Patent: Active cooling adapter for the RF mount

cornieleous

5D4 + R5
Jul 13, 2020
An adapter is fine, but Canon should have designed this from the ground up for video.

Canon should have made the R5 far bigger so it could handle the heat better.
They should have included fans and a far bigger heatsink. While they were making it bigger to better handle the heat, they could have put in built in NDs to make life more convenient for the video shooter.
Oh and with a bigger body to handle the heat better, they could have also put more buttons on the body so that you could change key video settings without having to go in to the menu i.e. dedicated buttons for ISO / shutter / FPS / peaking / zebras etc.
With a bigger body they could have also then had full size HDMI and better audio input abilities e.g. dual XLRs and on-body control for the audio levels etc.
With a bigger body, they could also probably have managed to come up with a solution for swapping out lens mounts easily so YouTuber bloggers could switch between EF and PL mounts for their Vlogs.
Finally they could have had a bigger screen and also larger EVF to make working in video far easier. In fact, they probably just should have removed all the photography features and weather-sealing of the R5 because it's clearly just compromising the video side of the camera.

If only such a camera existed in Canon's range for people that want to do video....

Obvious sarcasm is obvious. LOL!

For 79.99 Canon will just swap out your doorstop R5 for a new C300 MkX with 16K 240 fps liquid helium cooled camera that chews through 8 terabytes of data in 10 seconds. The vbloggers, influencers, and Sony fanboys will still not be happy, and Sony Northrup will still give it a bad review though.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

cornieleous

5D4 + R5
Jul 13, 2020
I read today that Masaya Maeda (head of EOS) was "stepping down for health reasons". That's the Japanese way of announcing he was being replaced. And why not for the poor job he has done at the imaging division ? Substandard sensors, losing the video race, losing the mirrorless race, losing large clients like AP, losing one time enthusiasts like myself, alienating customers with misleading specs, launching faulty products like what we are seeing now.. Canon is badly in need of fresh minds.

Wow you must really be personally hurt by the decisions of a business. Why are you still here bashing instead of out with your Sonikon or whatever?

Thanks for letting me know about the substandard sensors and the fact my cameras aren't the best on spec sheets. I am going to throw them away ASAP tonight after being educated by your wisdom. I'll also throw away my low light time lapses, high quality images, and video, and my arsenal of class leading lenses. We all know 'winning' spec sheet races and the accolades of youtube bloggers and spec sheet fanboys is PARAMOUNT to success. Real world results are meaningless. Canon are evil and should be punished for betraying us!

In reality every single one of your complaints is baseless or irrelevant and you sound like a broken record (Canon is doomed, cripple hammer, wahhhh). Canon, yourself, and the rest of us are all better off if you move on to other brands that suit you better and stop whining- or do you have another agenda for being here? I'd say Canon are not the ones in need of a fresh perspective.

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0
Obvious sarcasm is obvious. LOL!

For 79.99 Canon will just swap out your doorstop R5 for a new C300 MkX with 16K 240 fps liquid helium cooled camera that chews thourgh 8 terabytes of data in 10 seconds. The vbloggers, influencers, and Sony fanboys will still not be happy, and Sony Northrup will still give it a bad review though.
Wow you must really be personally hurt by the decisions of a business. Why are you still here bashing instead of out with your Sonikon or whatever?

Thanks for letting me know about the substandard sensors and the fact my cameras aren't the best on spec sheets. I am going to throw them away ASAP tonight after being educated by your wisdom. I'll also throw away my low light time lapses, high quality images, and video, and my arsenal of class leading lenses. We all know 'winning' spec sheet races and the accolades of youtube bloggers and spec sheet fanboys is PARAMOUNT to success. Real world results are meaningless. Canon are evil and should be punished for betraying us!

In reality every single one of your complaints is baseless or irrelevant and you sound like a broken record (Canon is doomed, cripple hammer, wahhhh). Canon, yourself, and the rest of us are all better off if you move on to other brands that suit you better and stop whining- or do you have another agenda for being here? I'd say Canon are not the ones in need of a fresh perspective.
I wouldn't have given him my time , but well said I did chuckle , I was amazed how he could come out with all that crap , and still not spell Canon correctly in his name .

Upvote 0

cornieleous

5D4 + R5
Jul 13, 2020
Sneaky Canon had this in their sights all the time , I wonder how well it sorts the overheating issues , this could change everything . What fabulous marketing Canon , release a camera , the next day release a statement it over heats which gets everyone talking about it , including the Sony Fan boys running it down , and then hit them with this , hahahahah brilliant . I should imagine there is one in the pipeline for the RF glass also , that will come out at the same time .

This is only a patent, not a product so far. Also, if they make one for RF glass, it will change the distance of the lens to the sensor, and I'm not sure that is possible or not.

While I guess it would be nice to have this cooling adapter one day, the R5 is a phenomenal and competitively priced stills camera with bonus video features as it stands today.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
This is only a patent, not a product so far. Also, if they make one for RF glass, it will change the distance of the lens to the sensor, and I'm not sure that is possible or not.

While I guess it would be nice to have this cooling adapter one day, the R5 is a phenomenal and competitively priced stills camera with bonus video features as it stands today.
Yes even if they made one for RF lenses , I won't be buying it as I simply don't need it , the only video I do is short bursts , so it won't affect me that much anyway

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
The R5 (I probably won't buy it / R6 specs is more than enough for me to upgrade from 6D2) is just right as it is, including the heat, as probably the majority of R5 users will not use if for video recording most of the time. So adding a cooling system via adapter for those who like to record more than just video clips for YouTube etc. is fine, and the other photo enthusiasts like me would be left with a lighter body instead of a bulky and heavy one which could even have issues with fan noise.

On the other hand, I wonder if this could have some benefits for astrophotographers as a cool sensor equals less hot pixels, too.

Upvote 0

scottkinfw

Wildlife photography is my passion
CR Pro
I read today that Masaya Maeda (head of EOS) was "stepping down for health reasons". That's the Japanese way of announcing he was being replaced. And why not for the poor job he has done at the imaging division ? Substandard sensors, losing the video race, losing the mirrorless race, losing large clients like AP, losing one time enthusiasts like myself, alienating customers with misleading specs, launching faulty products like what we are seeing now.. Canon is badly in need of fresh minds.
I like fresh minds. I don't think "the race" is ever over. I wouldn't pronounce the R5 and R6 DOA before it ever gets out of the starting gate. I for one (and only one) will not cancel my order.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
it sounds like pretty lame to me... with that air turbulent flow of air your sensor will get tons of dust per se, and then if it flows quick enough or in poorer weather with some fine particles you likely kill off your camera. plus it drains battery which the MILC don't have much on tab anyway, not to say just as a dozen of others said here you kills off the better RF lens being used for the camera to take great video

Upvote 0
Far too much is being made of this overheating issue.
If you need to take long 8K video, spend $20k and get a video camera with cooling.
Personally, I'd rather have good weathersealing.
Sonikon fanboys have to have something to knock Canon about, but, they still sell more cameras than Sony and Nikon combined.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0