connect to a pre-configured network. Fire up camera connect or cascable on your phone and you'd have the photo on there pretty quickly.

The R8 makes it nearly impossible to connect to an existing network, so you have to connect your phone to the camera network (and killing your phones connectivity in the process), move over the photo while hoping your phone doesn't move off of the in-camera wifi more than once and then reconnect your phone to the regular wifi.
I can only speak on the R6. I go to the Canon app and connect to the camera, select the photos and upload. It isn't as quick or glitch-free as it should be, but it works a lot better than I ever expected.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0