Patent: A zoom teleconverter, 1.0x-1.5x-2.0x

Jul 21, 2010
I suggest people hoping for this 'TC' actually read the patent. It's not a TC at all, it's an adapter with optics to match image circle to sensor size (and even more generically, the patent includes non-magnification related examples such as ND filters). As was discussed above, this thing has 4 elements.

Not a TC.png

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

SonicStudios

R5
CR Pro
Mar 4, 2020
Always two there are ... opinions ... :) Wow, now your's makes more sense. I was looking at these thinking that the writers had done their research and knew what they were talking about. Really disappointing!!!

Canon patent details a variable-magnification 1.0-2.0x teleconverter with image stabilization, variable ND filter​

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Always two there are ... opinions ... :) Wow, now your's makes more sense. I was looking at these thinking that the writers had done their research and knew what they were talking about. Really disappointing!!!
More detailed analysis here:

At a basic level, a ‘zoom TC’ set to 1x would need to be a reducer (negative magnification, like a speedbooster), requiring a different optical design than an extender. Four elements with two of them sliding back and forth just won’t cut it.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0